Mad Men

Flight 1

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 03, 2008 on AMC

• The writers need to take a break from 1960s time period research and do some cultural fact checks.

3.5
    I'll get to the title in a sec.

Pete gets a bad rap for being so greasy (personality-wise, not literally), but I've always kinda felt for the guy. He didn't get genuine, unconditional love from his father, and so he's never had a positive male figure after whom to model himself. So he turns to his coworkers and superiors, especially Don. At first I was confused as to why Pete, upon learning of his father's death, would go straight to Don. Why not Harry, Ken, or even Peggy? Then I realized that Don was his father figure. As little as Pete cared about ruining Don's life with his blackmail scheme, Pete saw Don as someone he wants to become. Therefore, when Pete's real father died, he naturally turned to Don.

So now, for what made me laugh so hard about this episode. Don and the Mohawk guy were clearly in a Japanese restaurant. Why on Earth was the waitress wearing Chinese garb?? And why has no one else pointed this out?? Everyone praises the writers for such accuracy at portraying the 1960s. How about we learn the difference between what is Japanese and Chinese?