Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

2x11: "The Jet Set" (10-12-08)

harihudson

[1]Oct 12, 2008
    • level: 15

Roger comtemplates a second marriage before the first one is officially over.

Don and Pete experience L.A, while the rest of the office mice play.

Please discuss the episode in this thread.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lazlow63

[2]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    Another winner. "No, let them open the kimono." Ha ha!

harihudson

[3]Oct 13, 2008

What is going on w/ Don?!! He created a life/identity, but is still so unhappy, he's got to escape? Where is this going?

Cheers to Peggy for finally looking like an adult. However, she couldn't/wouldn't take the same advice from Joan, it went askew from Bobbie, but because Kurt was a peer/friendly, she let him chop her hair? I guess she didn't see him as a threat. Hmmm...

Sly Duck! Silly Roger.

tjaman

[4]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 32
    What the heck was that? "Mad Men" is not "Mad Men" without Don Draper in New York working in advertising and married to Betty. Yep, there can be problems and disconnects with all of these situations, but it's going the wrong direction for Jon Hamm's Draper to revert to Dick Whitman and transform without provocation into a West Coast playboy.

Yes, his wife is bla-beeblebleeblebedeeble and showing signs of early onset and things are far from perfect, but he still makes time for his kids and he's still the hot-skite creative director and junior partner in a more than reasonably successful ad firm on Madison Avenue. There are a few rungs on the ladder yet to fall before the onset of a full nervous breakdown, a vague drug-besimmered Palm Springs playboy commune and a bizarre bedroom scene with a father and a daughter and partial nudity. For G-d's sake, just minutes before his complete disconnect with all sense of what this show is and subsequent dive into the very middle of a David Lynch film, he'd been cracking the whip on Pete. "You wanna be here on vacation, Campbell? Cause I can make that happen." Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go over here and take leave of my senses.

Meanwhile, poolside, he's still the god-king of all he surveys, whereas the moment he gets to Palm Springs he succumbs to heat stroke? I don't buy it.

I did love Sterling's scene with Jane in bed. That was art from beginning to end. Sadly, Duck's making hay out of it (Hey! It's MR. SHEFFIELD! ) Wild. Peggy's acceptance of Kurt was nice, tho, especially after everyone else's pointless commentary on it.

This was just a weird episode, and I for one am displeased.

E_Queen

[5]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    tjaman wrote:
    What the heck was that? "Mad Men" is not "Mad Men" without Don Draper in New York working in advertising and married to Betty. Yep, there can be problems and disconnects with all of these situations, but it's going the wrong direction for Jon Hamm's Draper to revert to Dick Whitman and transform without provocation into a West Coast playboy.

Yes, his wife is bla-beeblebleeblebedeeble and showing signs of early onset and things are far from perfect, but he still makes time for his kids and he's still the hot-skite creative director and junior partner in a more than reasonably successful ad firm on Madison Avenue. There are a few rungs on the ladder yet to fall before the onset of a full nervous breakdown, a vague drug-besimmered Palm Springs playboy commune and a bizarre bedroom scene with a father and a daughter and partial nudity. For G-d's sake, just minutes before his complete disconnect with all sense of what this show is and subsequent dive into the very middle of a David Lynch film, he'd been cracking the whip on Pete. "You wanna be here on vacation, Campbell? Cause I can make that happen." Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go over here and take leave of my senses.

Meanwhile, poolside, he's still the god-king of all he surveys, whereas the moment he gets to Palm Springs he succumbs to heat stroke? I don't buy it.

I did love Sterling's scene with Jane in bed. That was art from beginning to end. Sadly, Duck's making hay out of it (Hey! It's MR. SHEFFIELD! ) Wild. Peggy's acceptance of Kurt was nice, tho, especially after everyone else's pointless commentary on it.

This was just a weird episode, and I for one am displeased.

I think I agree completely! Wow...and Mr. Sheffield I was thinking the same thing! lol...I guess we will see how it goes.

ceosmom

[6]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 20
    I hate the whole Don-in-California, hanging with the grifters (or whatever the hell they are) thing. Maybe the writers are just buying time for some reason? I can't stand Betty, but I missed her last night. The rest of the episode was gold. How about the European dude coming out to the staff? WOW...I thought big Sal was gonna do a Freddie and pee himself! And finally, Peggy is lookin' good...
    Edited on 10/13/2008 2:31pm

harihudson

[7]Oct 13, 2008

tjaman wrote:
    whereas the moment he gets to Palm Springs he succumbs to heat stroke? I don't buy it.

Yeah, I don't know what season is was back in NYC, but I'd think one would be more likely to have heat exhaustion in the muggy, towering buildings, masses of people city than from having just ridden in a convertible. I've never read Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, so I don't get the significance of these people or Don ripping the ending out.

tjaman wrote:
    (Hey! It's MR. SHEFFIELD! ) Wild. Peggy's acceptance of Kurt was nice, tho, especially after everyone else's pointless commentary on it. This was just a weird episode, and I for one am displeased.

I was out of the room when I heard Mr. Sheffield's voice! (I loved The Nanny)

One minute, Cosgrove seems to have some depth and be secure (poetry/writing emotional pieces, not being afraid to greet Kinsey's GF w/ a kiss on the cheek), then he reverts to being an jerk. I'm glad Kurt wasn't concerned or cowed by the other's reactions. Sal sure didn't know what to make of him, but I think he will avoid him at all costs.

Is there only 1 more show left of season or will there just be a short hiatus and more episodes?

MegPierce

[8]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    I found it completely out of Don's character for him to ditch Pete during "business", to go hang out with some girl he doesn't know. He told Pete it wasn't a vacation but he sure made it that way for himself. I was disapointed in Don for doing that but I guess we've come to expect the unexpected with him.

I felt so bad for Sal after whatshisface came out. He had this look on his face like he can forget any chance of his "friends" excepting him as he is and also like wow...so that's what they'd all say about me if they knew. Poor guy....

I like the fact that Peggy has a new look, although when she got dressed up to go to the strip club with the boys she looked much better than now. Oh well....

RAYcluse

[9]Oct 13, 2008

I'm glad Peggy is finally stepping out of herself with Kurt's help. I wonder how Kurt's new image will affect the rest of the season?

I really don't understand these drifters that Don was hanging out with. Is there some historical siginificance to their character I'm not getting? Were people squatting in California before hippies were invented?

As for Faulkner/The Sound and the Fury, I did notice some significance. Faulkner's writing is a lot like this show, because all of his stories are connected to characters in a fake southern town he created. Everything he wrote is a giant character study of this fictional area, which is similar to how Mad Men operates. The end of the story, which I'm vauge on details from reading it so long ago, is very similar to Don's situation now. The main characters are going home from a church I believe, when they take an alternate route home. One of the characters is uncomfortable and starts making a fuss about the new route home, until the driver turns the carriage around to go back home the normal way, and the uncomfortable charcter is calm again.

It reminds me of how Dick has taken Dons life (an alternate route) but now is going back to Dicks life and is feeling calm again. It kind of explains his fainting at the pool, which I kind of see as him making a fuss over his "alternate route" since that's what got him in that strange situation.

I'm not saying I'm right, but that's how I remember the book when I read it six years ago. Anyone else have a clearer picture of this book?

guyroy1971

[10]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 12

good reply in the Faulkner explanation! This writer did also help on the Sopranos, so a literature reference would not surprise me. I took Don's strange journey to be Tony Soprano-esque in nature as well. The jet set people represented to me a counter part to Don's life up to now since he took that identity. They are rich, care free and sleep with who they want, when they want. His life as Don was the perfect wife, kids, and job. Dick was his rebellion to this life and I believe his affairs were a sign that he was rebelling against the perfect life he made up as Don. I believe he is reverting to Dick again now that he believes his marriage is on the rocks. It does not look like Betty is going to take him back (at least not up until now) and the job is obviously not enough to keep him in NY. His fake perfect life is in shambles and he liked the artificially fake people he met in LA and is weighing whether to abandon his "Don" life.

harihudson

[11]Oct 14, 2008
    Interesting points re: book analogies. Thanks.

E_Queen

[12]Oct 14, 2008

I am just catching up this season. But all of your points sound interesting. Does anyone know where I can find season one? Oh and I love The Nanny too...true story, The Nanny (me looking it up lol) is what got me hooked on TV.COM...TVTOME at the time . I love when seeing Mr. Schefield in guest roles .