Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

2x13 "Meditations in an Emergency" (10-26-08)

Eric10301

[21]Oct 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    Some of you guys obviously don't pay enough attention while watching. The whole peggy giving birth and her sister taking care of it was covered along with Don covering for her while she was in the hospital. Duck has pleanty to worry about, the thing about Don not being under contract is a much bigger deal than I think people realize. Don not being under contract allows him to leave the agency and take any client with him, assuming they wanted to. If he was under contract he wouldnt be able to do that. Duck says "Thats why god put non compete clauses in contract."
    Edited on 10/28/2008 7:09am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Eric10301

[22]Oct 28, 2008
    gpatton wrote:

Draper returns and except for changing his identity back to "Dick Whitman" the trip was normal and everyone is happy to see him back.

Huh? he didnt change his identity back. He is still assuming the name Don Drapper.

tjaman

[23]Oct 28, 2008
    • level: 32
    He told people he was Dick Whitman while he was in California, and he talked to the Widow Draper, and she knows he's not Don Draper.

Also, there's no call to say people aren't watching carefully enough or miss some details. This show is very atmospheric and makes many demands on its viewers in terms of intuiting what's going on from one scene to the next, so "obviously don't pay enough attention" is unnecessarily confrontational and out of place in a pleasant discussion forum. Cheers.

ceosmom

[24]Oct 28, 2008
    • level: 20

Nicely put, tjaman. While the plot sometimes seems slow moving, it's also extremely complex; if you step out of the room for a glass of water, you might miss something that may not seem important or be obvious until a later episode (or season!)

Here's a thought: who's to say Peggy didn't keep her baby and is lying to Pete about giving it up for adoption (perhaps so he doesn't feel obligated to leave his wife and marry her, maybe because she doesn't want Pete but thought he had a right to know, etc.)

Duck is s suicide waiting to happen, mark my words. I'm wondering if his little hissy fit in front of the PPL suits woun't have them thinking twice about his presidency. I wouldn't be surprised if Duck takes a leap from the roof and Draper ends up in the boss' seat. Don may have "walked out", but he ain't going anywhere.

Edited on 10/28/2008 10:25am
    Edited 2 total times.

guyroy1971

[25]Oct 28, 2008
    I thought it was a good episode. The cuban missle crisis was a context for real decisions to be made. I don't believe Don will be gone for long. He is known for being the talent in Sterling Cooper and the Brits will want him back, especially since he was not under contract and could take clients with him.

Betty's cheating was a shock since she had a holier than thou approach to infedility in the past. I believe the preganancy made this easier for her as the risks of having sex with a guy went down to zero (she cant get preganant now with another man's child) I believe she took Don back because she got even and because the new preganancy made this a practical choice.

I don;t believe Pete was going to kill himself. He is just under a lot of pressure. He just found out he is a father, he is in an unhappy marriage and he knows his waspish family is broke. He is overwhelmed and the missle crises also played into it. He probably wants to be with Peggy but knows that boat has sailed. I don't think she would have him even if he divorced. He also obviously craves Don's appoval, since once Don stated he was ready he dropped his questioning of Don.

Duck might not be around much longer next season. The brits will want Don back and Duck made his play, if he does lose control of the presidency of the agency he will be "out"

tjaman

[26]Oct 28, 2008
    • level: 32
    ceosmom wrote:
    Don may have "walked out", but he ain't going anywhere.

Oh, totally agree. It's that goose and the golden eggs thing. Compared to Don, Duck is an unbroken string of loss and disappointments. They'd opt to keep the one over the other in a heartbeat.

RAYcluse

[27]Oct 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    tjaman wrote:
    Also, there's no call to say people aren't watching carefully enough or miss some details. This show is very atmospheric and makes many demands on its viewers in terms of intuiting what's going on from one scene to the next, so "obviously don't pay enough attention" is unnecessarily confrontational and out of place in a pleasant discussion forum. Cheers.

Totally agree. I was just stating it, but in no way meant it to be rude. I miss things all the time so I try watching it a few times before I actually say anything.

mjames1229

[28]Nov 3, 2008
    • level: 7

tjaman wrote:

My wife was bored with this season until the last episode.

I told her that Mad Men is The Sporanos but without as much violence... the charachters were well developed, some plotlines were completed in one episode while others lasted over multiple seasons, etc. Even the camera work is the same in terms of the long shots (notice when Betty was in the doctor's office, she was the center of the shot while we got the view of the entire office. The Sopranos did that alot in Dr. Melfi's waiting room.)

That is because Matthew Weiner is the creater, and he came from under David Chase's wing on The Sopranos.