We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Mad Men Forums

AMC (ended 2015)

Angry fans put 'Mad Men' in dog house for abandoned Chauncey. What do you think?

So will you stop watching Mad Men because of what Duck did???

JohnnyDrama8

[1]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 10
    Apparently a bunch of fans of Mad Men have stopped watching the show in regards to how Duck (dumbest name ever after Apple) put his dog Chauncey out in the cold. The artice is here if you don't beleive me http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080831/ENTERTAIN/80901001. I know people care a lot about their dogs I have a border collie I could never to that to him but I am not going to stop watching the show because of it. Apparently this not the first time something like this has happened in Entertainment the Movie Payback with Mel Gibson did really bad because a dog was shot in killed in the movie. I liked Payback but what can you do. What do you think???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 32
    Of all the reasons to stop watching "Mad Men," that is by far the dumbest I've ever heard.

The dog. Is. Fine. It's being perfectly well cared for and was never in any real danger of being abandoned.

They wrote that scene specifically to show that Duck is the hole of an ass.

thefanof

[3]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 102

This is ridiculous. If someone shoots somebody in a movie do you now hate that actor?

He was playing a character. We now know that Duck is a cold, angry businessman who has no remorse. It's no reason to stop watching the program.

tjaman

[4]Sep 2, 2008
    I just read the article and ... wow, are people dumb.

ceosmom

[5]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 20

I was just about to start a related thread here:

I think the reason Duck let the dog go is because he's going to commit suicide. Notice he went right back into the building. I think he's going to jump from the ledge outside Sterling Cooper. Call it a hunch.

welwynrose

[6]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 14
    I think it's damn silly to stop watching a tv programme just because of the actions of one of the characters in that programme - come on people get a grip

JohnnyDrama8

[7]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    I heard someone else also say they think Duck is going to commit suicide as well. He doesn't mesh well with the rest of the cast in my opinion.

MirellaRework

[8]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 8

they overreacted. they always did.

and about duck, i think he is desperate now. everyone is gone, the only one would stay was the dog, and he abandoned it.

rubadon

[9]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 2
    tjaman wrote:
    Of all the reasons to stop watching "Mad Men," that is by far the dumbest I've ever heard. The dog. Is. Fine. It's being perfectly well cared for and was never in any real danger of being abandoned. They wrote that scene specifically to show that Duck is the hole of an ass.
    If "they" followed the story line, "they" would know that Duck left the dog with his children to maintain some continuity after he and his wife divorced. This also was his connection to the family. When he found out that the children were planning to ditch Chauncey, because the wife's fiance was allergic, there was no point in hanging on to the dog. After all, I'm sure there was a handler outside the door to take Chauncey safely home. DUH, rubadon

rubadon

[10]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 2
    tjaman wrote:
    Of all the reasons to stop watching "Mad Men," that is by far the dumbest I've ever heard. The dog. Is. Fine. It's being perfectly well cared for and was never in any real danger of being abandoned. They wrote that scene specifically to show that Duck is the hole of an ass.
    Evidently, someone is not following the story line. Duck left the dog with his children to maintain some continuity. When he found out the children were planning to ditch Chauncey because the wife's fiance was allergic, there was no reason to keep the dog. I'm sure there was a handler right outside the door to take Chauncey safely home. rubadon

tjaman

[11]Oct 8, 2008
    It's good to feel superior, yes?

Lazlow63

[12]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 4
    It's funny how people react. Myself, I was surprised how disturbed I was to see the Drapers commit pre-meditated littering. The whole next day I was like "How could they?" Ha ha!

prettyedy

[13]Oct 27, 2008
    • level: 23
    I loved the scene. When Duck was with Chauncey in his office I thought, "Aw, the love of his dog will keep him from taking a drink." I loved that the writers took me one way and then did something so "unthinkable."

God, I love this show.

electricpeppers

[14]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 26
    JohnnyDrama8 wrote:
    Apparently a bunch of fans of Mad Men have stopped watching the show in regards to how Duck (dumbest name ever after Apple) put his dog Chauncey out in the cold. The artice is here if you don't beleive me http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080831/ENTERTAIN/80901001. I know people care a lot about their dogs I have a border collie I could never to that to him but I am not going to stop watching the show because of it. Apparently this not the first time something like this has happened in Entertainment the Movie Payback with Mel Gibson did really bad because a dog was shot in killed in the movie. I liked Payback but what can you do. What do you think???

That's so... asinine.

tvcomman

[15]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 4

Good grief, people!

This stuff happens in real life as well. Apparently, no one gets upset anymore if TV characters sleep around, do drugs and anything else immoral, but let a dog out into the street - OH NO!