Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Don + Peggy = LUV?

Should Peggy and Don get together?

  • Avatar of sasou82

    sasou82

    [1]Sep 8, 2010
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 367

    I have been watching Mad Men since the show started and through the years I have began wanting Don and Peggy to get together, but I have not seen anyone comment on that on here. Or maybe someone did in an earlier post, but I missed it. Any-who, I am just wondering if I am the only person who wants Peggy and Don to hook up?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [2]Sep 8, 2010
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,072
    PLEASE, PLEASE, NO. If anything, Don is Peggy's surrogate father, not his next sexual conquest. The fact that you would start a thread on this topic is almost appalling.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sasou82

    sasou82

    [3]Sep 8, 2010
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 367

    Oh get over it! We are talking about ACTORS!!!! People's perception of their relationship is different! Everyone in the office on the show already thinks that they hit the sheets: it has been said MANY times! So I guess the writers have a dirty mind just like me! Surrogate father my butt! He is her mentor... that does not have to mean a father figure. I personally am all for the relationship because I think that Peggy would make Don a better person and because she knows him; and is getting to know the real him better all the time. So if you want to be disgusted at the thought of 2 adults getting together go ahead... I for one am all for their relationship so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of theblackskys

    theblackskys

    [4]Sep 8, 2010
    • member since: 08/02/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 5

    I don't think Don and Peggy should ever get together... not in any hypothetical sense either. I think what makes this show so great is that it's not all about the GF + BF Relationships that you see all over the place in other shows... it tries to reach beyond that. For example, Don and Anna's relationship. I've heard that they should get together but then it would just upset the balance of the show and maybe even hurt the depth of the chars because many of their scenes just wouldn't make sense. If you analyze the chars, their backgrounds, and what they did up to this point them getting together just wouldn't seem very logical. It would seem forced and illogical in the development of the chars. Same with Don + Peggy. He is her mentor. I'm still unsure about the father figure thing but... just thinking about them getting together, I believe, may ruin that dynamic because it will eventually become less about the mentor ship and more about the "love" relationship which isn't what, I believe, Peggy and Don were never about. I think Peggy is suppose to be another version of Don... rising from nothing and maybe even with the potential to be the creative genius Don has. Long answer... but just explaining why most people haven't brought up the topic... because, I'm assuming most wouldn't want to see them together.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ana_jovanovic

    ana_jovanovic

    [5]Sep 18, 2010
    • member since: 04/14/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 573

    That would ruin the show. What makes Mad Men so much better than other shows is that characters in it behave more like people in real life would. SO, if in real life, for example, you have a friend that you feel attracted to, even for a second, you don't jump into bed with them, you take into consideration what you might gain and what you might lose if you do so. This moment came and went with Peggy and Don a long time ago. They are justco-workers, who became close friends.


    Why would you want them to ruin it for the sake of fulfilling your sexual fantasy of them doing it?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sasou82

    sasou82

    [6]Sep 18, 2010
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 367

    Why would you assume that just because I am interested in two fictional characters getting together that it is a sexual fantasy of mine? Believe me my sex life has nothing to do with Don Draper and Peggy Olsen. I like watching shows where unexpected characters get together. You do not have to agree with me, in fact I didn't expect anyone to agree with me, but I thought I would pose the question. I am starting to think that many Mad Men fans' minds are stuck in the 60's... thinking outside of the box was not always readily accepted then either; at least not outside of the world of advertising.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of djboy77

    djboy77

    [7]Sep 18, 2010
    • member since: 06/26/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 287

    Ugh, it's the Ugly Betty thing all over again.


    The two main (heterosexual) male and female characters must inevitably be shoved together. He, a womanizing bad boy, she a plain but sweet-natured good girl who "fixes" him, teaches him to love, blah blah blah..... yawn


    No, of course they shouldn't.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ana_jovanovic

    ana_jovanovic

    [8]Sep 19, 2010
    • member since: 04/14/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 573

    sasou82 wrote:
    Why would you assume that just because I am interested in two fictional characters getting together that it is a sexual fantasy of mine? Believe me my sex life has nothing to do with Don Draper and Peggy Olsen.


    I will remind you that you said in your first post "I have been watching Mad Men since the show started and through the years I have began wanting Don and Peggy to get together" that means you have imagined them together and you liked it. That is a fantasy, just because it is a sexual fantasy, it doesn't have to mean that it hasanythingto do, (or that any of us, me included) are interested in YOUR sex life.




    sasou82 wrote:
    I like watching shows where unexpected characters get together.


    That can work for shows like Ugly Betty (like someone mentioned) where two characters will inevitably be pushed together for no other reason that he is heterosexual male and she is a heterosexual female. In some shows (not limited to Med Men) characters behave logically.



    sasou82 wrote:
    I am starting to think that many Mad Men fans' minds are stuck in the 60's... thinking outside of the box was not always readily accepted then either; at least not outside of the world of advertising.


    No, we are not stuck in the 60's, just after 3 years of watching the show we got used to certain standards, and these two getting together, at this point, would be meaningless, and contrived. It would beunnatural for the characters to behave like that. And before you say anything like "Oh they're just actors, get over it" yes they are. But, in the world of Med Men they are Don and Peggy, they are not some people pretending to be Don and Peggy.


    Cheers!




    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dianehpeters

    dianehpeters

    [9]Sep 19, 2010
    • member since: 09/19/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    yes you are! a ridiculous couple.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sasou82

    sasou82

    [10]Sep 20, 2010
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 367

    Wow Ana... thanks for (TRYING) to put me in my place! Thanks for telling me what I fantasize about. Let me see: Right now I am wanting some carrot sticks... guess that means I am having fantasies about carrots. Please! I think what I think and I have spoken to many Mad Men fans (in person and on other sites) after postng this thread and have found many people who agree with me. There are many of us out there who like to seethe "good girl" end up with the "bad boy.":-)I understand the reluctance that everyone on here has about the idea of Don and Peggy getting together, but that does not mean that it could not happen. The entire series has not been written so who knows where the writers and producers are going to go? Also, never watched Ugly Betty so I have no idea what those references mean... I can only assume... so good luck with whatever that is/was.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ana_jovanovic

    ana_jovanovic

    [11]Sep 20, 2010
    • member since: 04/14/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 573

    sasou82 wrote:
    Wow Ana... thanks for (TRYING) to put me in my place!


    You're welcome SuSu (THAT"S how you do irony on the internet)




    sasou82 wrote:
    There are many of us out there who like to see the "good girl" end up with the "bad boy.":-)


    Peggy is not "the good girl" and Don is not "the bad boy". That's the beauty of this show. Not one characteron the show is "good" or "bad", they're all human, and as such make mistakes, and pick themselves up, and do good things, or choose not to act at all...




    sasou82 wrote:
    The entire series has not been written so who knows where the writers and producers are going to go? Also, never watched Ugly Betty so I have no idea what those references mean... I can only assume... so good luck with whatever that is/was.


    Somebody else mentioned Ugly Betty and I thought I'd go with that, but hey, just delete that and add the name of any other show with male and female characters... The show has not been written to the end, but the characters have been created, and they do behave in specific ways not because it's written in the script, but it would make more sense to say that the script is written so that the characters could remain true to themselves. And Peggy and Don getting together would not be logical for those two characters at this point of the show.


    Now, you posed a (yes and no) question, most of us here disagreed with you, and stated our reasons for doing so. Why are you constantly coming back trying to convince us that we're wrong? If your reasons for wanting Don and Peggy to get together is (1) the good girl bad guy thing or (2) you want to see unexpected characters gettogether, that's not good enough to change, well at least my mind... And also those reasons are a bit silly, don't you think?


    Cheers SuSu!





    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sasou82

    sasou82

    [13]Sep 20, 2010
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 367

    First of all it's Sasou... get it right little (wannabe ironic)girl... And when did I say anyone was WRONG? I never once even came close to insinuating that: Read carefully child. As a matter of fact more people have tried to convince me that I was wrong then the other way around. I am not the kind of person totell someone that they are wrongjust because they do not agreewith the.No one is WRONG or RIGHT on here it is all opinion. And I can defend my opinion until the friggin cows come home. What is considered logical to you is just plain playing it safe to me. So next time you wanna act like a little kid on athread try it with someone else... cuz SASOU82 ain't the one for you to play these little games with... Step off lil' one. I am not a yo-yo so I am not going back and forth with you anymore.You're done.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ana_jovanovic

    ana_jovanovic

    [14]Sep 20, 2010
    • member since: 04/14/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 573

    sasou82 wrote:
    First of all it's Sasou... get it right little (wannabe ironic)girl... And when did I say anyone was WRONG? I never once even came close to insinuating that: Read carefully child. As a matter of fact more people have tried to convince me that I was wrong then the other way around. I am not the kind of person totell someone that they are wrongjust because they do not agreewith the.No one is WRONG or RIGHT on here it is all opinion. And I can defend my opinion until the friggin cows come home. What is considered logical to you is just plain playing it safe to me. So next time you wanna act like a little kid on athread try it with someone else... cuz SASOU82 ain't the one for you to play these little games with... Step off lil' one. I am not a yo-yo so I am not going back and forth with you anymore.You're done.


    I guess the cows have come home, so you have to go. OK, I'll respect that.


    I called you SuSu BECAUSE it's NOT your nickname. I was beingcondescending giving you a cute nickname. It is like you calling me "child" and "little girl" just now, only better


    You should read back because YOU came back after every "No" to say "But why not? Wouldn't they be so cute together?". People who disagreed felt the need to say why we disagree, you can take it or leave it (please leave it, oh please just leave it).


    That's it for me, for now cutie pie. I won't promise not to come back, 'cos I'm having too much fun .


    P.S. Logical for you means playing it safe??? So you would rather have characters go about like flies with their heads cut off, not knowing where they're going and what they're doing just for yourentertainment? Joan and Roger getting together last night was so logical, but I was still shocked to see it happen.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sasou82

    sasou82

    [16]Sep 21, 2010
    • member since: 11/18/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 367

    ana_jovanovic wrote:


    You should read back because YOU came back after every "No" to say "But why not? Wouldn't they be so cute together?". People who disagreed felt the need to say why we disagree, you can take it or leave it (please leave it, oh please just leave it).


    That's it for me, for now cutie pie. I won't promise not to come back, 'cos I'm having too much fun



    All right since I am such a good sport and you obviously are enjoying our little game of yo-yoing (although I would suggestyou going out and being with the 3 dimensional people sometimes)I am going to send the cows back out on a little vacation. Please tell me when and where did I say that Don and Peggy would be so cute together. If that comment is there I'm sure you would find it.In fact I did not come back with a commentafter every "No" and if you would take some time (which you obviously seem to have a lot of) and read back over the posts you would see that. And I have no problem at all if people disagree with me, that's what I started the thread for: to gauge public opinion. I do however have a problem with a person who feels that they need to try to ram their opinion down someone's throat by making ridiculous/immatureassumptions and comments.



    Happy you are having fun... and just for a moment let me act your age: Peace out suckah!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ana_jovanovic

    ana_jovanovic

    [17]Sep 21, 2010
    • member since: 04/14/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 573


    sasou82 wrote:
    All right since I am such a good sport and you obviously are enjoying our little game of yo-yoing (although I would suggestyou going out and being with the 3 dimensional people sometimes) I am going to send the cows back out on a little vacation.


    Was that thing in the brackets an insult? Or are the cows back home yet?


    sasou82 wrote:
    Please tell me when and where did I say that Don and Peggy would be so cute together.


    You didn't, but by rephrasing your oh so eloquently posed question, I was being condescending, and by that I hoped to demonstrate to you how ridiculous I find your suggestion in the first place.


    sasou82 wrote:
    Happy you are having fun... and just for a moment let me act your age: Peace out suckah!


    You don't know my age... and that is definitely not acting my age, or a three dimensional person, as you like to call us real people, for that matter... And since it's not fun any more, it's more sad (since you DID come back), I'll bid you adieu!


    Adieu!

    Edited on 09/21/2010 8:11am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Orbster251

    Orbster251

    [18]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 10/19/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 14

    I like their friendship, there are no obligations and no sexual attraction...just a mere platonic relationship ...where people really care about each other. We need characters like that on TV.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RhettClemens

    RhettClemens

    [19]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 08/03/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 3

    For a while i felt the same way, but after watching the suitcase episode I think they would


    be better off as friends.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sibowittz

    sibowittz

    [20]Oct 14, 2010
    • member since: 03/05/08
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,217
    Dumb idea. No, they're great as they are.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.