Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

I just started watching this season, I love this show!

jonhammishot

[1]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 1

Hi,

I saw Jon Hamm on "The View" and thought he was really handsome so I started watching the show this season. I love this show! Not only because Jon Hamm is hot, but I also love the nostalgia. Everything seems so accurate for the time period. The sets, the clothes, the make-up, the acting the writing, everything is wonderful. I looked up info on the show on the AMCTV website and got caught up on Season 1. I wanted to find somewhere to post that was more user friendly so here I am. Don Draper is morally reprehensible, but he is hot. Am I the only one who thinks so?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 32
    I love the nostalgia, and the look and feel of the show. I also like the matter-of-fact class distinctions drawn throughout. Everyone's so open and OK with all the racism and sexism. It's a window on a completely different world, and it's so cool to see how far we've come.

As for Jon, well, everyone on the show is just freeqishly beautiful and the look is beyond perfect, so he certainly fits in.

garoovy

[3]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 2
    Yes, I agree with how far society (or at least the workplace??) has come. Though I was only one year old in 1960, I recall the rampant racisim and sexism as a child and a teenager. It was all around me. It still existed when I joined the workforce myself, in the early 80s, and still does, though has been mitigated A LOT, thank goodness.

Terrific show, just terrific. Like going back in a time machine. The ashtray floor stands, the hideous home decor, the ever-present ugly brooches the women wear, the terror of out-of-wedlock pregnancy....very authenic!

JohnnyDrama8

[4]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    Welcome to the show I discovered it recently as well before the second season started I watched the whole first season on-demand. I think it is a wonderful and well written. Suprised it only has a 8.6 ranking on here it deserves better. I just got the first season on blu-ray and enjoying it all over again. I like the Ken Cosgrove and Paul Kinsey. The line when Kinsey says to Cosgrove "I knew I was competing with the other guys in the office I just didn't know I was competing with you." Then Cosgrove says to Kinsey with perfect delivery "You Lost." Perfect writing there.

E_Queen

[5]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 10
    Hi all!! I too just started watching after all the Emmy buz me & my mom were like "What show is that, have you heard of it." lol. I am trying to catch up, but so far I LOVE IT!! Oh and don't worry about the TV.COM ratings...one person not liking the show can come on and bring the rating down...lol.

Lazlow63

[6]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 4

I am enjoying this season much more than the first one. It's more compelling now. Much of the first season dealt with drinking and womanizing. It was mostly fascinating because there was a lot of deft period references.

This season the plot-lines are getting more complex and a lot of the characters are gaining depth and becoming more believable.

My only concern is that they seem to be getting sloppy in terms of authentic period dialog. I'm 45 years old and I remember first hearing phrases like "family-friendly," "it's a train-wreck" and "it's all good" in the '90s. (I believe the term "user-friendly" was coined by Apple Computers when they first marketed PCs in the late '70s. Later came the expression "family-friendly.")