Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

I'm Tired of Waiting for Something to Happen with This Show!

ceosmom

[1]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 20

You know, I was all gung-ho when this show began, beleiving AMC's hype that it was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Every week for 11 weeks I've tuned in faithfully, waiting for something, anything (a half-interestingstory would be nice, for example) to happen, but NO.It looks like"Mad Men" sucks. Even Don Draper and his so-called life are boring. 90% of the characters are about as interesting as dirt. At the end of every show, I feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy has pulled the football away once again. I can't be the only one out there who is waiting for something interesting to happen here!!! Thoughts, please.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pipistrelle

[2]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 1

I see lots of things happening in this show. It's not an action/adventure show, and the things that happen are thought-provoking rather than murder, rape and pillage. I think this is very refreshing in an era in which the show has to catch someone's eye within thirty seconds or be a goner.

Things I see going on are: Peggy turning out not to be an air-head, Don being quite a complex character, exploration of anti-Semitic attitudes and Jewish culture, Don struggling with his past, and that's only a partial listing. I could go on and on.

ceosmom

[3]Oct 9, 2007
    I didn't say I was looking for action/adventure, raping or pillaging. I'm looking for something interesting as far as the plot goes. The show is moving at an absolutely glacial pace and what happens in each ep doesn't vary enough from week to week (Don cheats on his wife in almost every show, Betty chain smokes and looks bored, Peggy seems to be up to something, etc.). Ho-hum. I'm giving it until the end of the original 13 episodes, then I think I'm done. The fact that this forum is practically dead should tell you a lot.

neptune0909

[4]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 9
    ceosmom wrote:
    I didn't say I was looking for action/adventure, raping or pillaging. I'm looking for something interesting as far as the plot goes. The show is moving at an absolutely glacial pace and what happens in each ep doesn't vary enough from week to week (Don cheats on his wife in almost every show, Betty chain smokes and looks bored, Peggy seems to be up to something, etc.). Ho-hum. I'm giving it until the end of the original 13 episodes, then I think I'm done. The fact that this forum is practically dead should tell you a lot.

Your 100% right. I keep wondering why I bother watching. I like the concept and the style. I've been wondering when they will progress the story but it I'm starting to think there isn't any story to progress. They hint at things and dance around in circles but never get to a point. I think "glacial" is right on the mark when summarizing this show. Thanks for saying what I have been thinking - kudos.

MrShotShot

[5]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 15

Personally, I find the fact that the writers aren't painting every plot and sub plot on the wall in big white letters somewhat refreshing and a significant change of pace from the rest of television.

To each his own I guess.

cgmaetc

[6]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 2
    MrShotShot wrote:

Personally, I find the fact that the writers aren't painting every plot and sub plot on the wall in big white letters somewhat refreshing and a significant change of pace from the rest of television.

To each his own I guess.

Word. Remember the early reviews for "The Sopranos"? People complained that the characters talked in "code" and scenes appeared out of nowhere.

ceosmom

[7]Oct 13, 2007
    I will concede that this last ep (12) was the best so far, and--gasp!--some interesting things took place!

atnhec

[8]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 3
    I Think you are confusing something happening by only concentrating on plot, and not lookin at the something happening with character. TV is a heavly plot driven medium, but if you look at theatre, and IBsen and Chechov and Mamet and Pinter, I would say that MAdMen is more like a theatre work, in it's construciton. Much has happened with the characters, as they have evolved and responded to the situation around them. Much of the dialogue is opuaqe and subtextual.. Mad Men doesn't lay it all out for you, but wants you to think about it, like a novel. Think about how Draper has evolved, how we have learnt more about him, but also it's illusional, trying to comment on and fit in with the time it is portraying,w ith refrences to works such as Atlas Shrugged. There is allot here if you just look and maybe overlook the need for plot. It isn;t always story, sometimes it is character.

ceosmom

[9]Oct 14, 2007
    Sorry, but I'm not seeing a lot of story OR character here. I could never get through an Ayn Rand book. Maybe that's got something to do with my not being able to get through MAD MEN. And as far as stage plays, they only have about two hours to unfold; this show has already had twelve. To each his own opinion.

tjaman

[10]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 32
    There is an off button and a zillion other channels if it's bothering you that much.

MrShotShot

[11]Oct 18, 2007

ceosmom wrote:
    Sorry, but I'm not seeing a lot of story OR character here. I could never get through an Ayn Rand book. Maybe that's got something to do with my not being able to get through MAD MEN. And as far as stage plays, they only have about two hours to unfold; this show has already had twelve. To each his own opinion.

Well there's always Cavemen

jmandes

[12]Oct 20, 2007

I have only seen one episode but I think for the most part that the writing, story development and character definition is pretty much on-target. Having worked in professional advertising in the early 1980s, I can say that the environment is much different than the time period in which  Mad Men is set. However, I find the situations developed in MM very interesting perhaps because of my experience in advertising. I worked as a copywriter and account exec and things worked much differently than during the time of MM. Non-smoking offices pops to mind right away. Sexual harassment still exists but I was much more subtle and generally out of the immediate area of the office. Folks are much more litigiously minded than they were in the 60s. One thing, though, that didn't change over 20 plus years was that much of what I had to write skirted the truth and sometimes was unquestionably dishonest, which is the reason I left advertising and went into journalism. I know, I know. I can hear the groans all around me. I then went from journalism to becoming a college professor, a much more honorable career. I taught mass communication, public relations, advertising copywriting and public speaking. I tried to bring as much integrity into advertising and PR as i could. So when I watch MM, I see much of the past in advertising as I think it actually existed. I like the show. It's not nearly as strong as either Studio 60 or West Wing were, but I truly believe it has potential and I want it to have a chance. But then again, you are reading the ramblings of a former mad man. Caveat emptor!

StephenRxR

[13]Sep 6, 2010

Mad Men is poorly written, it spews continually lackluster dialogue, and it struggles with one boring plot line after another. The show boasts quite the cast, but this only underscores how poorly the writers have done in utilizing the talent at their disposal. When it first came out I was intrigued, and subsequently watched several episodes, but it didn't take long to come to the realization that there is simply no "there" there. Short of the somewhat unique premise of the series, there is absolutely nothing about this show that warrants the attention it is getting. Are people really so shallow that they fall for this sophomoric, gimmicky drivel? When I heard that it was actually winning awards I couldn't even believe by ears. Mad Men is every bit as trite and pathetic as our modern movies and music. Style over substance, nothing more.

ExodusPenguin

[14]Sep 6, 2010

If you've watched more than one episode of this show and still think the writing is poor, that there's no character development, or that nothing happens, go watch Cougar Town or one of a thousand reality shows, because you just don't get it.

FionntanShana

[15]Sep 10, 2010
    YEAH YOU GO GIRL!

IvanRizki1

[16]Sep 13, 2010

this is a 100% drama TV, so don't expect gun or blood.. lol...

try to look from different point of view, ex: look don's life, how his relation with his family, how he do the business, etc...

once again, this is pure drama, and not the kind of romantic drama only, it covers all of kind we do in this life, IMHO people whose like dramas movie or tv, would like this serial...

IMHO, as a fans of mad men, i think this is the best drama serial ever!

Edited on 09/13/2010 8:42am

IvanRizki1

[17]Sep 13, 2010

ceosmom wrote:

don't you see how peggy been promoted from zero to hero?

don't you see how don promoted to be the partner, trying to make his family happy, makes pete from disrespect to respect him, etc?

hey man! wake up! this is hows life work... not that kind serial whose make people fly, or shoot a man on the street...

actually, if you see this serial from the right point of view, you'll even get a lesson about this "jungle life" works..

nellyg619

[18]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 17

its incredible this show, say whatever you want but there are also so many subtle moments that make the story and the show great which you must be missing out on

Orbster251

[19]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 5

I think this show is a masterpiece, because it doesn't give what I want and still tell good story. It is just downright real.