Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Peggy's baby *possible spoliers*

welwynrose

[1]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    after watching this weeks episode does anyone else think the baby that peggy's sister is raising and that was sitting on her lap in the church is actually peggys baby?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ceosmom

[2]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 20

Yes. Fourteen months are supposed to have passed between the end of season one and the season two opener; that "baby" looked like a 14-month-old toddler to me.

Remember when Peggy stuck her head in the children's room at her mother's house? Whose to say two or even all three of the children weren't hers? We don't know what's going on here. Clearly, there are some issues with Peggy here that we don't know about yet. On the other hand, this could all be designed to throw the viewer off.

MegPierce

[3]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    I'd like to know what happened in those 14 months. Peggy's sister said that the state of New York didn't feel that Peggy was capable of making her own decisions. I wonder if Peggy never wanted the baby or if she did but she's not mentally capable. She seems to be a very smart woman at work but sometimes in her life outside of the office she seems a little...off. Anyone agree?

I'm seriously hoping that Pete finds out about the baby soon and that Peggy owns up to the responsibility and becomes a mother in the complete sense of the word.

Lazlow63

[4]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 4
    welwynrose wrote:
    after watching this weeks episode does anyone else think the baby that peggy's sister is raising and that was sitting on her lap in the church is actually peggys baby?
    That's exactly how I took it.

ceosmom

[5]Aug 5, 2008

When Peggy's sister made the remark about the "state of New York" not feeling that Peggy was competent, capable of making decisions, whatever the exact phraseology was..did anyone else think that maybe at one point Peggy had been in a mental institution? The comment was made before the viewer knew there was a baby (Peggy's or anyone else's) in the next room. I have a feeling Peggy may have been hospitalized against her will at some point. This could all have happened before the very first ep, sometime "in her past". Thoughts?

Also, there's every possibility this baby isn't Pete's. We saw her sleep with the guy once, but who knows if there have been others? To early to know for sure.

Edited on 08/05/2008 8:28pm

MegPierce

[6]Aug 6, 2008
    ceosmom wrote:

When Peggy's sister made the remark about the "state of New York" not feeling that Peggy was competent, capable of making decisions, whatever the exact phraseology was..did anyone else think that maybe at one point Peggy had been in a mental institution? The comment was made before the viewer knew there was a baby (Peggy's or anyone else's) in the next room. I have a feeling Peggy may have been hospitalized against her will at some point. This could all have happened before the very first ep, sometime "in her past". Thoughts?

Also, there's every possibility this baby isn't Pete's. We saw her sleep with the guy once, but who knows if there have been others? To early to know for sure.

I posted right before you about how I thought she might not be playing with a full deck. I totally agree with you. I think she may have been hospitalized but I do believe this is Pete's baby. This whole baby storyline wouldn't be as interesting to me if it wasn't Pete's. I want it to be Pete's and I want him to find out soon.

BellaBoo

[7]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 6
    Until now, I had felt sorry for Peggy. Now I'm REALLY put off by her attitude toward this baby.

gcswift2

[8]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 9

I'm gonna defend Peggy...

1. Post pardum depression.
    2. You have to remember that Peggy didn't know she was pregnant until hours before she gave birth.
    3. After she gave birth she "rejected" the baby

All these things would have lead the state (in 1963) to have her commited.

Moreover...

While I think those measures are punative draconian. That doesn't mean I disagree with the ends. I think overall it is better that her child have access to its family. Whether or not Peggy comes around to being a "Mommy" type of mother is really besides the point. Her child has a stable family support system in which to grow.

also...

Of the children in the room I think it was just the child sleeping in the crib that was her child. and Yes, the child on her lap during communion was most likely her own.

BTW, we see her and Pete together atleast 2 times. I remember their first time at her apartment, and the time in his office when the janitor walked by.

JJFO

[9]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 1
    ceosmom wrote:

When Peggy's sister made the remark about the "state of New York" not feeling that Peggy was competent, capable of making decisions, whatever the exact phraseology was..did anyone else think that maybe at one point Peggy had been in a mental institution?

I'm pretty sure she was talking about abortion, the State found that women weren't competent of choosing to have an abortion. Why and Irish Catholic mother from Bay Ridge would suggest that or even think about it that way is beyond me though

chaosrainz

[10]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 17
    gcswift2 wrote:

I'm gonna defend Peggy...

1. Post pardum depression.
    2. You have to remember that Peggy didn't know she was pregnant until hours before she gave birth.
    3. After she gave birth she "rejected" the baby

All these things would have lead the state (in 1963) to have her commited.

And because she didn't know she was pregnant, or perhaps in denial about it, that's what caused the doctor to call for psychiatric when she went into labor.

There's no telling what happened after that.
    I can't wait to find out though!

therockstop

[11]Aug 11, 2008
    welwynrose wrote:

I would be surprised if it wasn't Peggy's child. I do not think the other 2 in the bedroom was hers. One of them called her Aunt Peggy so I would think those are her sisters kids.

tvcomman

[12]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 4

The baby she held was her own son. It was the same boy in the bedroom when the kids said "Hi, Aunt Peggy". Peggy is only 22. Those other 2 boys are at least 4 and 6, so those wouldn't be hers. Plus, you'd think by child #3 she'd know what pregnancy is. And her Mom and Sis wouldn't put up with raising a third child.

That's pretty cheesy that Peggy is so ambitious at work and did not have a clue she was pregnant. The baby kicks around inside before it's born. What did she think, she had a bad burrito? Come on.

The State of New York and the doctor would not have allowed aborton in November 1960, since it was illegal. It was a matter of adoption vs. Mom & Sis taking care of him.

ceosmom

[13]Aug 11, 2008

...but Peggy could easily given the baby up for adoption without her Mom or sister knowing about it. After all, she didn't even know she was pregnant; she could have signed the papers and walked away from the hospital, and no one in her family would have been any the wiser.

As far as the other kids calling her "Aunt Peggy": I have a friend who didn't find out until she was 14 that the woman she thought was her mother was really her grandmother, and the girl she knew as her sister was really her birth mother (who had given birth to her at fifteen). To the poster above who doesn't think that Peggy could have given birth to one or both of the other children in the bedroom because she would have been a teen at the time, that's just naive. Do I think they're Peggy's kids? No. But it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

MegPierce

[14]Aug 12, 2008
    I don't think adoption was a possibility solely based on the statement that Peggy's sister made about the state of New York not thinking she was capable of making her own decisions. So the way I see it is the state of New York stepped in and decided that what was best for the kid was for the aunt and grandmother to raise it until Peggy "accepts" this child into her life.

therockstop

[15]Aug 12, 2008
    I think she wanted to put it up for adoption and her mother and sister found out about it and took action to either adopt the baby or get legal custody of him. We shall see.

Otempora541

[16]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 3

For everyone commenting on Peggy's parenting or lack of mothering: Not every woman can or wants to be a mother. Maybe Peggy doesn't want to be a mother because she knew what it meant to be a mother in 1961 New York?

At least Peggy understands that and gave the baby up for someone who can be a better mother then her.

Edited on 08/18/2008 9:52am

MegPierce

[17]Aug 18, 2008
    I think it's kinda sad if Peggy wanted to put the baby up for adoption and the state or her family wouldn't let her because basically what has happened now is that she's going on with her life and career and her sister is making her feel guilty for not taking care of her child which she obviously didn't want in the first place. Whereas if she had put the baby up for adoption some family could have been blessed with the baby instead of Peggy being condemed by her sister/family for not wanting to be a mother.

ceosmom

[18]Aug 18, 2008

At least the question of whether or not that's Peggy's baby has been answered.

Anyone have any comments on Peggy's sister? She sure was in a hurry to sabatoge Peggy's friendship with the associate priest by spilling Peggy's beans in the confessional. Her actions had the desired effect, too; the priests' "...for the little one" as he placed the blue easter egg in Peggy's hand, then simply walked away, spoke volumes.

I believe Peggy's sister is not only completely jealous of her, but is reacting to a family situation common even today, that is, a parent's total defense/support of the "weak" child in the family. Anger and resentment build as the "good" child or children are forced to watch the weakest/one who screws up their life the most get codddled and stroked. I've seen it happen on both sides of my family, and it's interesting to watch this scenario unfold here. Time doesn't change everything. And finally, something deep is going on in this show.

Otempora541

[19]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 3
    ceosmom wrote:

I believe Peggy's sister is not only completely jealous of her, but is reacting to a family situation common even today, that is, a parent's total defense/support of the "weak" child in the family. Anger and resentment build as the "good" child or children are forced to watch the weakest/one who screws up their life the most get codddled and stroked. I've seen it happen on both sides of my family, and it's interesting to watch this scenario unfold here. Time doesn't change everything. And finally, something deep is going on in this show.

I am an only child, but I think the sister doesn't understand Peggy at all, and tries to behave like Peggy- i.e. going to confession and essentially confessing like Peggy.

welwynrose

[20]Aug 21, 2008
    I thought the sister was being very vindictive & nasty going to confession & spilling the beans like that - I felt sorry for Peggy but why the sister thought Peggy & the Priest could be anything more than friends I do not know