Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Peggy's baby *possible spoliers*

MegPierce

[21]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 7
    She just doesn't want Peggy to be happy in any capacity. I don't think that the sister thought that Peggy and the Priest could be more than friends but I think the sister was jealous of the fact that the priest liked Peggy and went to her for advice.
    Edited on 08/21/2008 9:46am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

efeatherston

[22]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    welwynrose wrote:
    I thought the sister was being very vindictive & nasty going to confession & spilling the beans like that - I felt sorry for Peggy but why the sister thought Peggy & the Priest could be anything more than friends I do not know

Remember, the sister said Peggy 'seduced a married man', so if she truly thought that, watching her sister with the priest, she could easily believe her sister was going to seduce the priest. Plus, she probably wanted to seduce the priest, so assumed her sister would.

garoovy

[23]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 2
    The notion of Peggy becoming a responsible mother to her baby is what I would hope too. It's a more modern notion, though.

Remember, the show is set in the early 60's. I wonder if people (and especially women) born any time after 1980 can really appreciate the ostracism women who bore out-of-wedlock children during the 60s-70s (and of course, before) suffered. They literally had to go into hiding (or felt they had to, anyway), would leave town until they gave birth, make up stories about "illness", etc. I'm tellin' yah, they were totally anathema to "society". I think Peggy sees her "way out" of her current situation through her promotion rather than marriage/motherhood, which really sets her apart from most of the other female characters.

Otempora541

[24]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 3
    garoovy wrote:
    The notion of Peggy becoming a responsible mother to her baby is what I would hope too. It's a more modern notion, though.

Remember, the show is set in the early 60's. I wonder if people (and especially women) born any time after 1980 can really appreciate the ostracism women who bore out-of-wedlock children during the 60s-70s (and of course, before) suffered. They literally had to go into hiding (or felt they had to, anyway), would leave town until they gave birth, make up stories about "illness", etc. I'm tellin' yah, they were totally anathema to "society". I think Peggy sees her "way out" of her current situation through her promotion rather than marriage/motherhood, which really sets her apart from most of the other female characters.

Well said. Although the more and more the show goes on the more and more I think that it's not Peggy's baby. If she did have a... Mental breakdown (what Mad Men is suggesting) wouldn't New York just take the baby away period?

Nimby15

[25]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 1

I don't think the question of whether the toddler is Peggy's has been answered yet at all! Didn't anyone notice that Peggy's sister was very obviously pregnant when she and their mother visited Peggy in the mental hospital (flashback scene in Ep 18 "the New Girl")??? What happened to that baby? Hmmm? I think the toddler is Anita's, which may also explain her vindictive attitude toward her sister, who "gets away with anything."

From IMBD: "We flashback to Peggy in the hospital and the doctor saying to a pregnant Anita and Mrs. Olson that Peggy has a "psycho-neurotic" disorder and will be kept for another few weeks since she isn't able to make her own decisions yet. Peggy wakes up and her mother and sister leave so she can be asked some questions by the doctor: year, president, where she is. He wonders if she knows why she's in the hospital. She says she doesn't know, that she doesn't feel like herself. He tells her she's on medication to relax her and help her talk. He reminds her that he told her that she had a baby. She swallows and looks away. The doctor leaves."

Then, later in the same Ep, Don (who has many secrets of his own) shows up at Peggy's bedside:

"We flash back to the hospital again. She awakes to see Don at her bedside, she wonders if it's really him. It is. She wonders why he's there. He says because she got a promotion and disappeared. Her mother told him it was TB. She apologizes. He asks what's really wrong with her. She says she doesn't know. He asks what "they" want her to do. She says she doesn't know. He says she does and tells her to do whatever they say. To get out of there and move forward. "This never happened. It will shock you how much it never happened," he says. She nods weakly."

I love that line: "It will shock you how much it never happened." The power of denial and moving on! But if Peggy's (and Pete's) baby was still right there in her mother's/sister's house, it would be pretty hard for Peggy to remain in denial. I'm beginning to think that Peggy's baby was either stillborn or taken away for adoption by someone else (the State of NY made the decision). Of course, it will be very interesting if the baby pops back into the picture to haunt Pete (who is an unredeemable jerk, IMO)!

rubadon

[27]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 2

After Peggy had the baby, a nurse brought the baby to her and asked her if she wanted to hold it.

She turned away. ERGO, the Baby is hers.

The tension is mounting for Pete to have a baby of his own.

After last night's episode (" the jet set") it is apparent that the existence of Peggy's child will be made known.

However, there is no evidence that this is Pete's baby.

MegPierce

[28]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 7
    Know what I'm thinkin'? I'm thinkin' that Peggy and Pete's baby did get put up for adoption and that very soon Pete and Trudy are going to end up adopting that very same baby. Then some where down the line Pete, Peggy and Trudy are all going to figure things out.