Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Season Five News

HelloStuart

[1]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 63

Hey guys,

With the new season entering pre-production later this month, any speculation and spoilers about the next 13 episodes can be grouped in this thread. My big question is what year the new season will take place in, 1966 or 1967? Will anyone get into the drug culture (I mean, besides Peggy)? Will everyone's wardrobe be incredibly garish?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MrBovineOrdure

[2]Mar 30, 2011
    • level: 6

Well, there may be some bad news concerning season 5. Looks like it'll get pushed back to March of 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12905058

From the article there are 3 points of contension. AMC is pressing for the following...

1) They want to shave off 2 minutes from the show to include more commercials

2) They want to dump a couple of actors to save money.

3) They want product placement.

My hope is that they don't get the first two. I've thought over the 3rd point though. Essentially, this whole show features product placement very prominently. I really don't object to it so long as the product existed in this era, that they provide the packaging as it existed and it makes sense in the story. My only issue would be that I hope it doesn't crowd out some of the things that no longer exist; Mohawk Airlines being an example.

Of course if they're talking about product placement ala Chuck/Subway, I'd have big objections! Those placements are garish and get in the way of the story. Plus Subway didn't exist until 1965 and then it was called "Pete's Subs". They weren't named "Subway" until 1974.

So far as the garish dress, drug use, etc they've dealt with some of that. Marijuana has been used by Don, was present at Paul Kinsey's party, and Peggy and Paul imbibed in the office. (Bear in mind I haven't seen season 4 yet.)

I thought season 5 would be 1965/1966. Each season spans one year, the first one being 1959/1960 so that would track.

[*ADDENDUM* - Just saw episode 7 of season 3. Don draper signed his contract in that episode and dated it 7-23-1963 so I've lost a year somewhere and I miscalculated. I thought season 1 was 1959/1960, season 2 1960/1961, season 3 1961/1962, Kennedy was assassinated in November 1963 which takes place near the end of the third season so I suppose season 4 is 1964 and season 5 would be 1965/1966]

I don't think you'll see a lot of these kinds of things in the professional environment. Certainly not from Peter, Ken, Roger, or Bertram. I doubt we'll see colorful 60s garb on Peggy or Joan either.

Mr BO

Edited on 03/31/2011 3:52pm
    Edited 4 total times.

kickdoor

[3]Mar 30, 2011
    • level: 14

The second one scares me the most. I keep trying to think of someone they could cut that wouldn't have a big impact on the story and Cosgrove is really the only one, but I always felt that there was something building with his character, or at least something still to be revealed, so I wouldn't want to lose him either.

Losing two minutes may not seem like much but with a show like MM it can make a significant difference. And asking Weiner to cut time for more commercials while at the same time telling him to add more product placement is kind of a ****y thing to do, imo.

Though I think it should be mentioned that not all the blame lies with AMC, Weiner is notorious for being stubborn and difficult when it comes time to negotiate for the next season(I know for a fact he did it last year and there was talk about him the year before that). Not that he shouldn't do all he can to maintain his artistic vision, but the way people talk about him says he goes over the line and doesn't seem to care that much if his actors/crew get back to work when they need to. So I think it's safe to say a lot of this waiting for the fifth season is because of him and it's possible he even brought these harsh demands down on himself by not being more open to negotiations before.

Of course we're the one's that end up suffering, as no matter what the reasons behind it, I don't want to wait another year for new episodes.

MrBovineOrdure

[4]Mar 30, 2011

For me even longer as I don't subscribe to cable or satellite. I wait on the DVDs. (which season 4 should be hitting my doorstep any day now.)

Mr BO

MrBovineOrdure

[5]Apr 1, 2011

Good News!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49100

Matt agreed to the 2 minute cut of programming except on the DVD (which is fine by me as that's when I see the show.) Product placement will be no more intrusive than it was in season 1. No word of actors cuts.

Also looks like we won't see any new episodes till early next year. Another piece of good news is there is talks about a season 7.

Edited on 04/02/2011 5:45am

goldtop2007

[6]Jun 12, 2011
    Great news!

goldtop2007

[7]Jun 13, 2011
    It's gonna be a long wait, but so worth it. Quality series written for adults like Mad Men are very rare indeed.

jaynebosco

[8]Jun 29, 2011
    • level: 11
    So if I get this right, there will be no season this coming summer and we'll have to wait until about March?

kickdoor

[9]Jul 2, 2011

Yes, unfortunately there will be no new episodes 'til March.

andy_d_75

[10]Jul 22, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that one of the seasons, possibly 2 had at least a 6 month gap between 2 of the episodes, it's been quite a while since i saw them but I may have to rewatch the lot just in time for season 5 next year

seasonsondvd

[11]Aug 24, 2011
    • level: 1

Mr. Bo.

Regarding your musings on the time setting of the seasons...

I don't think any part of season one was in 1959. The pilot is set in 1960. As the series progresses there are some historical or calendar events that let us place the others on context.

Season 1:

Episode 6 'Babylon" is set around Mother's Day. Therefore this places it on May, 1960.

Episode 10 (Long Weekend) takes place over Labor Day weekend, 1960.

Episode 11 Indian Summer'. Set in October, 1960. Don asks for a drink and complains about the heat, "someone hasn't told the sun it's October".

Episode 12 "Nixon vs. Kennedy" is set around the Nixon-Kennedy election, to that names it November, 1960.

Episode 13 "The Wheel" is set around Thanksgiving, again making it late November.

Season 2:

Episode 1 "For Those Who Think Young". Set at Valentines Day, No year is specified but we can assume it was 1962 because Episode 2 "Flight 1" has the crash of American Airlines Flight 1, which occurred in March, 1962.

Episode 9 "Six Month Leave" has a plot line involving the death of Marilyn Monroe, which puts it on August 5, 1962. The season finale episode 13, "Meditations in an Emergency", takes place during the Cuban Missile Crisis in October, 1962.

Season 3

We can assume 1963. Episode 2 "Love Among the Ruins", involves the introduction of Patio cola, the forerunner of Diet Pepsi. This product appeared in 1963.

Episode 3 "My Old Kentucky Home" has a plot line involving the Kentucky Derby, which runs in May.

Episode 5 "The Fog" references the death of Medgar Evans which occurred in June, 1963.

Episode 6 "Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency" takes place over the Independence Day weekend, making it July, 2963.

Episode 7 "Seven Twenty Three" features a solar eclipse which occurred on July 20, 1963. Plus the episode title seems to refer to July 23rd.

Episode 12 "The Grown-Ups" occurs during the Kennedy assassination and Oswald shooting, therefore November, 1963.

Season 4:

Episode 1 "Public Relations" has Betty and the kids spending Thanksgiving with her new husband. Since the final episode of season 3 has her going to Reno for a divorce and this occurs AFTER the November 22, 1963 Kennedy assassination, it seems unlikely that this could be Thanksgiving, 1963! Therefore it must be 1964.

Episode 2 "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" takes place during Christmas, again assuming it's 1964. Incidentally..though it's not reference in the series, I was born at this time.

Episode 7 "The Suitcase" has a plot line involving the Ali-Liston rematch which took place on May 25, 1965.

The remainder of season 4 would logically take place throughout the remainder of 1965.

becksdakex

[14]Sep 7, 2011
    • level: 7
    Oh dear! You really did some research Seasonsondvd. I actually thought that the show would end after the season 3 finale. Glad it didn't.
    I'm also really excited to see season 5. How long do you think that Don's new relationship will last? I say it's over mid season 5 if not sooner.

HelloStuart

[15]Sep 16, 2011
    Jon Hamm will direct the season premiere, which is tentatively set for March 4th, 2012. Apparently, the first episode will take place in the late summer of '66, roughly nine months after "Tomorrowland."

1001consejos

[16]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 3

Ohhh nouuuuuuu!!!!!! I cant believethatwe will have to wait until March next year. But I thinkthatif they are makings wait a bit longer isbecausethis season is gonna bephenomenal. I will waitpatiently for the 5th season, because series like Mad Men are very hard to find onTVnow and also I am already involved in the plot of the series.To meis worth it.

HelloStuart

[17]Nov 21, 2011

March? I thought it was January...

Either way, Chrissie Hendricks teased some details: http://news.yahoo.com/christina-hendricks-talks-mad-men-season-5-her-221613872.html

sflewie

[18]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 8

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but it seems the next season premiere won' t be until Sunday, July 25' 2012! Here's the reference article:

http://www.aoltv.com/2010/04/20/amc-denies-season-6-end-for-mad-men/ .

kickdoor

[19]Jan 25, 2012

ugh, you might want to reread that article, namely the date, or the bit about season 4(not 5).

Mad Men is coming back March 25th. And if you don't wanna take my word for it...

sflewie

[20]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 8
    I've never been so happy to be so wrong before, Kickdoor! Thanks.

HelloStuart

[21]Mar 24, 2012
    I don't know what happened between posts #15 and #17, but I profusely apologize.

Either way, the action jumps to 1966 for tomorrow's premiere... even though everyone (including Newsweek) seems to think we're still in '65.