Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

When sh!t happens to Betty

djboy77

[1]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 7

Am I the only one who finds it rather amusing whenever sh!t happens to Betty? I know that it was presented as being dismissive, but I agree with the psych that she saw: she's just a petulant little girl. I also realize it's all set in the 60s and things were different, but she has no responsibilities whatsoever. She's got a housekeeper who also looks after the kids, so she's filling her day with nothing and then whines about everything, acts like a b!tch to her own kids, and blames everyone else. On top of that, she throws away Don (not without reason) then get all huffy when she sees him on a date. It seems rather telling when they can more-or-less write her out of the first half of the season. Once she and Don split up, it seems like there's very little reason remaining for her to stay in the series. She and Henry (so sick of hearing him called by his full name, as if it was a hyphenated first name, like Billy-Bob or Lou-Ann) barely have any connection remaining to the rest of the characters. There's very little compelling or interesting about her. So, the fact that she's p!ssing all over another marriage, frankly, I enjoy watching. P!ss away, you whiny little brat.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nellyg619

[2]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 17

yeh i used to feel harsh for Betty wen Don was cheating on her but now i couldnt care less, she got what she wanted (henry) and yet still whines and complains and really does act like a child

HelloStuart

[3]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 63
    I will admit that there are times when the Betty scenes feel like they take place on another TV show, but she serves a purpose of sorts. Don was her first love, but also her most complex nemesis.

danlb

[4]May 21, 2012
    • level: 2

The trouble with Betty is January Jones. The actress has no chops. Her petulance is her anger at the 10 level. She should be doing auto shows, not tv shows.

drlowdon

[5]Jun 15, 2012
    • level: 8

She has become very irritating, I wouldn't be suprised if they unveiled that her character had some sort of personality disorder as she only seems happy when making others miserable.

Edited on 06/15/2012 4:07am