Mad Men Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Who thinks Don is kind of a lousy Ad man

abrozena

[1]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 5

I don't know, except for the carousel piece, I feel like his ideas in retrospect (from today) were pretty lousy while his underlings (Peggy, and strangely Pete, among others) often seem to have better ideas. There's this theme throughout the show that Don is not really a part of the young crowd/generation and entirely doesn't get them/dismisses them. He just assumes their ideas stink, mostly on principle of them being young. And yet there's a strong youth movement going on at the time. It's like his pride just won't accept the idea that he's not as cool or relevant as he'd like to be. Perhaps that explains a lot of his posturing and sleeping around. Maybe it makes him feel young, and in control as opposed to someone who though may technically have the power, is quickly losing his grip on American culture.

Just an idea. Obviously there are instances where this isn't true, but in general, I don't think he's as good at advertising as he likes to believe.

Edited on 09/24/2008 2:51pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 32
    Don kicks ass, and his kung fu is the best, and here's why. He hews obsessively to first principles: What is truth?

He has affairs with dozens of different kinds of women, seeking an endless variety of stimulation, mentally, physically and emotionally. It's taking its toll on his support structure at home, but it's pretty clear by now he takes less pleasure in it, and is now on an endless quest for novelty. That which nourishes me, destroys me.

He goes to movies no one else does, and he reads books no one else does, and listens to music no one else does, and talks to people no one else does, so as to stay out on the cutting edge, where no one else is.

He thinks deeply about the meaning of the products of the accounts he takes on, and ultimately comes up with the best possible approach. Those kids wouldn't have been in the meeting if Don didn't want them there. He puts people in contact with each other to get the reactions he wants and his junior creative staff are as good as they are because of his leadership.

Don is nothing short of amazing. Re-examine the situation with fresh eyes and you'll see that he, far from being the old man with no ideas who is less and less relevant with each passing episode, is in fact, a master manipulator, and a master advertiser.

imo.

MegPierce

[3]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    tjaman wrote:
    Don kicks ass, and his kung fu is the best, and here's why. He hews obsessively to first principles: What is truth?

He has affairs with dozens of different kinds of women, seeking an endless variety of stimulation, mentally, physically and emotionally. It's taking its toll on his support structure at home, but it's pretty clear by now he takes less pleasure in it, and is now on an endless quest for novelty. That which nourishes me, destroys me.

He goes to movies no one else does, and he reads books no one else does, and listens to music no one else does, and talks to people no one else does, so as to stay out on the cutting edge, where no one else is.

He thinks deeply about the meaning of the products of the accounts he takes on, and ultimately comes up with the best possible approach. Those kids wouldn't have been in the meeting if Don didn't want them there. He puts people in contact with each other to get the reactions he wants and his junior creative staff are as good as they are because of his leadership.

Don is nothing short of amazing. Re-examine the situation with fresh eyes and you'll see that he, far from being the old man with no ideas who is less and less relevant with each passing episode, is in fact, a master manipulator, and a master advertiser.

imo.
    I totally agree with you.

Shaneburn

[4]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 3
    TJ parked this one. Don is truly an advertising genius and Peggy is his apprentice. Don sees the layers no one else does. Paul comes up with witty puns and one-liners, Sal makes nice pictures but Don sees through the slogan and through the pictures and comes to the ultimate 'truth' in advertising. His philandering thrill-seeking nature make him a horrible husband and friend but a damn fine Mad Man.

Like he said, re-watch the show and notice how Don is always one layer deeper, one step further, one though ahead on every campaign and not only that, every situation. Like when gives those Beatniks whatfor.

signalfire_WI

[5]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 5

WWDD?

What Would Drapper Do?

That one has been going around my office since Season 1. One of the other posters nailed it. First principles. Envision the demographic, embrace what's important to them, envision how to make the product appeal or prove its worthiness for consuption. Their product = your passion. Don understands this, embraces it and has tried to show others it. Peggy is the only one who gets it.She loves him for it, too. Not romantically, but the way a student loves a mentor.

One of the best ones was with the American Airlines episode, walking out into the office in almost a stuper that us creative types recognize as a "creative singularity". Every element of their pitch was flowing into the concept and that single point ignited into a "big bang" idea. What he said, made a shiver go up my leg. I wish I could say it happened to more than the two or three times it has, but even when you're just in the room, youfeel the crackle!

And yes, I do own a small advertising agency...

rubadon

[7]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 2

Shaneburn wrote:
    TJ parked this one. Don is truly an advertising genius and Peggy is his apprentice. Don sees the layers no one else does. Paul comes up with witty puns and one-liners, Sal makes nice pictures but Don sees through the slogan and through the pictures and comes to the ultimate 'truth' in advertising. His philandering thrill-seeking nature make him a horrible husband and friend but a damn fine Mad Man. Like he said, re-watch the show and notice how Don is always one layer deeper, one step further, one though ahead on every campaign and not only that, every situation. Like when gives those Beatniks whatfor.

There is finally someone else who gets it!! Don doesn't have a script -
    he depends on his gut to come up with the most masterful ideas I have ever seen. Remember the first season "It's toasted."? The hardest thing for a genius to do is to explain how it's done.

rubadon

[8]Oct 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    Shaneburn wrote:
    TJ parked this one. Don is truly an advertising genius and Peggy is his apprentice. Don sees the layers no one else does. Paul comes up with witty puns and one-liners, Sal makes nice pictures but Don sees through the slogan and through the pictures and comes to the ultimate 'truth' in advertising. His philandering thrill-seeking nature make him a horrible husband and friend but a damn fine Mad Man.

Like he said, re-watch the show and notice how Don is always one layer deeper, one step further, one though ahead on every campaign and not only that, every situation. Like when gives those Beatniks whatfor.

Also notice that Don assesses the situation first, while listening and speaking only when he has something to say. He is a hard act to follow.

rubadon