Mad Men

Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 20, 2009 on AMC

• This is the rebound point...Btw, congrats on the Emmy..

Now that the season is at the half way mark, it is typical if the show to switch gears. We've seen this trend in previous two seasons, and it should most probably be case this time as well.

Well, Matthew Weiner would be doomed if he had given us a slow moving artistically inclined episode, minutes after winning the Emmy for best drama and best writing. Thankfully, episode 6 did in a way blow our minds off with some insane storylines. At the same time, the writing was still of good artistic value with a number of symbolic references. The story was truly a tribute to Joan Holloway's character. I mean, I am not complementing the actor Cristina Hendricks. She's good, nevertheless, but definitely not outstanding. The character in essence reflects the inner pain of someone, whose hopes have been shattered in every way possible. She did train Peggy Olson, who went far up the corporate ladder. She helped Harry Crane with his TV job in the hopes of getting a creative position, only to find that job given to someone useless. She married a promising surgeon in the hopes of fame and money, only to realize he was incompetent. And for all her efforts at Sterling Cooper, she doesn't even get a farewell party.

The pain was expressed in a subtle way, when Guy the new boss from England acknowledges her services and throws a liquor rave at the office. And what we see after that will easily go into history as the most shocking moment ever. The gory scene of Guy's foot getting ripped of with a splatter of blood that showers everyone around, was just the adrenaline rush needed to switch gears. So following the blood bath, we see the new corporate structure which shattered the hopes of everyone at Sterling Cooper, come down like a pack of cards.

Don has problems at home, with Sally thinking baby Gene is grandpa Gene who has come back again. Betty behaves hard with her kids, now clearly obsessed with the new baby. This necessitates Don to step in and do damage control.

There were like a million lines, which I can interpret in various ways. Overall, this was an immensely satisfying episode.