Mad Men

Ladies Room

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 26, 2007 on AMC

• Don is forced to write an ad for spray deodorants and Peggy deals with the men of the office

The second episode of Mad Men moves just as slow as the premiere episode, and it's a good thing I have an incredible amount of patience because this show seems to be all about building up the suspense, even if it takes up to ten episodes or so. The events in the episode can be split into three different sections: Don Draper and his creative team have to come up with an advertisement for a new spray deodorant. Meanwhile, Betty Draper, his wife who actually gets more than one scene here, begins seeing a psychiatrist. There's also Peggy Olsen, the new security, who has to deal with the men of the office who want to sleep with her.

The episode is extremely methodical and slow, yet it helps us understand the characters even more. In just two episodes, we can begin understanding the characters as if we have known them for a long time. Even minor characters such as Paul Kinsey, the guy giving Peggy a tour, has a sort of personality that lacks in most other TV dramas.

I'm particularly interested in Betty Draper's psychiatrist visit and how it connects to her life. It's pretty slimy of Don to be spying on her visits to the doctor, but I think it speaks to the role of men in the society as a whole. The show captures this period of time remarkably well, much better than I originally thought. Perhaps that's why it seems so boring to some people.. the 60's advertising agency wasn't the most exciting thing going on during the decade, but with a little bit of slow moving story comes a blooming of character and complications.

I have high hopes that the season will continue to get better as time goes on.