Mad Men

Love Among the Ruins

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 23, 2009 on AMC

• Betty's dad moves in...

Maybe it's because I watched this episode at 1 in the morning when I was exhausted, but this episode felt less like a fully fleshed out 47 minutes and more of a place setting episode. I'm not saying it moved slow, but it was definitely a step down from the events of the premiere.

That being said, there were still some good moments throughout. Betty's father, who we met last year, moves into the Draper residence. I wasn't immediately drawn into this story arc, but thinking about the tension that Betty's father will add to the Draper residence makes me excited for what Weiner and crew have in store. There were also some great Draper moments, such as the scene where Roger and him sit down with the Madison Square Garden people and convince them to join Sterling Cooper, or at least stay.

Peggy also gets a great handful of scenes after her and the rest of Creative attempt to figure out an advertisement for Patio (soon to be Diet Pepsi). Peggy ends up hooking up with a random guy at the bar, and instead of seeming like an assertion of her power as a woman (which is what I somewhat assume the show was going for), it all seemed a bit sad. I don't know, maybe I'm just combining that scene with the one where she stands in front of her mirror and sings "Bye Bye Birdie." It was a great moment for Moss as an actress, but for Peggy Olsen, it felt tragic in the smallest sense of the word.

There were some odd scenes here too, such as the one where Draper brushes his fingers in the grass while watching a woman dance in the park, and the final scene where Draper and Peggy sit down to discuss the account and the scene remains silent felt strange to me. I'm sure there's a deeper meaning to it, and I've read reviews where people have attributed some meaning to it, but for me, I'm not 100% sure.

The episode is good, just not as great as the premiere.