Mad Men

Meditations in an Emergency

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 26, 2008 on AMC

• The end of Mad Men's second season.

In case you didn't pick up on it the whole Cuban Missile Crisis was used as a metaphor here. The idea that the "end of the world" was coming symbolized the impending doom for several Sterling Cooper employees, but more importantly the marriage between Don and Betty Draper. Fortunately the world did survive the 1960's and Don and Betty are back together.

This episode did a good job putting over the importance of the events going on. Everything felt real and felt like a huge deal. The business meaning regarding the merger and the announcement of ultimate megalomaniac Duck being named President only for Don to oppose and walk was the kind of intensity this show has been lacking.

I have been quick to point out the suddenness of the conclusions of previous installments, but here things ended at a climatic point with the revealing of the pregnancy. I realize some tv.com fans are excited about the prospect of this and what it will mean to the world of Don Draper if he can continue cheating on a pregnant wife, but I just cannot seem to get into it. This is something better suited for The CW Network not the Emmy winner for Outstanding Drama Series.

A good way to finish off a mixed bag of a season for Mad Men. I do not see a repeat at the Emmys for the AMC drama but I will say that I was entertained by this episode. I look forward to seeing the progression of Pete and Peggy's unique relationship and Round 2 of the fight between Duck and Don.