Mad Men

My Old Kentucky Home

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 30, 2009 on AMC

• Firstly, to the reviewer above who spoke of the drug culture of the 1970's--you must review your history, my dear. Kerouac and his lot were doing drugs and writing about it in the 40's, and I'm sure there were people doing it before Kerouac.

Firstly, to the reviewer above who spoke of the drug culture of the 1970's--you must review your history, my dear. Kerouac and his lot were doing drugs and writing about it in the 40's, and I'm sure there were people doing it before Kerouac. On the Road, a book full of his drug-culture tales, was published around 1958 and started the beatnik culture before hippies even know what was going on; Kinsey is a beatnik, not a hippie, and beatniks are very apropos of 1960.

This episode is slow-moving if you have a short attention span; if you prefer not to have to think about your television, you won't like this episode. This episode isn't about events; it's about relationships, social class, and the impenetrable masks of happiness and success that everyone is wearing. Everyone, that is, but Peggy; Peggy is the standout character this season, who is finally coming into her own without a man to lead her there or anything but her own talent and hard work. She is genuinely happy where she is and her honest feelings reveal the falsity of others'.