Mad Men

Public Relations

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 25, 2010 on AMC

• Mad Men's back! The thing I love about the show is that it is never predicable; you think you know where the writers are taking you, and then they take a fascinating detour.

As always, my favorite character is Peggy and my favorite interactions are Peggy and Don. They have a clashing yet mutually-supportive relationship that is endearing and subtle. I loved when he told Peggy to "spit it out, honey." Then when he was getting snotty with Peggy over the ham brouhaha, she reminded him he didn't exactly do a lot for the firm's image either--thanks to his less than stellar first interview.

I've never been a big fan of Betty, even when Don was cheating on her and receiving reports from her therapist. I just find that she's a cold fish. I don't know if that's because of the material she's given or a result of January's portrayal. I actually enjoy watching Betty's slow realization that she traded one prison for another. Her reluctance to move out of the house she shared with Don is telling and Henry should be careful; Henry's reluctance to spend time with Betty and baby Gene is equally telling and Betty should be careful. Though, I did appreciate Henry sticking up for Sally when his mother got all huffy. However, I think his mother has Betty's number more than Henry. Poor Sally. She's so going to go wild when the 70s hit!

P.S. More Joan please.