Mad Men

Public Relations

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 25, 2010 on AMC

• A great start to the new series... Favourite Quote: "This is a missed opportunity, you turned all the sizzle from 'Glo-Coat' in to a wet fart!"

The question I ask myself after I watch any episode of any show - is: 'What strikes me the most about this particular episode'. After all, every episode is unique in its own way. In the case of Mad Men, 'Public Relations', what struck me hard as much as it struck Drapers character is the new sexual fantasies that Donald Draper has developed. During the episode, Isabel, a young, petite sex interest of his slaps Donald sadistically on his request. Although this is an interesting concept, I wonder where the writers got it from? It seems very mid-80s and too liberal for the 50s/60s. Regardless, out of the entire episode, the scene stuck out the most!

***SPOILER ALERT***

Now, as for the new ad-agency, taking on the surnames of all the major partners - called 'Sterling Cooper Draper and Pryce' and only has just one-floor by the way. Firstly, I should point out, Holloway does not get a title in the company name, I suppose this has something to do with the portrayal of women in the 50s, as you will see in the episode, that there is also no stigma attached referring to the disabled reporter as 'half'. Donald Draper is finding it difficult to manage the mortgage on his home, the taxes and bills - even though he doesn't live there, Betty does. Betty Draper has become more 'excited' with her new love interest, Henry (who we pick off from last season). There is a battle between her romance with Henry and her children, both of whom are very attached to their fathers character. The character of Betty is becoming careless, and refuses to move out of the house.

Pete and Peggy are on good terms, and work together on pulling off a publicity stunt to sell more Hams. Problem being the people involved in the publicity stunt (two women fight over hams) want money for bail, and even more for their discretion, which could stain the newly founded reputation. Donald punishes Peggy for the stunt after finding out, by excluding her from a potential client meeting.

In the beginning, Donald Draper is sitting at a restaurant, discussing himself to a reporter. After being asked 'Who is Donald Draper', he replies 'I grew up in the Mid-West, there it was impolite to talk about yourself'. Giving the crippled reporter - the freedom to write openly about Draper proves a mistake on Drapers part. He is portrayed negatively in the press. Sterling and the others are disappointed. Following on from this, a client who make Bikinis wants to be more 'modest' by naming their products '2pc Bathing Suits', and being more 'family' oriented. After the client refuses to take on Donald's idea on a provocative ad for their bathing suits, Donald becomes angry and kicks his clients out of his office for not taking the risks to beat the competition.

There is a lot going on with Donald Draper and the company. After a client pulls out, and Donald kicking out a potential second, the company has little to fall back on. That said however, he rises to the challenge when Roger Sterling manages to get him a second interview, this time with the Wall Street Journal. The series ends with the classic 'Tobacco Road', possibly signifying Donald's journey thus far.

Review by See_Everything