Mad Men

Public Relations

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 25, 2010 on AMC

• Don Draper the rock star

For someone who is new to this Emmy hoarding drama, let me tell you something. This show is going to drag so much that one hour will seem like an year. The premiere was just a good opener, but I didn't really see the same excitement with which they left off last October.

The office setting is new and clearly the crew has put in a lot of thought into representing architecture as a function of time. At the end of season 3, we were expecting a new workplace, a workplace where there are no power struggles, a place where Joan has as much of a say as Don, and one where Peggy is not treated like a piece of trash.

Well I was wrong, the new workplace seemed more like the old one. We still have the same power structure where Don Draper subjects his people to his whims and fancies. And Joan, well she was pretty much forgotten, again. Betty Draper's character is simply annoying and reminds me of someone who is on the verge of killing themselves. She wasn't happy when she was with Don, and her new life with Henry doesn't seem like walk in paradise either. She will continue to be a troubled soul, and till that time, every minute she comes on screen will be simply dreadful.

I liked the opener, though there was nothing much to read into and take away from it. I hope this season provided the much need stimulating drama, we rarely find on TV these days.