Mad Men

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMC Premiered Jul 19, 2007 Between Seasons

AJMeredith

Mad Men Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• Best female characters on TV

And I don't mean the characters are best because they're so likeable, quite the opposite. Yes, there's the 60s context, the sexism and all, but actually I cannot tell any other show that depicts it's main female characters (speaking of Betty and Peggy) so removed from being sexual and really focus on what drives them: Not men, or maybe men only on the surface of things, but I love that it comes to what they wanna make of their lifes, and how they try to find out in those revolutionary years. I understand that to some this is not appealing or exciting to watch, but to me it's the most moving and emotional thing. To write this stuff, even dare to write it in such a quiet, thin-on-action-manner is just outstanding and remarkable.
  • Cigarettes and Sexism in the 60s

The title "Mad Men" is not only double clear but triple clear. To begin with, it is a rewrite of the term ("ad men") and most of these ad companies were on Madison Avenue (Mad Ave), where they coined the term. Finally, there is of course the literal sense: mad men, crazy men which the show is built upon.

The main character is Don Draper (Jon Hamm) - an extremely successful advertising agent in the firm of Sterling Cooper.

It isn't one of the major providers but they are still very sucessful, thanks to Draper. And that's why they come over and try to sign him, now and again.

Don, in fact broods on a secret that pops up a few times during the first season, but he does his best to let it remain a secret. Meanwhile it is not the only thing that Don fiddles with. Although he is married, with wife and kids out in the suburbs,

he has - and accumulates - several mistresses, while wife Betty (January Jones) walks around at home and thinks the best of him and gets phased when the neighbor tells of her husband's extramarital adventures. A large part of the season is spent to portray that it is not so good between the couple Draper, and the 'transformation' of Betty is somewhat spectacular.

Women Depictions otherwise is something that really gets our eyebrows wrinkled. Gender was not a key word in the 60s, something that newly hired secretary Peggy Olsen (Elisabeth Moss) becomes aware of when she walks into Sterling Cooper in the first episode. Don Draper is admittedly kind to her but there is a clear class difference between the successful ad-men and their secretaries. More than once Peggy runs in on colleagues standing in the ladies' room, crying. And when she least expects it, she's there herself.

As guidance, Joan Holloway (Christina Hendricks), who has found the perfect balance between the two camps. This curvy woman has developed into one of the most exciting characters as the series progresses. However, It goes awfully well for Peggy, and soon she is a copywriter, to some men's displeasure.

Among the most entertaining that is going on in the series is Don's relationship with his immediate boss Roger Sterling (John Slattery), where there really is a brilliant chemistry between the actors. Among other things, we get to see what happens when you have fought your way up to the 23rd floor via the stairwell after a couple of dozen oysters with accompanying drinks.

One of the things I like most about "Mad Men" is how they incorporate real events in the story, and as I suspected after season 2 we got to be involved in the assassination of JFK, the entire country to a halt, which is noticeable when Roger Sterling (John Slattery) daughter's wedding falls right after. At the same time it is whispered about Vietnam, something that develops later in the series.

This type of reality and the stories of the 60's century spirit that today feels almost alien (as, for example, the pregnant Betty smokes and drinks without any kind of thoughts that she has a live person in the stomach) is the details that really lift the "Mad Men "to a higher level. It feels so real and believable, while it is just strange and almost unreal.

Five seasons in, there is no sign that the series' quality would begin to slump. It is still as beautiful and well made as it has been since day one, and once you've started watching "Mad Men" it is hard to stop.
  • Mad Men

What deflects from the blatant "penut butter" flow of the show is the puke-inducing inhallation of what we "now" know to be sickening. Hell, I used to smoke my face off (hardest fucking thing I've ever had to do). Just saying, this may be a little too much puffin' and not enough "make it real by focusing on the story and not letting the main characters get away with murder" stuff. This show has potential... kick it in the ass p.d.t.! P.S. the secretary to the dick is most memorable and should be given more creative licemse. e.
  • Hotter than most....

Amazing script, awesome casting, Like nothing else on right now. A flare for details that lacks in most shows. Cant wait to see more from Don and the gang.
  • The most overrated show in television history.

Mad Men gets the best reviews today and probably has the highest reviews all-time behind only The Wire and The Sopranos. However, it is sorely lacking in what makes great stories, substance. You can only get by in recreating the 1960s upper-class white lifestyle for so long. As for style, there is nothing the show lacks. The costumes are great, the sets are great, and the props all bring the 60s back to life. History is integrated into the story and those who lived during that time (who were also rich and white) may remember things this way.

The substance though is a best clichéd and at worst lacking. You have the husband who cheats on his wife... time and again. You have a decent gay story line, but today that also seems cliché. In the end, the characters are fairly compelling, but the stories just aren't there or are forced. So if you loved the Sopranos which got by in the same way with great characters and mediocre stories then you will probably love this too. If you actually like your characters to be compelling and be part of a larger interesting story then you will be sorely disappointed. It also suffers (in my opinion) from being a soap opera, which I find to be a cheap way to introduce over the top (read unbelievable) stories.
  • Is a series about old times which, however, raises an innovative look, a reinterpretation of the 60 showing an angle more powerful and complex than the image that has survived in history

The use of the atmosphere, lighting, colors and costumes in the show are fully consistent with the slogan of the advertising agency Sterling Cooper:"The medium is the message.".The atmosphere has so much prominence that is integrated as part of the plot, as a living element.

When Mad Men began, many people said that this story was not going to be successful, in an environment dominated by reality shows and comedies. But it proved the opposite.

The other series located in the middle of the twentieth century, had exploited topics as World War II, the rock bands and changes in the political scene.Never one series had been giving so much importance to this issue: the traumatic transition to integrate women into the professional world, which is something we now take for granted.

Along with the set, Mad Men offers a caring atmosphere that is reflected it even in the smallest details.The use of music, based not on what people remember, but it really sounded on the radio in 1960 it is one of the series' treasure.

Another amazing aspect is the ingenious gold mine of the series.Mad Men has closed lucrative contracts for placement with brands such as Heineken, Cadillac, Hilton, Pond's and even Pepsi.

When things are done right, the obsolete turn in classical and magnificent.

• More glorification of the worst sides of people. It's not even trying to be fake. And that's what's depressing about it.

Ad executives in the 1960s were not known for their decency or their honesty. They had gargantuan egos, and they never met a principle on which they couldn't sneeze, if it meant they'd make some more money; to them, higher earnings were the extent of morality. I'm not a Puritan, but this show just makes me feel as if I need to go find some industrial strength soap. I don't really buy the argument that it's fun to watch these people get their just desserts. There's too much ambiguity or openly gloating in the bad behavior for that to work. When you're on a roller coaster, you can't just jump off in the middle. It tends not to work that way. Again, I'm not claiming to be any kind of perfect person myself. I know, we all have flaws. It's just that there aren't always two sides to every story. Some things look bad because they are.
  • Welcome to the 60's!

I'm not a big fan of Sopranos, Boardwalk or Breaking Bad which are often compared to Mad Men. Mad Men is different, I understand the characters and can relate to them in a way that I can't do in the other shows.

I really like Don Draper not only because Jon Hamm is gorgeous but because he feels real. He has many flaws and can be really mean but I feel that he always tries to be better. He get's all the stuff a "normal"successful man should have, beautiful wife, kids, a nice home and a good job. He should be happy, why isn't he? That's why he is so great working in advertise, he knows how to sell it because he's already bought it.

It's fun the see into the world of an advertising agency in the 60's, the style, the people, the talk and how they change over the years. I absolutely adore the clothes, make up and hair, all of the women look amazing. I know it's TV but it's not realistic for a hard working office woman like Joan to look so made up everyday.

My favorite characters on the show are Don, Pete, Peggy,Trudy, Betty, Roger and little Sally.

Can't wait for season 5!

• AWESOME SHOW........................ PERIOD.

THis show is unlike anyother show on tv , we need some more good shows based on drama rather than comedy and MAD MEN is one of the best shows i have seen .

This show really takes u into the 60's , and it corresponds well with the events that happened at that time. The characters are very believable and easy to relate to .

Any person who has not seen this show is missing out , but if all you care about are comedy or reality shows then no need to look here .

• A great show set in the 1960's, we follow main character Don Draper through his life at his perfect hime to his job at an advertisement agency. The show is really about his & several other featured character's search for happiness and a place to belong.

This is a series that strives to disect a few very specific aspects of the human condition. We are all looking for happiness, and happiness is knowing that everything is going to be okay, knowing that 'we' are going to be okay. These lines spoken by main character Don Draper perfectly sum up the series, and what I feel it strives to be perfectly. This is a show for those who enjoy subtle character study and reading in between the lines. The greatest parts of this show are not what can be seen but what lies beneath the surface. I feel it accurately portrays the desperate internal struggles of lost character's who just want to find out where they fit in and how they can truly feel happy. In the end this is a series about finding happiness and the fact that the character's trying to obtain it are so flawed is what keeps them from finding it.

This series is full of so many little things, alot of people have criticized how slow the show is to them, but it is in these slow moments that the true series can be found for those who choose to see it that way. It's fine to enjoy this simply for the base stories or the character's or the setting but the reason it has won so many awards and garnered so much acclaim is because of the use of subtle character exploration. The difference between this show and other excellent shows like Breaking Bad is that while other shows tend to be about situations and the character's explored just happen to be the ones in them, Mad Men is more about the character's and the situations they are in just happen to be what they are experiencing. The sixties era the show takes place during draws in a lot of viewer's for pure nostalgia or curiousity alone, but while I feel it is portrayed well and beautifully I don't feel it is fair to expect it to be completely accurate or to say that the show is actually about that time. The time is just a interesting setting for this study of character to occur in. It isn't striving to portray a whole vision of the time, rather it takes the aspects that lend strongest to the overall story being told. The setting is poetically perfect for being a seeming visual picture of perfection that is so ironic to the dark and depressing character's we find within it. At the same time the era full of change, exploration and lifestyle upheaval near exactly reflects the internal issues the character's themselves are dealing with.
  • i'm glad they hired jon hamm to play don draper in mad men. i wouldn't be surprised to find out that this show's fanbase is 90% women. as it was with prison break, because of wentworth miller's hotness.

jon hamm is hot (hot hamm...hot d_mn) & hot ppl are fun to watch. if he were my neighbor & our windows were facing each other, i'd spend my days watching him while eating popcorn.... and so perhaps it is he, after all, that should be glad i get my fix from mad men.

mad men is don draper's (jon hamm) 1960s america, & don draper as a husband, advertising exec, father & lover of anything that moves. as long as it's pretty. despite the time & milieu, as expected, the topics are relatively relatable. they weren't that different from us, the writers try to tell us.

mad men was created by the guys behind the sopranos (or 1 of them? i dunno). what this means to me is a lot of stuff that's subject to interpretation, reading between the lines, & me thinking, "what does that even mean?" but only enough for the show to pique my interest.
  • this is a really good show on amc and is a huge hit and has recreated the 60s very well

in this show its about a ad agency in the 1960s and its very good . the show shows drama and involves cheating on wifes and how they worked back then it does a very good job of showing what happen during those times and the politics behide working in ad agency. it is a huge hit on amc and has done a very good job and has had show on the oprety winfrey show about there sucess . to me this show is good and even though i am not from the 60s it shows some viv picture of what happen back then and how they did bussiness.
  • Not at all it's cracked up to be. Depressing to say the least.

I'm feeling sooo depressed after each episode. I could call it a soap but it doesn't even leave you wanting more. I really wanted to start watching this show when it first came out, now i don't even want to continue.
    I heard so many people rave about it and now i need to go ask them WHY! All the positive reviews here must be done by the people who run that show- I'll probably get deleted too!
    My mother was from that Era and I know it was challenging but it never sounded THAT depressing! She would probably consider "GIDGET" more real to life!Or "I LOVE LUCY". Those shows had plenty of SMOKING, SHOWED MEN at work and also insulted Women at every turn and made it a classic that everyone loved!
    Sorry MadMen, sorry your life is so depressing and there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
    Poor white execs, their life is so sad even though they ran their world as they knew it. Why do I need to watch that? I'll grab some of the classics and chuckle instead of wanting to jump off a building.
    I'm just a bit disappointed sorry.
    Thanks for reading my rant.
  • How long will we watch a show about nothing?

5.5
    It's difficult to watch a show about nothing. Seinfeld was the original show about nothing. At least it was funny. I don't have the mental energy some apparently have to engage in the subtleties of the show. I wouldn't mind a little more glaring obtuseness. I enjoy the setting and surroundings of the 60s, and I don't mind a show that is introspective and causes us to think about our own lives, but I need just a little more glue to hold it together and some sort of compass to make me think the show is leading SOMEWHERE.

Lots of style, little substance, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
  • Sit down, relax with your favorite refreshment . It's now time for Mad Men. Disable your telephone, don't answer the door. You can't miss a word; you can't miss a facial expression. You will always see something new each time you watch (even reruns).

Mad Men is a hard act to follow. After watching Mad Men, other shows now seem empty and drab. Having fabulous and complicated characters holds my interest. At different times, I can relate to different characters. I have taped every show and then bought the dvd. The commentaries are great!!
    I especially loved the commentaries by the actors themselves. Can't get enough of Mad Men. Whenever it is rerun, I watch it for what seems like the very first time. It never gets old!! I graduated from high school and started my first job in 1955. so I can truly relate to Peggy. The church scenes really hit home because I was raised and still am a practicing Roman Catholic. Keep it coming!!!
    rubadon
  • It is not a light, entertaining show. But it is quite possibly the best thing on TV - in spite of, or thanks to its format.

Reading the negative reviews of this show here on tv.com is actually a lot more interesting than reading the positive ones. Some of them bring up interesting points (which I am willing to concede as they are a matter of personal taste), while others simply have not understood the show. Fair enough, I've given up on shows other people think are amazing.

But, being a massive TV consumer, and greedily gobbling up the entire three first seasons of the show (I catch on late sometimes) in a week I can safely say that this is one of the (if not the) best show I have ever seen.

Anyone who claims that this is a show about nothing has clearly not watched it. The show is, on the surface, a shallow dark drama about an ad agency in the 60s. It seems simple enough, and I can see that there are people who just cannot seem get past this thin veneer and peer through it to what is quite plainly something else.

To me, it's a character show. The plot, for lack of a better word, is based not in the obvious but in the struggles of all layers of society in 1960s America. Don Draper (Jon Hamm) strikes most people as a chauvinist pig who sticks his poker in anything in a skirt. Someone mentioned his military history (the Purple Heart in the desk) as a weak plot development, but the full ramifications of that Purple Heart haven't even today - two episodes away from the finale of the third season. An element of the plot which has been present in, but not dominated, the plotline for three whole seasons cannot to me be called a weak plot development.

If you are looking for a show which picks up a line of reasoning, or a problem, in one show only to resolve it the next - or even in a season - keep looking. This show is for those who are willing to stick with a show for the long haul. Who are interested in seeing the REAL lives of people, even if they are unreal and on tv. Who want to see that actions will have ramifications even years from the time they were made.

For those who claim that they cannot watch a show which makes them uncomfortable, I would encourage them to think more about why it makes them uncomfortable. The chauvinism, sexism, racism, biggotry and bluntness we see on the show is realistic. But the is set over 70 years ago. Personally, I find it refreshing to see a show which challenges our own ideas - making us squirm in our seats - with its bluntness. The show makes crude jokes and foul comments (Don Draper saying "You people.." with a sneer to Sal (Bryan Batt) still rings in my ears), and makes no excuses for it... because making excuses would nullify the point.

I am glad to finally have caught on to this show. I proudly join the massive herd of fans; wishing I could look as fabulous as Betty Draper, wishing I could land a man as dashingly handsome as Don Draper... wishing that gas still cost $.30 per gallon...
  • Mad Men-Stinkeroo

1.1
    People who smoked back then were cooler about it. Ad men, especially top level men were smoother and brighter. Overt creeps don't get very far in a culture like that, unless they inherit the firm. A leader like Draper would be more like H.R. Haldeman, less like this confused dweeb sweating out a presentation like it's an exam at prep school. And if a guy really is that unprepared and spends the night before f__g around, then he doesn't last in a results oriented, deadline-heavy shop like advertising. Finally, Draper is a vet with a purple heart in a desk (cheesy character development), and he acts like he wants to scream and curl up in a fetal position, even when he's having a drink with his client. I give you JFK as the 1960 model. Talk about your alpha male archetype. Was anyone involved with the production alive when HE was around? Incidentally, he wouldn't be horsing around buying the lady Mai-Tai's and boring her with his fake "I-don't-believe-in-tomorrow" cheese. Draper sounds like a loser. What is this show about?
  • Sopranos eat italian. original. Mad men smoke american. so what?

5.5
    Sopranos was a great show, because of 3 basic reasons:

1.Its main plot was the "mafia".
    2.the show was realistic.
    3.the characters were well written, and played.

Mad Men may seem original and interesing at the first time, but falls down at the first moment when you understand that in fact, its just the "sopranos" writting, in a 60's settings.

The writters should immediately understand that the way they told the story, and made dialogs work in "Sopranos" will never work for anothter settings than the "Italian Mafia" settings.

The Mafia is interesting, it is intriguing, they are criminals, their everyday life is meant to be interesting for the audience basically non familar with this background.
    They talk different, eat different, think different, and for a tv series, it is fun to write and to watch. Getting bored? add some action, and voila!

Every character had its scars and joys to tell, and somehow all of the characters were exciting. Wives, kids, Old timers, were all fun to watch. Again for one simple reason: they are all italian and all are related to a Mafia boss.

Sorry but this won't work for a "Successful American Buisness Man" living in the 60's.

To handle a script about advertising in the 60's is a bright idea, specially to remind the audience that it is at these times that the bases of advertising were slowly built.

But for a maximum 3 hours Big screen movie. Not tv series. To turn that to tv series promising "advertising plot" but handling advertising only 10 min in 8 episodes average, while showing most of the time the boring life of american wives and kids, troubles between uninteresting neighbors, or executives hitting on their assistants...

Its boring to death!

"do not smoke, it makes you look week" said the big boss, in episode 7. Well, the Mad Men series look week with a director who can't find something smarter than to shoot actors ligthing their cigarettes every 2 mins. ok they used to smoke a lot at these times, we got it. find something else!

Mad Men missed the big plot, several time, and is coming and going between a "desperate housewives wanna be in the 60's" and a week copy of the sopranos, trying to tell everyones story fast, treating small talk, and unnecessary details without success.

In Short:

This kind of writting will work for the Mafia only, and the Italian mafia of course.

Don't try this at "home" ;-)
  • Set in the advertising world of the early sixties we follow the struggle of some execs, their wifes and their secretaries with the upcoming urban angst.

If going back to the seventies is like "Life on Mars", going back even further to the early sixties should be, well, not that boring. The opening titles already foretell that the writers were missing some great opportunities. Modern style lounge to introduce an early-sixties series? Come on!

Back then, when white american males ruled supreme, it was so much easier to get laid - even if you were married. And it was so much easier to make fescennine jokes about in the office - without the dangers of getting sued for sexual harrasment. And finally, it was so much easier to have a smoke whereever you want and whenever you want - even if you are a gynecologist in consultation.

But that's about it. Story? Virtually non-existant. Characters or character development? Not a real trace, if you discount that facile stuff the writers try to sell you as psychological deepness or motivation.

All in all a harmless waste of airtime.
  • Uncomfortable to watch as a woman.

I watched the first 3 episodes and could not stomach any more. I felt so uncomfortable with the treatment of women and it reminded my mother of her youth. Does that make it a good show that it is realistic? Not for me. I thought that so many of the characters were characters... that were trying too hard. I could see what was going to happen with the plot and characters. Every stereotype and typical plot lines. I usually give new shows more time but I don't want to with Mad Men. I don't want to watch everyone smoking and treating women and minorities horribly. I don't care if the show is accurate in the details. Just because the characters act cool doesn't make the show cool. Stop trying so hard.

The good old days! Glad that I live in 2008!
  • I'm not a fan.

But here is the kicker: I have watched several episodes now, and I can't fault the originality of the setting, the exploration of the place in time, nor the acting for that matter. Its all quite good and original, while not trying to be something it is not:

It is not, well...substantive. I can't get into characters with no redeeming qualities. They are either SOB's (the male characters mostly), or they are simpering boobs or female martyrs (the female characters). I can't abide any of that! Not in real life and not on TV.

If I want to be entertained it will not be by characters whose behaviour I would not condone nor tolerate in real life, and when it a show full of such characters AND no plot, well then its a miss for me.

Still, I can see why its successful and award winning. And strangely, I wish it continued success, because if there is one thing I do applaud, its the presentation of an original idea for TV programming and an audience willing to embrace that.
  • Sorry I tried!

4.8
    Yes I tried but I find this show so slow and unimaginative I can't find a single character with any redeeming features or if not that, just not likeable, male or female. It just seems to be a bunch of hackneyed cliches'strung together in a strange unfeeling way. I wanted to like them but four shows in and I've had to give up! I wanted to like it the premise seemed good set in the 50's/60's? How the old styles of advertising came about,tongue in cheek humour from the outside (us) looking in. (them)But being what we know now about products like cigarettes it becomes rather sick humour and I do know It's not supposed to be funny! Well there's plenty more new stuff to look forward too so I will!
  • A character-driven show set in the 60's tells the story of ad man Don Draper and his family, as well as his co-workers at Madison Avenue based ad agency Sterling-Cooper.

Well, we've seen the first two episodes of a new season of Mad Men and I have to say, they show promise. After reading the reviews of many of the fans here, both for season 2 and for the first episodes of season 3, I sense some misunderstanding about this show's nature. Mad Men is primarily a character-driven show, as opposed to a story-driven one. That is why some think the story-lines have gotten weak. They are not at all weak in my opinion, but they do come second to the characters. They are provided mainly to put the characters into situations and then examine how they react or to provide insight and explain why they react the way they do. If you want a story-driven show, you should watch LOST, CSI or The Little House on the Prairie.

This season the show continues to revolve around Betty and Don, with other characters on the sideline, mainly Peggy and Pete. For me, Don represents a man who wants something that does not lie in his nature. He wants to live the American Dream. He knows this dream, he understands it, which is why he is so brilliant at advertising, but he has to fight for it more that most others. He has to fight himself and his origins. By nature he is a loner (we've seen why) and he has apparently never known real love until he meets Betty. He craves love, but even after finding it, he still goes searching for it all the wrong places. He loves Betty, but for him married life and a family does not come naturally. At work however, he's as solid as a rock. He's brilliant at what he does, he says and does all the right things, he's understanding and fair. He's simply a great guy! And even though he's a real dirtbag when it comes to his faimly, you still can't help but like him. I'd say that is exceptional character-creation.

Betty is one of my favorite characters. She is in many ways Don's complete opposite. She comes from money, a good home and she's the perfect loyal wife. She loves Don, but we get the feeling she has also missed a little bit out on love during her youth. Throughout season one, she suspects he's cheating. She may have a pretty face and a girlish demeanor but she's not as naive as she looks. She chooses to ignore her suspicions, or maybe she has no choice, but the stress of keeping up appearances (among other things) gets to her as we see in season one. Througout the show, she has grown stronger and more assertive, maybe in response to Don's behaviour. I can't wait to see how her character will evolve this season.

Last season we followed Peggy's conflicts with her faith. In the first two episodes of this season We follow her continuing battle to establish herself as a woman in a men's world. She realises some uncomfortable things about her profession, and about men. She's ahead of her time, and we continue to see the conflicts that brings on. Pete is in my opinion one of the more interesting characters on the show. He comes from real money, has never had to really work hard for anything, but by nature he's ambitious and wants to stand on his own two feet. His problem is he doesn't know how. He never gets what he wants, because in reality he is still a "kept man". What he gets, invariably come with a caveat. He gets to keep his job when Don almost fires him, because his family might make life difficult for Sterling-Cooper. This does not exactly make him popular with the heads at Sterling-Cooper. He lands a big account because his father-in-law ownes the company. He later pulls the account to punish Pete. This is why Pete often ends up as a pawn in a chess-game, the latest example being the sharing of the "head of accounts" title with Cosgrove.

Rearly have I seen a TV show that I like as much as I like Mad Men. It makes most of what is on TV today seem pretty mediocre.
  • I stand corrected. The show is back on track!

I am so glad that Don has finally been exposed for the sleezebag he is. Hats off to Betty for finally confronting her cheating husband! I think there was a message there when Betty comes downstairs where Don is sleeping on the couch and we see Betty with no makeup for the first time ever in the entire show. It's like she's ready to show a different, more courageous side to herself and she's no longer a doormat. The story line of Joan was also very interesting. Joan Holloway is a very fiesty, independent thinking girl and now she's engaged to a doctor who obviously wants a traditional stay-at-home wife. I don't know if Joan is that sort. How long Joan will keep up the act of the docile fiancee is anybody's guess.
  • Best American show on TV. Bar none.

I discovered this show close to the premiere of season 2. I watch a lot of international TV (Doctor Who, Corner Gas, Life on Mars, etc.), and I've been extremely disappointed in U.S. TV over the last few years. Then I found this gem. Wow! It's incredibly written and acted. Don is, without question, the biggest a-hole on U.S. TV. Betty is a doll, and deserves so much better than him. A great cast all-around. It's a shame a show like this is on AMC. If you ask me, it should be on PBS, then it would be like The BBC - a really good drama without commercials (that would be supremely ironic; a show about advertising execs in 1960s New York airing without commercial interruption on public television). Plus, it would get more viewers, but, what can you do?
  • Mystery mad men

Mystery mad men.
    Finally an episode which makes me want to watch more. The mystery around Don/Dick is a fresh impulse to the series which I was missing before. It might explain why he is the man he is today and that makes him much more interesting than just another advertisement guy. The scene with Adam in his apartment was so sad and very well played by the actors. The story about Peter switched him right back from being kind of sorry last episode, to being a full blown idiot once more. Trying to sell his wife just to get a story published showed his 'real' face again.
    That's probably the theme of this episode; almost all of the men are double faced.
  • Show about advertising execs and creative people. Focuses on the lives of ad men of the 1960s.

One of the best TV shows I've seen. Smart, funny, educational (kinda). Some people think it's a little slow but I think it is just right. Great acting. Great stories - especially if you like the 1960s. I especially enjoy seeing how historical events of the 60s played out - the Freedom Rides, Cuban Missile Crisis, death of Marilyn Monroe, etc.. I also enjoy how they depict females in the 60s. I don't understand why people are not more into this show. I couldn't stop watching it after I started season 1 episode 1. It gets you hooked because you want to know what is going to happen. The story moves slowly - which kills me but makes me want to watch it more!
  • Great show about the advertising profession in the 60's. It focuses on the lives of the staff while dealing with topical and the culture of the 60's.

Clever and incredibly well written and researched. The set and scripts are scarily accurate. Drinking at work out of the same tumblers my Mum still has from the 60's. Any one who doesn't like reality television as it is not based in reality but wants something historically real will love this. If you are too young to appreciate the accuracies refer your Mum, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie or any who may remember the 60's and watch it with them. For any professional women or girls who forget that women couldn't always have everything watch this and see the struggles of our Mother's and Grandmother's in the workforce. Shocking....

For those of us who missed out on the days of working where drinking was acceptable and harassment wasn't in the dictionary of the Human Resources (or maybe there wasn't Human Resources)....watch with horror and delight!
  • Nostalgic perfection

In the same way that trying on an outfit from a different decade is curiously fun, the same is true for watching the the slim-suit wearing, multi-addicted cast of Mad Men. The lynchpin in of seemingly sleeper hit, that hides more nefarious undertones than first thought, is Don Draper. Or Dick Whitman, depending who you ask. His sordid and equally mysterious past is but one of the many dramatic storylines that presents itself. Although this drama is mostly casted by previous unknown, the deepness of the stories and high caliber of acting soon makes these virtual unknowns seem all too familiar.
  • Brilliant Show

Mad Men is the best drama to come on to television since The Sopranos. No surprise since the show's creator, Matthew Weiner, was also an Emmy Award winning writer & producer for the latter. The show initially draws you in with its incredibly detailed recreation of life in 1960. The sets, the clothes and props are all faithfully authentic. But if that were the only thing that the show had to offer, one would lose interest very quickly. The rich, deep and well-crafted storylines draw you into the complex world of the show's protagonist Don Draper (Jon Hamm), his family and co-workers at Sterling Cooper advertising agency. Very rarely are shows this sophisticated, smart, well written and show such attention to detail.
1 2 3