Mad Men

Sunday 10:00 PM on AMC Premiered Jul 19, 2007 Returning April 5th, 2015

AJMeredith

Mad Men Fan Reviews (88)

• Bert was great summing up what can only be described as the morality play of Mad Men

As a 56 year old man who grew up with "How to Succeed in Business without really Trying" The song and dance number showed off the utterly charming gleam in Robert Morse eyes, totally evoking his irascible J Pierpont Finch character. And it was a a keystone moment in what is now the morality tale of "Mad Men",. the best things in life are free, Don, mentoring Peggy, the loyalty of Cooper, the friendship of Sterling and Don, the sense of the meaning of work that Don has learned, great great ending !!!!
  • More ad campaigns ... please

As As a a soap opera, "Mad Men" has been fine, superb in parts. When Episode 6 devoted considerable time to strategizing an actual ad campaign -- which was common in seasons 1-5 -- it was brilliant. Let's hope for at least a little more attention to the ad business, as a way of shedding light on the characters and their times. And for a complete guide to Sterling Cooper's ad strategies in seasons 1-6, check out "Mad Men's Guide to Persuasion" . Also see this post on Don and Peggy's work on the Burger Chef campaign 1kjCuc9).
  • An instant Classic

i decided to check out this series after the hoopla and hype it received by critics and couldnt connect with it due to the slow pacing of the show but i was glad i stick to it . its one of the best dramas out there with elegant production details capturing the 50's superbly with the costumes, behaviors and complete setting. The acting is top notch from the main characters with superb conflict on family drama not witnessed since The Sopranos. A must watch for all in need of quality .
  • With relevant morals and ideas, fascinating characters and superb writing, "Mad Men" easily takes its place among the finest shows on television

I have to admit that I have a harder and harder time finding anything good on television nowadays. I feel that either the quality of the shows are slowly diminishing and/or the shows that I do watch keep getting more and more repetitive as I keep on watching them. Because of this, I keep getting more underwhelmed by this form of entertainment and get sick of watching television more and more.

I bring this up since it's refreshing to know that there are programs out there that don't exist simply to repeat itself for the sake of its audience, but exist for the sake of bringing something new to the table. I like it when the purpose of a program is to explore the lives of the characters that they follow and the dilemmas that these characters undergo. This is what makes a great television series, and AMC's original drama series Mad Men is certainly a great television series. Not only does it put everything else on television to shame, but it's also probably my favorite television show on right now.

The show is set in the 1960's and follows one of New York's most valuable advertising agencies, Sterling Cooper. While it mainly follows the shady yet talented advertising executive Don Draper (Jon Hamm), it also looks at the people in his life both in the office and at home. Among the characters we follow are Don's secretary Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss) whose creative ambitions eventually make her a copywriter, young and spoiled account executive Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser) who accidentally learns about Don's troubled past, Don's seemingly perfect wife Betty (January Jones), head of the secretaries Joan Holloway (Christina Hendricks), and one of the agency's two senior partners Roger Sterling (John Slattery) who formerly mentored Don.

One of the major reasons why I love Mad Men as much as I do is because of the characters. These characters are not only well developed by the screenwriters and well acted by the performers who bring them to life, these characters also feel like people that exist in real life and I am able to identify with whatever situations that they are going through. I find the character of Peggy to be particularly strong and well thought out. I love how the writers made Peggy a woman who wasn't interested in impressing her drooling male co-workers like her other female co-workers might, but instead just wants to make a name for herself in her profession. Because of the fact that she's also a very likable character, I was able to really hope for the best with Peggy.

I also enjoyed the character of Roger Sterling since he steals every scene he is in. I liked how sharp and straight to the point he was, and I loved how calm he always seemed to be regardless of the stress he is faced with. It's as if he was subliminally not giving a crap about anything and that having a drink is part of the solution. Though he's not in most of the episodes, I enjoyed the character of Bert Cooper (Robert Morse) as well since I liked how he insists on having his employees take off their shoes whenever they're in his office and also how he walks around the agency only with his socks. Basically, I get great enjoyment off of the character's eccentricity.

Furthermore, even though the characters of Don and Pete as well as most of the men at Sterling Cooper commit some despicable actions, the writers were wise in not making them antagonistic. While we may not look up to them in season 1, they eventually start to show glimpses of their inner good come season 2. I am absolutely thrilled whenever television shows like this play with the audience's expectations in that way since it makes the characters more three-dimensional and more real. After all, there are people out there in real life that we meet who we don't care for at first but we eventually start to respect as we get older.

Now, let's talk about the eye candy also known as January Jones and Christina Hendricks. Along with playing smart and likable characters, Jones and Hendricks look absolutely amazing in this show. Whenever one of them is on screen, my eyes are automatically drawn to them they look that spectacular. When one of the characters said that Betty (Jones) looks very much like Grace Kelly, I said to myself, "No truer words were spoken". With their naturally pretty faces, their great physique, and their colorful dresses, I take great pleasure in seeing them every time they're on screen at any time.

What also makes Mad Men such a special television show is that we can make our own interpretations of what the show is about and we wouldn't really be far off. For instance, I believe that the show demonstrates the importance of two simple main ideas. One is temptations becoming addictions and another is the evolution of women's roles in society. When I say temptations becoming addictions, I'm talking about people doing things they shouldn't be doing but having trouble resisting and doing it often as a result. Good examples include Don sleeping with countless other women behind his wife's back and the countless amount of smoking and drinking everyone does in this show. With the evolution of women's roles, Peggy's story serves as the ultimate example of that for obvious reasons in that she is more interested in her work that her love life.

In my opinion, Mad Men does everything right with its acting, writing, and directing, and continues to be my favorite show on television.
  • one of the best shows of the 2010's

i'm getting addicted to this show

eveerything is simply perfect: the cast, the story, the acting

historical details are terrific

my only regret is how some characters disappear while they had a significant role during several episodes...

and also... 13 episodes per season only :(

why not 22-24 like other shows ????
  • Interestingly Dull!!

I believe in this show, cleverly nothing happens...

I am always eager for a complete change but even the most important events happen without any unnecessary excitement or exaggeration; picturing life for viewer as it is.

Showing everything but not saying it literally is what other series lack to some extent; but not Mad Men, which always leads us to a mysterious personality behind Don Draper and make me follow the show with utmost attention.
  • What Happens at season 6?

• all i can say is love

This show makes me wish i lived in the old days but in a more modern way. its so interesting i just can't stop watching it.
  • My favourite A+

This is the only series I own on iTunes. I am impressed by all the fine details and the story line. Every frame looks as if it could be a painting - perfect colours. I can't wait for new installments.
  • Yes. Double yes!

My fave show of them all. Period.
  • Mad Men-Dazzle with their Brilliance

I am more intrigued and utterly impressed with this seasons storylines and the perfection in everything to do with the fashions,music and interactions. A lot of people have done their homework on the overall re-creation of the 1960's. I think Jon Hamm has a lot to do with this. Every week I feel transported back and lovin' it!
  • mad men

I love this show
  • Mad Men

This show has 4 Emmy awards for Best Drama... 4! And now I can see why, this show has probably the best script ever in a drama series and the acting is outstanding, Jon Hamm is a great actor and fits the character of Don perfectly. Another remarkable thing about this show is the depth of the characters, especially Betty Drapper and Peggy. If you like complex and mature shows, you are going to love Mad Men.
  • great show

just started to watch this show and i love it !!!!!!!!!!
  • Best female characters on TV

And I don't mean the characters are best because they're so likeable, quite the opposite. Yes, there's the 60s context, the sexism and all, but actually I cannot tell any other show that depicts it's main female characters (speaking of Betty and Peggy) so removed from being sexual and really focus on what drives them: Not men, or maybe men only on the surface of things, but I love that it comes to what they wanna make of their lifes, and how they try to find out in those revolutionary years. I understand that to some this is not appealing or exciting to watch, but to me it's the most moving and emotional thing. To write this stuff, even dare to write it in such a quiet, thin-on-action-manner is just outstanding and remarkable.
  • Cigarettes and Sexism in the 60s

The title "Mad Men" is not only double clear but triple clear. To begin with, it is a rewrite of the term ("ad men") and most of these ad companies were on Madison Avenue (Mad Ave), where they coined the term. Finally, there is of course the literal sense: mad men, crazy men which the show is built upon.

The main character is Don Draper (Jon Hamm) - an extremely successful advertising agent in the firm of Sterling Cooper.

It isn't one of the major providers but they are still very sucessful, thanks to Draper. And that's why they come over and try to sign him, now and again.

Don, in fact broods on a secret that pops up a few times during the first season, but he does his best to let it remain a secret. Meanwhile it is not the only thing that Don fiddles with. Although he is married, with wife and kids out in the suburbs,

he has - and accumulates - several mistresses, while wife Betty (January Jones) walks around at home and thinks the best of him and gets phased when the neighbor tells of her husband's extramarital adventures. A large part of the season is spent to portray that it is not so good between the couple Draper, and the 'transformation' of Betty is somewhat spectacular.

Women Depictions otherwise is something that really gets our eyebrows wrinkled. Gender was not a key word in the 60s, something that newly hired secretary Peggy Olsen (Elisabeth Moss) becomes aware of when she walks into Sterling Cooper in the first episode. Don Draper is admittedly kind to her but there is a clear class difference between the successful ad-men and their secretaries. More than once Peggy runs in on colleagues standing in the ladies' room, crying. And when she least expects it, she's there herself.

As guidance, Joan Holloway (Christina Hendricks), who has found the perfect balance between the two camps. This curvy woman has developed into one of the most exciting characters as the series progresses. However, It goes awfully well for Peggy, and soon she is a copywriter, to some men's displeasure.

Among the most entertaining that is going on in the series is Don's relationship with his immediate boss Roger Sterling (John Slattery), where there really is a brilliant chemistry between the actors. Among other things, we get to see what happens when you have fought your way up to the 23rd floor via the stairwell after a couple of dozen oysters with accompanying drinks.

One of the things I like most about "Mad Men" is how they incorporate real events in the story, and as I suspected after season 2 we got to be involved in the assassination of JFK, the entire country to a halt, which is noticeable when Roger Sterling (John Slattery) daughter's wedding falls right after. At the same time it is whispered about Vietnam, something that develops later in the series.

This type of reality and the stories of the 60's century spirit that today feels almost alien (as, for example, the pregnant Betty smokes and drinks without any kind of thoughts that she has a live person in the stomach) is the details that really lift the "Mad Men "to a higher level. It feels so real and believable, while it is just strange and almost unreal.

Five seasons in, there is no sign that the series' quality would begin to slump. It is still as beautiful and well made as it has been since day one, and once you've started watching "Mad Men" it is hard to stop.
  • Hotter than most....

Amazing script, awesome casting, Like nothing else on right now. A flare for details that lacks in most shows. Cant wait to see more from Don and the gang.
  • AWESOME SHOW........................ PERIOD.

THis show is unlike anyother show on tv , we need some more good shows based on drama rather than comedy and MAD MEN is one of the best shows i have seen .

This show really takes u into the 60's , and it corresponds well with the events that happened at that time. The characters are very believable and easy to relate to .

Any person who has not seen this show is missing out , but if all you care about are comedy or reality shows then no need to look here .

• Sit down, relax with your favorite refreshment . It's now time for Mad Men. Disable your telephone, don't answer the door. You can't miss a word; you can't miss a facial expression. You will always see something new each time you watch (even reruns).

Mad Men is a hard act to follow. After watching Mad Men, other shows now seem empty and drab. Having fabulous and complicated characters holds my interest. At different times, I can relate to different characters. I have taped every show and then bought the dvd. The commentaries are great!!
    I especially loved the commentaries by the actors themselves. Can't get enough of Mad Men. Whenever it is rerun, I watch it for what seems like the very first time. It never gets old!! I graduated from high school and started my first job in 1955. so I can truly relate to Peggy. The church scenes really hit home because I was raised and still am a practicing Roman Catholic. Keep it coming!!!
    rubadon
  • It is not a light, entertaining show. But it is quite possibly the best thing on TV - in spite of, or thanks to its format.

Reading the negative reviews of this show here on tv.com is actually a lot more interesting than reading the positive ones. Some of them bring up interesting points (which I am willing to concede as they are a matter of personal taste), while others simply have not understood the show. Fair enough, I've given up on shows other people think are amazing.

But, being a massive TV consumer, and greedily gobbling up the entire three first seasons of the show (I catch on late sometimes) in a week I can safely say that this is one of the (if not the) best show I have ever seen.

Anyone who claims that this is a show about nothing has clearly not watched it. The show is, on the surface, a shallow dark drama about an ad agency in the 60s. It seems simple enough, and I can see that there are people who just cannot seem get past this thin veneer and peer through it to what is quite plainly something else.

To me, it's a character show. The plot, for lack of a better word, is based not in the obvious but in the struggles of all layers of society in 1960s America. Don Draper (Jon Hamm) strikes most people as a chauvinist pig who sticks his poker in anything in a skirt. Someone mentioned his military history (the Purple Heart in the desk) as a weak plot development, but the full ramifications of that Purple Heart haven't even today - two episodes away from the finale of the third season. An element of the plot which has been present in, but not dominated, the plotline for three whole seasons cannot to me be called a weak plot development.

If you are looking for a show which picks up a line of reasoning, or a problem, in one show only to resolve it the next - or even in a season - keep looking. This show is for those who are willing to stick with a show for the long haul. Who are interested in seeing the REAL lives of people, even if they are unreal and on tv. Who want to see that actions will have ramifications even years from the time they were made.

For those who claim that they cannot watch a show which makes them uncomfortable, I would encourage them to think more about why it makes them uncomfortable. The chauvinism, sexism, racism, biggotry and bluntness we see on the show is realistic. But the is set over 70 years ago. Personally, I find it refreshing to see a show which challenges our own ideas - making us squirm in our seats - with its bluntness. The show makes crude jokes and foul comments (Don Draper saying "You people.." with a sneer to Sal (Bryan Batt) still rings in my ears), and makes no excuses for it... because making excuses would nullify the point.

I am glad to finally have caught on to this show. I proudly join the massive herd of fans; wishing I could look as fabulous as Betty Draper, wishing I could land a man as dashingly handsome as Don Draper... wishing that gas still cost $.30 per gallon...
  • Show about advertising execs and creative people. Focuses on the lives of ad men of the 1960s.

One of the best TV shows I've seen. Smart, funny, educational (kinda). Some people think it's a little slow but I think it is just right. Great acting. Great stories - especially if you like the 1960s. I especially enjoy seeing how historical events of the 60s played out - the Freedom Rides, Cuban Missile Crisis, death of Marilyn Monroe, etc.. I also enjoy how they depict females in the 60s. I don't understand why people are not more into this show. I couldn't stop watching it after I started season 1 episode 1. It gets you hooked because you want to know what is going to happen. The story moves slowly - which kills me but makes me want to watch it more!
  • Great show about the advertising profession in the 60's. It focuses on the lives of the staff while dealing with topical and the culture of the 60's.

Clever and incredibly well written and researched. The set and scripts are scarily accurate. Drinking at work out of the same tumblers my Mum still has from the 60's. Any one who doesn't like reality television as it is not based in reality but wants something historically real will love this. If you are too young to appreciate the accuracies refer your Mum, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Auntie or any who may remember the 60's and watch it with them. For any professional women or girls who forget that women couldn't always have everything watch this and see the struggles of our Mother's and Grandmother's in the workforce. Shocking....

For those of us who missed out on the days of working where drinking was acceptable and harassment wasn't in the dictionary of the Human Resources (or maybe there wasn't Human Resources)....watch with horror and delight!
  • Smoking, Sex, Whiskey and a whole lot of advertising, there aren't enough good things that I can say about Mad Men.

Set in the 1960's Mad Men takes us back to when things seemed a lot more simpler but really were just as complicated if not more so. Mad Men follows the life of Don Draper a higher up in the Sterling Cooper Advertising world. Where smoking is practically a way of life, drinking on the job seemes to be required and cheating on your wife is an excellent hobby. This show makes me want to live in the 1960's. granted I want to live in the tv version of it of course, though the writers do an excellent job of getting every detail right. Everything down to the cigarette brand is looked at. Period shows are one of my most favortie generes of tv and I was sad when American Dreams was cancelled, but here came Mad Men and my 1960's world was yet again revibed in what I can only say as one of the best tv shows to date.
  • Mad Men is the best show to hit television in a long, long, time!

Mad Men is by far one of the best shows to ever be in television! I look forward to each and every episode! I highly encourage people to watch, it is neat to see the way things were in the 1960's. Don Draper is charming, even though he cheats on his wife regularly, I still really love his character! He's dark and personable. January Jones, who plays Don's loyal wife Betty, has her own way about her, she looks innocent, but isn't, and she deeply loves her husband, the office staff is great, too, I promise, if you watch Mad Men once, you will be hooked. Enjoy!
  • Really a great and awesome show!

This is a great and awesome show. As I think that it is one of the best cable shows on tv. As it shows the world of advertising and how people will go to get to the top. Meaning, that they would step on each other's toes in order to climb their way to the top. They act like they are real people. Because sometimes, that is the way that people play when they want what they really want. The boss is the boss from you know where. As those under him want to really bring the guy down. He is the guy you love to hate. Great acting, great writing!
  • One of the best shows on TV

Mad Men is a near perfect show and one of the best shows of the decade. It shows the how shockingly diffrent our country was not very long ago. This show realisticly and beautifuly depicts an America where pregnant women smoked,drinking on the job was a requirement, and something on the side with a secretary wasn't harrasment. The performances are all stunning,led by Jon Hamm's dark determined Don Draper, this is one of the best ensembles in years. What I love best about this show though is how it makes the debauchery of the 60's workplace seem almost elegant, and the writers make us both believe and love every minute we spend in the chain smoking,scotch soaked,secretary screwing world of 1960's Madison Avenue.
  • Great show! Portrays the "before legal rights" clubby sexist "harassment" business offices. It also portrays life before PC's and carbon paper versus copy machines. In the late 60's there was a "copy girl" who was the only one to use the "new" machines.

Too bad the summer sets did not use those dapper straw hats for the men. There was actually a day designated to start wearing straw hats and a follow up personnel policy for returning to felt hats.

Show does not show how women had to leave when a certain month pregnant & lost "time" benefits if they returned to work-all married women lied about what month they were so they could work longer. All in all the show does show life in that time period. It was different. The office parties and picnics were wild "free for alls" and the next day people went back to work and didn't talk about who was with who. Everybody was drunk and "shagging" someone- some couldn't remember who.

The depiction of the "big boss" is excellent. I worked for one that thought he was saving the company a fortune. Whenever he left his office he would pick up paper clips that were on the floor and return them to the supply cabinet. We used to purposefully drop them on the floor when we saw him coming by.
  • This is my new favourite show. Although there is a disgraceful amount of...

Although there is a disgraceful amount of racism and the men are 100% misogynistic, it is nothing to be upset about since it is in the 60´s, and this makes the viewer a bit unease to the idea that it wasn't THAT long ago when women were treated as monkey pets and black people as well as Indians and people from the orient were treated as third class citizens (if not worse). Through the brutal use of the N word and the sad picture of the woman-object it indirectly plants the seed of how wrong it all is and how everything was going down the drain. Although they all smoke ALL the time, even when in a visit to a physician, or in bed or even pregnant women, they do not glorify smoking or make it look cool, because after a long smoking party night they always wake up looking terrible and coughing their lungs out as if they suffer from the worst disease. Same messages go through after they say something racist or misogynistic. Without being preachy or prudent and without ANY religious boring clichés, Mad men show you the down side of the 60's as never before shown. But there is also a pretty side. The beginning of something big, the smell of a big change and beauty of certain things. Most of all is very well written and the actors are a joy to watch. I particularly have a small crush on the character of Christina Hendricks (Joan). I really hope she gets more lines and her caracter gets bigger next season. This woman is so vibrant, so beautiful, so full of life and so talented, she is an absolute pleasure to watch, an angel straight from the Heavens.
    Give Mad Men a try. The episodes are long and enjoyable like short movies.
    I give it a hard 10!
  • Awesome Show!!!!!

Wow i had heard so much about this being like the best new show since "the wire" and it was on top of many critics lists and stuff and i just watched the 1st episode last week on amc and man its really amazing. Its definately my new favorite show and i can't wait to watch the rest of the season. I really hope season 2 starts soon also because I am just loving this show. The look and feel of it is so cool. I can't believe I just found out about it! It seems like all the good shows are on cable lol.
  • Booze, sex and let's get some copy.

Who here doesn't wish they could smoke at their desk, pull a bottle of booze from the desk drawer, pour a drink, light a cigarette and talk with the boys(or girls) about the hotties in the office?

Welcome to an ad agency in the 60's courtesy of "Mad Men". (I've had the first season on my DVR and now i'm finally watching it a few months later.) Mad Men is centered around an advertising exec, Don Draper. He has idiots for bosses, he's surrounded by lecherous men and the secrateries all think they have to sleep their way to a husband. Don outwardly remains proffessional, yet he has a couple of mistresses while he has a beautiful wife at home. The wife has problems too. There is plenty of conflict going on.

More than anything Mad Men is a great period piece. From the office and it's culture to the ad copy and ad-artwork, it is a perfect view of the 60's.
< 1 2 3