Mad Men

The Arrangements

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 06, 2009 on AMC

• Sally Draper gets some screen-time.

It's a testament to how powerful Mad Men is as a show that my favorite story arc of the season so far isn't Don Draper or Peggy Olsen or Pete Campbell, but instead Sally Draper's plot. I don't know why Sally's plot suddenly became so interesting to me, but after "The Arrangements" ended, I was actually excited to see where the writers would take her next. After Sally gets closer and closer to her grandfather, Gene ends up collapsing in a grocery store and passes away. When Sally learns this, she grows withdrawn until she hears her family laughing in the living room in regards to a memory about Gene. Sally grows furious that her family is laughing when Gene is dead and never coming back. She watches TV, staring intently at the screen as they show a photo of a man who set himself on fire.

This is a very effective way to not only bring the plot involving Sally and Gene to a close but also an efficient way to bring a new plot in: the maturing of Sally Draper. I'm not sure how much time the show will cover, but Sally is quickly becoming an interesting aspect of the show, something I wouldn't have thought before.

Meanwhile, the stuff at Sterling Cooper wasn't holding my interest as much as it usually was, but it was still great. We had Pete bringing in a new account, one for the sport jai alai.. Now, maybe it's just because I know nothing about this sport or what it is, but I didn't care too much about it. And Peggy's plot, where she looks for a new roommate, was funny and gave Joan a great little moment where she gives advice to Peggy on getting a good roommate, but it didn't feel all that important in the long run.

However, one thing I loved is Peggy announcing to her mom that she's moving to New York. It was a heart-breaking scene to watch the mom chastise Peggy like that.

If I had more time, I'd write about other aspects, but overall, the episode was strong.. definitely my favorite of the season.