Mad Men

The Benefactor

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 10, 2008 on AMC

• The two major storylines do not only fail at moving the show forward, but are overall boring to boot. What has happened to the good ol' days of Mad Men, when everything was witty and making you wonder who Don Draper really is.

The second season hasn't been blowing people out of the water like the first did, but the first two episodes did have a flair and overall kept true to the show. This episode, however, failed in that regard as the characters just seem bland. My biggest issue with the episode was the Harry Crane storyline. I thought it would be interesting to have one of the "lackeys" be seen as a true character, instead of just a group of one liners. However, Crane just came across as whiny and bland. He wanted a raise and watching him try to reason his way of getting it, just wasn't interesting. I came into this episode liking Harry as a character, but this episode just made him seem as paper thin as possible.

The Donald Draper storyline was also severely lacking. "Mad Men" seemed to want to use this to "slap" fans in the face with Don's obvious fidelity problems. His affair with a comedians manager is not only boring, but does not even give us a new angle on Don, as most episodes do. I just hope that this was one episode fluke, and Don can be the interesting character he once was.

I do, however, want to give accolades to January Jones, for putting out the one strong scene of the episode. Her scene at the stables was extremely suspenseful and ended in a way that not only showed the differences between her and Don, but also her own inner turmoils. Definitely the highlight of this lackluster episode.