Mad Men

The Good News

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 08, 2010 on AMC

• Don the Pimp....

This was a pretty average, easy going episode by Mad Men's storytelling standards. What starts out by Don experiencing the futility of life ends with a him finally embracing the inevitable as he and the rest head into 1965.

We see Don stepping into Dick Whitman's shoes as arrives in LA, before heading to Acapulco. He reconnects with Anna and is shattered to learn the hard way that she has cancer. He also realizes there is nothing much he could do, other than, as her sister (I guess) says, be the man in the room with the checkbook. I personally enjoyed the second part of the episode, where Don and Lane get drunk out of their minds and hit the city like some stoned teenagers. Don also hooks up Lane with a prostitute for which Lane thanks him for the welcome distraction.

As much as I love seeing Christina Hendricks on the screen, I absolutely hate that creep of her husband. I couldn't stand him as Sam in Desperate Housewives, and he is simply an unwanted piece in the complicated character maze of Mad Men.

This episode was okay, and I don't expect to see a lot of action for a few more episodes.