Mad Men

The Gypsy and the Hobo

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 25, 2009 on AMC

• The climax of the season occurs as Betty and Don have it out. Don's change in identity mirrors a new dog food client and Joan's husband.

This is probably one of the most straightfoward episodes of the series as Don finally is caught by Betty and they have a talk. I thought she would hold onto the information she had, but she confronts him headlong and we see Don Draper become Dick Whitman before our eyes. This is the kind of episode where we again see why this show won emmys two years in a row.

As this show brilliantly does, the product and the date tie into the theme, as it is halloween and a tarnished dog food company needs Sterling Cooper. The latter is a fake out as the owner of the company was a former flame of Roger's who now wants him back. Like Betty, she had a carboard perfect fantasy life of them in her head that got crushed in this episode. Roer wanted none of it, and he got the perfect revenge fantasy of dumping a dumper. As he said, this isn't Casablanca and the girl in the movie did not go on to run a dog food company.

The product got very bad publicity in a movie (The misfits") and Don gives a speech to her about the need to change the name of the product because the name is tainted. Of course, he could have been speaking about himself too. The name doesn't matter if what is inside is true.

Joan smacks her husband on the head with a vase, as his self-pitying finally played itself out. She knows about broken dreams as she married this guy after all her competence and planning. She set herself up for someone like Roger and realizes she's stuck with him. He tried on several identities this season and now picks the army surgeon. She is still trying to make a go of it, but we see in her face she is less than thrilled.

Like last season, the emotional climax of the season comes not at the end of the season as we still have a few more episodes to go. The remaining episodes look to feature the fate of sterling cooper and peggy and the office and whether Betty decides the marriage is better now that she knows the truth or not.