Mad Men

The New Girl

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 24, 2008 on AMC

• An uncharacteristically uninteresting episode

Okay, so on previous episodes, I didn't mind Bobbie too much (although she's a ho - Don is too though), but on the first 15 or so minutes of this episode - through to her in Peggy's apartment - I just didn't like seeing her at all. the whole beginning wasn't anything new & even Don looked as though he was bored. The only good thing that came of that whole event was having Peggy as Don's saviour. She has to be my favorite character on this show now. Absolutely calm, cool, & collected, it was interesting seeing her basically revert to the role of Don's secretary. I wasn't a big fan of Bobbie's lousing around Peggy's apartment either & especially of her condescending advice (although that last bit was valuable & was utilized well with Don later in the episode). I also am confused by the portrayals of Pete & his wife - are they supposed to be that fake or are the actors just over-acting? That whole scene after the discovery that Pete's semen is viable just felt too overdone & overreaching for emotion, but I did love Pete's reaction. The family scene at the end seemed to be written in almost as an afterthought - there was barely any Betty at all in this episode & I would have loved to have seen more. Also, I still love Joan & applauded her comment to "the new girl" - "your decolletage is distracting" & subsequent scolding. classic. Oh & lastly, 2 comic scenes that, in my view, totally failed: Pete in the doctor's office cut to Roger wacking the paddle-ball on the table & the bizarre zipper-Mozart. I'm only giving this episode a 7 because I do love this show & even though this was one of the show's weakest episodes in my opinion, it still is better than the majority of TV dramas.