Mad Men

The Phantom

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jun 10, 2012 on AMC

• Pretty Good Season Final

So season five is now officially over. Over all this was a very interesting season and this was a pretty good season finale. You do get to see Peggy for those who are curious but the episodes revolves around Don and Pete for the most part. Compared to the other season finals this one was ok, in a way it didn't really have the feeling of a season finale it kind of felt like a regular episode for me. But yes it was very interesting to see how the different characters deal with the "phantoms" in their lives. Don is faced with the phantom of being somewhat responsible for both his brother, Adam, as well as Lane killing themselves and he actually does see the image of his brother "haunting" him throughout the episode. Megan is faced with chasing a dream that she can't get (her acting career), and what her mother says to her about her dreams was pretty much what I thought as well. And Pete has to deal with not being able to get the life that he wants (and the whole situation with what happens to Beth is really sad).

In this episode Don once again is faced with that fact that he is constantly losing the people around him and he is that type of man who needs people to depend on him and doesn't like the feeling of being alone. Whether they literally leave him (Adam) or are able to support themselves and don't need to depend on him anymore (Peggy). This episode also marks a point in which Megan doesn't need to depend on Don as much because he helps her boost her acting career by allowing her to star in a national commercial for one of his clients. So next year her career might take off and she won't need him to support her anymore.

My favorite scene in this episode is when Don runs into Peggy at the movie theater and they catch up. It was cool to see them sitting together as equals and not have Don act superior towards her. But I think I kind of got more excited when I heard the theme to Casino Royale ('67 spoof version) playing in the background, because the thought of them watching that movie together is kind of funny.

The end cliff hanger for this episode was really good. It starts with Joan getting the second floor for their offices, Peggy is able to travel and work on bigger accounts (wonder how she will affect SCDP next year), Roger is chasing his LSD high (and we do get to see his naked backside which I personally did NOT want to see) and Trudy allowing Pete to get his own apartment in the city. But the BEST part was the end in which Don goes into a bar and a woman asks him if he's alone and he just turns to her and it cuts to the credits. So I have a feeling that Don is going to revert to his old ways and act the way he did when he was married to Betty so I'm excited. Overall a pretty good episode, if you're a fan of Mad Men then you'll like it.