Mad Men

The Suitcase

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 05, 2010 on AMC

• Excellent episode

On Sunday night, I decided to catch up on the episodes that I had recorded and managed to get through all but one of them. This was the last one that I watched before recording the newest episode and I was blown away by the episode.

While I want to go on and describe the premise of the episode, many other people have described the episode so more eloquently described it. But I will pick on a few moments that were key to the plot of the story. The first moment that I felt was key was when Trudy Campbell came into the ladies room, while Peggy was getting ready for her "romantic" birthday dinner with her boyfriend, Mark. The reason that I felt it was important was due to the fact that one can see that Trudy is very pregnant, while when Peggy was pregnant, nobody even knew that she was pregnant. Also the fact that Trudy seems to rub in the fact that Peggy is 26 and still not married, almost making Peggy as though she is somehow inferior for not being married and still single. There is also the fact that Peggy gave birth to Pete's child and that Trudy still doesn't know that Pete got Peggy pregnant (I can't imagine how Trudy would react to that news; actually I can, but I digress), which was made reference to later in her conversation with Don at the bar. The encounter with Trudy almost highlights what Peggy's mom feels about the fact that Peggy is still single and is making a career of her own and as though that somehow Peggy's decision to concentrate on her career rather than concentrating on having a family.

The second moment that I felt was key was after Don had received the formal news that Anna had passed away. Not only does it show the cracks that are starting to appear in Don's amour, but also signifies the death of Don's lie and how it goes to the grave with the only other person that knew the real Don Draper, so to speak. Overall, an excellent episode and truly one of the best hours of TV that I haven't seen in a long time.