Mad Men

Three Sundays

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 17, 2008 on AMC

• Peggy's family hosts dinner for the new priest.

4.1
    No excitement, no compelling dialogue, no comedy and nothing that makes me want to tune into next week's edition of Mad Men. It's a shame that this show, which might end up stealing the Emmy for Outstanding Drama this year, has turned into such utter rubbish.

I'm not going to go off on a tangent about how bad Jon Hamm was in this episode, because frankly his performance was acceptable. Not Golden Globe worthy, but acceptable. Elisabeth Moss on the other hand is completely undeserving of her role and distracts from the show. Her storylines almost seem like they would fit better on a different program. Vincent Kartheiser continues to be underutilized, which is a shame as he is a talented actor. "We got a lot of bricks, but I don't know what the building looks like." These are the kind of quotes Mad Men needs throughout the course of its hour run on AMC. Dialogue is crucial, without it who knows if Lost would be as popular or successful as it is now. The ridiculous dialogue of John Slattery, while I enjoy his acting, is not helping anybody.

There was a time when Mad Men was a top show on TV. Those days are long, long gone.
  • After a shaky start to the second season, this show is trying to get right on track again.

As much as the previous episode "The Benefactor" bored me, "Three Sundays" charmed me with its interesting and charming storylines. It had a feeling to it that much resembled that of the first season and that's what drew me in into this show in the first place. The concept of showing us three adjacent sundays of the character's lives was a nice one, especially since it made room to speed things up a bit and made us witness some kind of development going on.

Don's family struggles were handled better this time as they gained new depth by showing how their children fit in all this. Betty now knows a little piece of Don's past as well and I think that's only the start of what's going to find out later. I loved the end scene where the priest gave Betty an easter egg "for the little one". Nice touch.
  • Thematically strong, a slow-burn episode in which we gain a deeper introspect into Don's family life with questions still lingering. The American Airline build-up is perfection.

Thematically strong, a slow-burn episode in which we gain a deeper introspect into Don's family life with questions still lingering. The American Airline build-up is perfection. This episode contains multiple storylines including the Draper family, Roger's return to his true self, religion in the Olsen house, and Sterling-Coopers big push into the big leagues with American Airlines. Some may find this episode slow and pointless in parts, but it's very entertaining in a subtle way. This is one of my new favorite episodes not written by Creator Matthew Weiner. The last scene and more importantly the last gesture remains why I love Mad Men.