Mad Men

Three Sundays

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 17, 2008 on AMC

• Peggy's family hosts dinner for the new priest.

4.1
    No excitement, no compelling dialogue, no comedy and nothing that makes me want to tune into next week's edition of Mad Men. It's a shame that this show, which might end up stealing the Emmy for Outstanding Drama this year, has turned into such utter rubbish.

I'm not going to go off on a tangent about how bad Jon Hamm was in this episode, because frankly his performance was acceptable. Not Golden Globe worthy, but acceptable. Elisabeth Moss on the other hand is completely undeserving of her role and distracts from the show. Her storylines almost seem like they would fit better on a different program. Vincent Kartheiser continues to be underutilized, which is a shame as he is a talented actor. "We got a lot of bricks, but I don't know what the building looks like." These are the kind of quotes Mad Men needs throughout the course of its hour run on AMC. Dialogue is crucial, without it who knows if Lost would be as popular or successful as it is now. The ridiculous dialogue of John Slattery, while I enjoy his acting, is not helping anybody.

There was a time when Mad Men was a top show on TV. Those days are long, long gone.