MADtv Forums

FOX (ended 2009)

FOX pulls plug on "MADtv"

moluvr65

[1]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    earlier today it was confirmed that this will be MADtv's final season. FOX has cancelled the show
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mp34mp

[2]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 16
    I can't believe it. I thought the show was improving.

pitbull3

[3]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 41
    http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx/?news=339240>1=28103

The sketch comedy show will end its run after 14 seasons

By Michael Schneider
    Variety

Fox is closing the book on "MADtv" after 14 seasons.

The network confirmed Wednesday that the Saturday night sketch series, which had barely escaped cancellation in recent years, will end its run at the end of this season.

The news comes soon after Fox announced plans to end the run of another long-running comedy franchise, "King of the Hill." But like "King," which may potentially land a new home at ABC, the producers behind "MADtv" are also mulling ways to keep their show alive.

"There's been great interest in recent years," said exec producer David Salzman. "We've had a number of networks inquire as to whether the show was coming off Fox, and saying that they'd be interested. We have not started to talk to them yet, but now is the time to begin those conversations. I think we have real prospects, but you never know, especially given the economy."

According to Salzman, production on "MADtv," which received a shortened order this season, was set to wrap by December. Fox decided to inform the show now, rather than in May, of its decision in order to give producers a chance to end the series with a bang.

"This will give us a proper send off, a chance to promote the finale and bring back old cast members," Salzman said.

Fox told Salzman the decision to ax the show was an economic one.

"They said it was too expensive for a daypart where dollars have been shrinking," he said. "Their thought was, the show is what the show is, and that essence needs to be maintained - but it's hard to produce as big and ambitious a show as ours for less money than they're paying now."

In potentially shopping the show to other broadcast or cable outlets, Salzman said he'll look at ways to modify production and bring down costs. The sketch comedy show will end its run after 14 seasons

(...Story Continued from Previous Page)

Meanwhile, Comedy Central's deal to air reruns of "MADtv" expires at the end of the year. Salzman said he hoped to find a network that would be interested both in producing new episodes of "MADtv" and airing the show's 326-episode library.

QDE - a joint venture between Salzman and Quincy Jones - launched "MADtv" in 1995, utilizing Mad magazine's irreverent brand. The show, designed as a competitor to "Saturday Night Live," was created by Fax Bahr and Adam Small, who left after its third season.

John Crane, Salzman and Jones currently serve as exec producers.

"MADtv" made a name for itself with its pop culture parodies; alums include Nicole Sullivan ("Rita Rocks") and Frank Caliendo ("Frank TV").

Current cast includes Arden Myrin, Bobby Lee, Crista Flanagan, Keegan-Michael Key, Nicole Parker and Johnny Sanchez.

Fox will likely decide the fate of its other Saturday late night franchise, "Talkshow with Spike Feresten," in May. With "MADtv" history, that makes it more likely that Fox will stick with "Talkshow" - unless it develops other projects for the time slot.

"MADtv" is, by far, Fox's most successful foray into late night programming; after several tries in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the net hasn't attempted a return to the late weeknight landscape. (That could change next year, as NBC's "Tonight Show" transition opens the door to several shuffles.)

miss_wierd

[4]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 13
    Yeah I read that!!! I'm going to miss it. Sure it's not how it used to be but still I'm going to miss it.

WorkWorkWork

[5]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 9
    To be honest, I stopped watching years ago because it was becoming too repetitive/stupid. In other words, it started looking too much like Saturday Night Live.

KingofIPirates

[6]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 32
    Mad Tv had a goodrun, though throughout the final seasons the quality did suffer somewhat so I understand why they're finally pulling the plug.

tjoceasde

[7]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 18
    Maybe it's time. The show was at its peak when Will Sasso left, and hasn't been the same since.

xlovedust

[8]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 45
    Aww, darn. After Michael McDonald left, everyone else was less than mediocre. They've overused Bobby Lee and Johnny Sanchez is just annoying.

miss_wierd

[9]Nov 18, 2008

xlovedust wrote:
    Aww, darn. After Michael McDonald left, everyone else was less than mediocre. They've overused Bobby Lee and Johnny Sanchez is just annoying.

I don't think Bobby Lee is overused. He cracks me up and always love seeing him in a skit. Johnny Sanchez isn't the best.

cactusjack39

[10]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 30
    In my opinion, they've never been able to recover ever since, Aries Spears, Mo Collins, and Stephanie Weir left the cast. Ever since that time, Michael McDonald has had to carry the show for what it was worth. When he left, I think many fans left too.

JJBurns84_basic

[11]Nov 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    Yeah, it's time. I used to hate to miss an episode. Now I don't care if I see it more than once a month. The true spirit of the show left with Stephnie and Michael.

4EverGreen

[12]Nov 23, 2008
    • level: 43

Did you see last night's episode of "MADtv?" It's like they're not even TRYING to be funny anymore! (Of course, its hard to be funny when you KNOW you're show is getting cancelled.) But you'd think that the actors could actually PRETEND to care about the show and keep it floating with dignity in its final season. How "Saturday Night Live" could not get cancelled BEFORE "MADtv" got cancelled is beyond me, but at least "MADtv" is ending the show before it gets any lamer, because who wants to watch a lame comedy show when its no longer funny? Still, I'll miss all the good times "MADtv" gave us, but nothing lasts forever, and even good things must come to an end.

R.I.P. "MADtv" 1995-2009. You will be missed.

miss_wierd

[13]Dec 1, 2008

When is Madtv going to end? It was a repeat last saturday.

mp34mp

[14]Dec 25, 2008
    • level: 16
    miss_wierd wrote:

It's done, it's over. And the final episode was a clip show! What a horrible way to go out. They were planning on ending this season in December anyway, which is odd. The cancellation was the final ax. What a total lameduck season.

twinreg1

[15]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 6
    I thought they were airing repeats, like the other stations. The final ep is supposed to air in may '09. Right?!?!?!

tbys1980

[16]Dec 31, 2008
    • level: 15
    That's what they said. I think all the episodes have been shown except for the final episode. I also think the final episode should be 2 hours and everyone that's ever been on it should come back.

miss_wierd

[17]Jan 10, 2009
    mp34mp wrote:
    miss_wierd wrote:

It's done, it's over. And the final episode was a clip show! What a horrible way to go out. They were planning on ending this season in December anyway, which is odd. The cancellation was the final ax. What a total lameduck season.

This stinks!!!!

Tim_the_Cal

[18]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 4

They ended Madtv with a clipshow!? Why!

FOX was so impatiencent for this show to end its run

Edited on 01/24/2009 2:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

last_hurrah

[19]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 27
    For me, ever since they introduced that new stage format, it all went downhill from there...

Water78

[20]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 47
    so there isnt going to be anymore episodes now