MADtv Forums

FOX (ended 2009)

MADtv so much better then SNL

SNLRULES4EVER

[21]Jan 25, 2007
    • level: 4

tvlover89 wrote:
    I was just thinking on how much better MADtv is then Saturday Night Live, I mean it used to be the other way around that SNL was better. but for the last few seasons SNL has been taking a dive down hill but MADtv is funny like heck. anyone agree? Disagree?

As the biggest SNL fan around, I agree. This season SUCKS! the old SNL cast was WAY better. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crystaldragon18

[22]Feb 8, 2007
    • level: 15
    SNLRULES4EVER wrote:

tvlover89 wrote:
    I was just thinking on how much better MADtv is then Saturday Night Live, I mean it used to be the other way around that SNL was better. but for the last few seasons SNL has been taking a dive down hill but MADtv is funny like heck. anyone agree? Disagree?

As the biggest SNL fan around, I agree. This season SUCKS! the old SNL cast was WAY better. 

Omg I almost stopped watching SNL now that they changed the cast.

JJBurns84_basic

[23]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 8
    Madtv is hit and miss this season but seems better than the last season and a half. Yeah, it's better than SNL. I just wish they would show more Nicole and less Bobby Lee -- although Bobby's Hiro from Hereos impression was hysterical!

somethinghidden

[24]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    I love MADtv all the way!!! Even though some good members left the show and it's not as hilarious as it used to be, it's still WAY FUNNIER than that crap on SNL. However, that Bronx Brew thing that came on last week was kinda funny.

NathanRoth

[25]May 23, 2010
    • level: 16
    the last few seasons the show was shooting blanks the sketchs were less funny after miss swan left.

mrjimmyjames

[26]Mar 4, 2012
    • level: 7

For most of its run, SNL was superior but from the 03-04 season to the 05-06 season MADtv seemed to be the much hotter show. I remember noticing how much more buzz it got; everyone I knew was dismissing SNL and watching MADtv. During that period SNL was really bland; most of its cast had run out of steam, became dead weight, and needed to be replaced. Lorne (Michaels) didn't do this until 2006. SNL had become extremely soft, formulamatic, and no longer edgy. I consider this to be a dark age for SNL. MADtv during this time seemed to be hitting its stride. SNL couldn't even find anyone to impersonate anyone anymore; MADtv ran circles around them in this department. Also, the pop culture parodies were razor sharp. I usually tried to watch both and enjoyed MADtv better. It was never more obvious when both shows in the same night tried to spoof R. Kelly's trapped in the closet. MADtv was far superior with theirs. What was so ironic was that by 2008-2009 when SNL had a comeback due to sharp political sketches and new, fresh talent, MADtv had completely fallen off creatively and was cancelled due to its budget.

Unlike SNL, MADtv may have been a very uneven and crass show but boy when they got it right, they got it right. For every bad sketch there was a great impersonation, pop culture parody, or character like Stuart or Miss Swan.