MADtv Forums

FOX (ended 2009)

What the hell happened to MadTV?

drewmiami

[1]Feb 4, 2007
    • level: 2
    I have been a huge fan of the show for a long time and haven't missed an episode of it for the past 4 or 5 seasons. However, I have to say, something happened this season to the quality of the writing. Was there some major behind the scenes change? The show has honestly been godawful. There have been a few high points, but I find myself fast forwarding through 90% of the skits. The show has lost its edge. The cast is one of the strongest they have ever had, but they can only do so much with bad material. I'm afraid if it doesn't improve, this will be the last season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rurry

[2]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 18
    Wow, I disagree with you 100%. The past few seasons, actually, every single season since Nicole Sullivan left all the way back in Season 6, have been disappointing...especially the last 2 (10 and 11). However, Season 12 has brought MADtv back IMO. Every episode so far has been great. I'm really enjoying this season. Maybe the show has just grown old for you. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it will end.

BTW, MADtv's contract is until 2008.
    Edited on 02/05/2007 2:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

agent_0042

[3]Feb 7, 2007
    • level: 66
    I agree with Rurry, except that I haven't even tried watching the most recent season. I first discovered the series by watching early first-season episodes which I thought were ace. And then I saw some of the more recent stuff and thought it was garbage. If the quality has in fact improved this season, then it's worth another look. I think maybe I'll tune in this Saturday and see what I think.

Taft06

[4]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 7
    I also agree with Rurry to some extent.  Season 6 was their start of a downfall, but there was one season afterwards that was hilarious to me.  I forget which one though.  But... after Debra, Aries, Stephanie, Alex, Nicole S., Will, and Mo were no longer able to team up and do sketches TOGETHER... the show obvoiusly depended on them individually to carry the show.

mrquito

[5]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    I think this season is just fine......There have been alot of funny scenes with bobby lee, nicole parker, and of course michael mcdonald....

somethinghidden

[6]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    mrquito wrote:
    I think this season is just fine......There have been alot of funny scenes with bobby lee, nicole parker, and of course michael mcdonald....

I agree. I still love the show, but not ALL of the sketches do it for me. I still miss the days of Debra, Nicole, Aries, Mo and Stephnie. There's nothing wrong with the current season, I just miss those cast members.

somethinghidden

[7]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    Oh, and Alex...DUH!

4EverGreen

[8]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 43
    I have a related question to this question topic: Am I the only who thought the episode that had the star of "The Winner" in it, that the episode was more mean than funny? I'm just surprised that despite the stereotyping "MADtv" has about it being a bad show, I've almost never seen it churn out a sub-par episode until that one. Does anyone else agree with me?

Rurry

[9]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 18
    I really liked that episode, actually. It wasn't the best they've had this season, but it was funny.

Even so, there's been a lot of of episodes i've thought were blah. All shows have their bum episodes.

And I don't think anyone besides the die-hard SNL fans stereotype MADtv as being a bad show. A lot of people just don't know too much about it.
    Edited on 03/14/2007 1:14pm
    Edited 2 total times.

mandy618921

[10]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 6

I agree with Rurry. Ever since Nicole Sullivan left, the show sucked. And then after Debra Wilson, Mo Collins, and Alex Borstein(sp?) left it was completely awful.

The only thing i have to differ is i didn't like this past season. I watched some of the skits with Michael McDonald in them, but other than that, it pains me to watch.

Sorry to be so forward.