Magic City

Starz (ended 2013)

dhaworth

Magic City Fan Reviews (20)

7.9
  • Magic City

With so many dumb-a_s TV/Movies everything, it is a sad stement that supports my opinion this was canceled. Da_n it!
  • A Really Solid, Rivetting Show

It's just a crime that this was cancelled. Seeing the characters develop and the storm build around them was really interesting, and I was looking forward to seeing what was coming.
  • You must bring it back!

I agree that Vera pulling up at Stevie's place was unbelievable and I certainly hope if the show comes back she changes her mind and heads back where she belongs. Other than that, it's the best show I've watched in years - for sheer nail-biting drama. Ben Diamond (Danny Huston) is such a good villain - the guy you love to hate. Cancelling after 2 seasons?? Rocks in their heads! There is so much potential for more. They should sell it to Australian TV.
  • Yeah, I don't blame everybody...

5.5
    that was meh. It turned into a soapy soap, done and done.

The whole resolution was okay, but the last shot? Give me a freaking break.

ETA: sorry, it appears the last shot was of the lovely JDM drawing castles in the sand. I thought it was the squicky (and totally unbelievable) Vera going to Stevie's hotel room, where of course he went after trying to kill Ben, not thinking Ben would now hunt him down and slice and dice him and so he didn't get out of town, much like Ben would have had to do in Season 3 if there was one since Sy's frat boys would have done much the same s&d dance on his face.

Oh well, we'll never know. Too bad, it was decent mindless entertainment and did I mention how nice looking JDM is?
  • Bring it back!

My husband and I love this show! Please renew it!
  • Magic Sh*tty

Danny Huston is great in this show, but aside from him almost every other actor and actress seem to be involved in some secret inside-joke contest to see who can chew the most scenery. Jeffrey Dean Morgan must spend his time on set schooling everyone how to act using only one facial expression and body motion (look:angst/light a cigarette).
  • started out good

started out strong now its a dud

• who doesn't like the glamor of the late 50's

I found this entertaining and so true - my first visit to Miami was in 1959 and this was the way it was - the actors are very good and realistic - OMG - I am extremely jealous of these gals - wow - what figures -
  • Good show

Good show that hardly anyone ever seems to mention. Reminds me of Crime Story. Glad its returning.
  • Magic City Rocks

I really enjoyed watching season 1 yesterday on my DVR I taped it on starz channel 341.
  • Outstanding

OMG, how good is this show! What a gripping story line, I love it. Not seen a show with so much originality in a long time. I'm totally hooked.
  • Great potential, but...

I love that period (1950's), but.... Shallow story, extremely bad acting by Olga Kurylenko, bad dialogues...

Interesting review here

• winner series

The mood the scenery the plot, i am really enthusiastic with this series, the story is catchy with lots of real serious content to it, I am looking forward for next season!!
  • At last,something worth watching !

I was absolutely enchanted from the first episode,and thats saying a lot because I dont even like the much vaunted "Mad men"! But something about the writing drew me in.Perhaps it was the sexism and casual bigotry (that was the world I grew up in) that rang true,or the blend of sophistication and innocence,or the sets,or the gorgeous clothes,or the handsome men and gorgeous women,but I am hooked! It constantly annoys me how people want to act like the past never happened,that women werent subjugated or that racism was very much alive well into the 70s,you can sanitize the past but you cant erase it.I LOVE that the show accurately portrays a time and place long gone,and portrays the people of that era as flawed but oh so human.Such as Ike's dreams show a tormented man driven by ambition,but essentially not a bad person.I hope starz doesnt pull a network move and gives this show time to mature and ripen.
  • WOW - Why Hadn't I Heard About This Before?

I just watched the first seven episodes of Magic City and WOW! What an amazing show. It's Mad Men meets a better version of Boardwalk Empire. FAB-U-LOUS! Why hadn't I head of this show before now? This would be one of the highest rated shows if only it was better advertised. This should definitely re-run this summer to gain more audience for the second season. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW!!!
  • Magic City- circa 2012 not 1958!

My first opportunity to watch Episode One of Starz' Magic City left me fidgeting listlessly ten minutes in. I so badly wanted to like this new program being not only a huge fan of that era but absolutely appreciating everything about AMC"s Mad Men.

My instant disappointment visually was; although the automobiles were genuinely correct and shiny, hotel the correct model of that era; the hairstyles of all the main characters were a mixed up mess of everything from mid-forties long wavy for women, to current long/straight hair with all the men having a typical 2012 short modern cut.The stylists on the series should have known that men did not wear sideburns in 1958 (check with MM stylist who get it right with every actor on set each week). The clothes although glamorous were not of the series era. Although the styles were somewhat correct, the fabrics and cuts were not. All the men suits were too long in the jacket, too full and long in the pant.In '58 slacks were tapered,fitted and above the shoe. Dress shirts were always fitted, white, small collar, narrow tie, with white pocket 'hanky'. The ladies underwear were even wrong era. Again circa '12. Underwear was cone shaped brasserie(not bra) fully to the waist panties and not one woman was wearing a full or half slip when ladies always wore a slip even with an evening gown. I can't explain it but it is as if no one wanted to commit to a new haircuts,proper wardrobes,etc for this series thinking it would be over shortly.

The writers. Phrases like 'that's just wrong" when told of the drowning dog, is again present day 'lingo'. I found the writing consistently weak throughout to the point of boredom. There was not a smooth transition from one scene to another. I failed to discover a pinch of fluidity throughout. Perhaps the reasoning being every scene seemed to implode on the other.

Correct political climate was also inaccurate as it showed an Africian American family having checked in to the hotel on the way to their rooms. That was unfortunately still not permitted in Florida, 54 years ago..

By the time it came to Frank Sinatra's New Years Eve; I, sadly did not feel like I was was transported back to' 58 in any way. The particular nightclub itself in no way had enough extra actors appearing to make it look like a major star gala NYE"58. One of which President and First Lady Kennedy would have attended. It gave the illusion that there were only 20 people in the entire room. No laughing,hollering,party whistles. Only a weak attempt of depicting a smoky 1930-40's speak easy overshadowed by a very thin,long maned brunette (from the future/2012) walking in after a tyrst on the beach with the owners son.

I truly was anticipating loving this new series, however, thinking back to the trailer I am reminded that not once watching it did I feel swept back in to that polished,platinum,ever changing decade.

I sincerely would have loved another series bringing us back so much about the 50-60's that is making a re-surgence in clothing,furnishings,attitude thanks to Mad Men's remarkable detail for everything authentic television- aka magnif-ivison!!
  • A good nostalgic-mob drama, but don't be surprised if you have seen it before.

As most television enthusiasts know, the crime and drama genre for a TV series have been becoming more and more popular and common lately; which isn't a surprise that the Starz channel would try its hand in the mafia circuit. As most dramas are nowadays, such as HBO's Boardwalk Empire and AMC's Mad Men, the main product of success is the nostalgia setting, which in this case is the early 60's starting off on New Year's Eve, 1959. The show takes place in Miami in the fictional Miramar Playa Hotel and revolves around the luxury hotel owner named Ike Evans, played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Watchmen, The Losers) his two boys; the trouble making bad boy Stevie and his college bound son Danny; along with his tween daughter and his new young trophy wife Vera played by Olga Kurylenko (Hitman, Quantum of Solace) whom all fight to make their hotel the most luxurious and successful resort in Miami. Now the show wouldn't be called a crime drama if it didn't include at least a mobster or two, and in this case it's Danny Huston playing the ruthless, sociopathic mobster from Chicago, Ben Diamond who helped fund Ike's hotel in return to own half of the estate. However as in every mob storyline, if the mob does a favor for you it usually comes to bite you in the ass. Amidst the luxury there is of course scandals which include forbidden love affairs, psychopaths, murder, violent labor unions, gambling and racketeering , and in the backdrop of the series, the Cuban Castro regime change that occurs the very night of the premier episode. Beyond the beautiful nostalgic back drop and the great acting talent, lies a somewhat familiar plot formula that many crime drama fans have seen before. In retrospect it's a good way to kick off a somewhat promising series, but if the show wants to live up to the successes of Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire, they need to find something new and edgy that the mob can provide in the 1960's Miami, Florida.
  • a Beautiful picture of an interesting time with lots of room to grow!

A great TV show is like a gourmet meal or a good book. You don't start with the dessert! You start with a teaser, a light bite that hints at what's to come. And that's what the pilot of Magic City does. It introduces us to some of the characters and to the hotel, which make no mistake, is going to be a central character in this show. It's a beautiful setting in which to tell a story that promises to be both romantic and violent, just like the year in which the first episodes are set. Kennedy is about to be President, and Cuba is about to fall. Gangsters control much of Miami, just as they do in Las Vegas and Chicago and New York. But in this time of unrest there is also Frank Sinatra crooning his tunes. There is sun and fun. There are bellboys and housemaids but also rich trophy wives in their furs and jewelry. And there is the Miramar Hotel. It is the fantasy. It is at the heart of everything, where the rich and famous come to relax, and where the driven owner and his sons will do anything, and I mean anything, to keep the party going.

While the pilot is not heavy on plot, it does set up the central conflicts, or at least some of them. The Miramar is partly funded by mob money, and the mobster with the wallet wants more control. Meanwhile his new and much younger wife has an eye on the Miramar's Prince Regent, the owners playboy son. Meanwhile his other son is courting the maid. Plenty of potential there. Throw in a union threatening to stop the flow of liquor. A workforce whose families are all trapped in a country in the throes of revolution. And a great leading man with charisma that just lights up the screen. The Miramar is his baby. His paradise. A gleaming new marvel of glass and brass and all the brightest most modern conveniences of the day. Perfumed air is pumped into the lobby 24 hours a day!

I know there has been a question about women possibly being offended by the show. I don't know. There is certainly quite a bit of nudity. Though I personally didn't find it overt or out of place. And so far the women in the story aren't what would be considered good role models by today's standards, though I suspect that is going to change. Still, for all the great looking women in the cast, there is lots to keeps the ladies interested too, I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

I just think it is a fascinating time in our recent history, and yet a time that really hasn't been shown that often on TV. It's a time with plenty of conflict, with war on the way and a President soon to be slain, with human rights and women's rights about to take center stage. I'm sure that these are not the central stories that these producers are hoping to tell. But I think they will make great peripheral ideas that help to drive the main characters.

The first episode blew me away almost for the same reasons that many are complaining about. Instead of a lot of story telling right off the top, this show starts by painting us a picture. A backdrop if you will. A stage on which to tell the tale. And that stage is beautiful. I loved the set design, the costumes, the dialog, even the smoking. In those days everybody smoked. Which brings me I guess to my final point. Everybody is comparing this show to Mad Men, and many are using that other very well crafted show to throw pot shots at Magic City. I think it's impossible to ignore the similarities in the two shows. They're both set in the same time period. Both have a real eye for authenticity. But I don't think it's fair to offer up a show in it's fifth season and say that a show with one episode under it's belt doesn't hold up! Lets see what you have to say after 48 episodes or more of Magic City. I think a more fitting comparison is probably Boardwalk Empire. While not a contemporary historically, the shows share more in common. Both are about a specific PLACE at a specific time, and the problems faced by the men who are trying to take charge of their empires. And I think that the Miramar is going to be just a great place to have a holiday! I hope it's with us for many seasons!
  • Not another mad men!! Magic city not so magic

Simply put ..it stinks. What a dissapointment! No plot ..not writing. Could not tell one character from the next. Jeff Morgan is the only good part. He owns a hotel in Miami(I grew up in Miami)

And spends his days dealing with a psychotic mafia guy who is very busy shooting dogs and playing with his spinning pool chair.The dialogue is bad and the writing seems to have been done by a high school kid which is okay because the director seems to go to the same high school. Jeff Morgan plays a hotel owner who has a silent partner..the mafia guy. Unlike any mafia guy in history this guys tries to be noticed by supposedly killing two previuos wives so of course it makes perfect sense for one of jeff Morgans two sons to jump in bed with mafia guys doomed NEW wife. ALL the while we have a bas mitzvah along with a union strike(mafia guy kills union boss) and dead dogs all over the place. Disjointed you say? Duh! Yeah. BAD show ..waste of time. Good setting..decent cast but they all look alike....fire the director and try again
  • No reason to keep Starz!

Ugghh, another plodding, self-absorbed Starz! drama in the spirit of Camelot and BOSS. I had high hopes for Magic City, but it did not deliver. I was surprised to catch the first episode after Spartacus since I'd heard so little about it, but the little I'd heard caught my eye. Visually the show is almost on par with the period shows it's trying to mimic, but the acting is stiff (and I love Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and uninspired and the plot drags. Congrats to Starz! who somehow managed to make one of the coolest times in our country's history, so painfully uncool. I'm paying close to $15 a month for Starz! right now, and this show definitely doesn't give me a reason to keep it. Especially not with all the other great programming (Game of Thrones, Mad Men, House of Lies) on other channels.