Magnum, P.I.

A Little Bit of Luck, A Little Bit of Grief

Aired Unknown Apr 03, 1986 on CBS

7.7
  • As T.C. and Magnum try to prevent the demolition of T.C.'s youth club-house by a slimy land developer, Rick becomes a millionaire after winning the mainland lottery – but gets mixed up with some card shark con artists. Not a very likable episode

This review contains spoilers.

This episode, to me, has 'filler' written all over it, to meet the season's required episode count. It just feels like it was thrown together late in the season, and has little to really like about it, in my opinion.

The strangest thing for me about this episode is the appearance of Bruce Forsyth, well known to Brits (such as me) as an entertainer with a career stretching back to the 1950s. We'd already seen several familiar British faces in the England-set 'Deja Vu' at the start of the season, but seeing Forsyth here feels really odd.

I don't really care for the plot of this one much at all. It is very slow in places, and for the most part not very interesting. In fact, for most of the episode, it felt like an episode from the far inferior fifth season.

I think the main thrust of the plot was intended to be that Rick was too busy wrapped up in his new found wealth to help his friends Magnum and T.C. out, but it just comes off as an unfocused mish-mash. I find the idea to not be very well realised, and for the whole it just doesn't work.

And beyond that, I just didn't find Rick becoming a millionaire very convincing at all. So much more could have been done with it, even on a limited budget.

The best bit about this shaky episode is the Casablanca-style final scene, with Rick saying goodbye to Jeannie, but sadly it is not as good as it might have been, as the rest of the episode building up to it has been rather sub par.

All-in-all, not a particularly good episode at all. 'This Island Isn't Big Enough...' probably gets my vote for weakest episode of the season, but even so, 'A Little Bit of Luck...' is pretty poor.
  • Rick becomes an instant millionaire by winning a mainland lottery. Magnum and T.C. work to save T.C.'s clubhouse for troubled youth from being demolished.

Though "A Little Bit of Luck, a Little Bit of Grief" is not necessarily painful to watch, it lacks the sparkle of a typical Magnum episode. Introducing two separate storylines which occasionally cross paths, the episode does not have the direction to advance either of the plots very well. Rick's quick rise to wealth, his hasty engagement, and pathetic downfall is phony and unconvincing. Magnum and T.C.'s fight to save the clubhouse, on the other hand, is a worthwhile plot with action, humor, and intrigue: it just gets interrupted too much by Rick's problems, and, after they wind up in jail for a third time, a little old. Not really a great episode, and serves only to erode the likability of Rick's character, despite the fact that he is more or less the "star" of the episode.