Magnum, P.I.

Deja Vu (Part II)

Aired Unknown Sep 26, 1985 on CBS

• Thomas and Penelope get close to each other as they investigate Geoffrey's mysterious death, but there are unexpected twists in the case. Meanwhile, Higgins can't find the courage to visit his estranged father. A good conclusion to the story...

This review contains spoilers.

This reasonable feature-length / two-parter continues, and as I said in my review of Part I, it is a special episode to me personally, as I only live a few miles away from London.

After a decent but awkwardly paced first half, things really find their footing in Part II, and although the story isn't perfect (I feel there may have been a few missed opportunities), none the less I found it an engaging and likable watch.

I still wasn't sure about Francesca Annis playing Penelope â€" I just couldn't warm to her. Also, I felt the romance between Magnum and herself was a little forced and unnecessary. I got the whole plot element that Magnum was effectively taking Geoffrey (her deceased husband)'s place, but even so, I felt it was a bit awkwardly done. Magnum and Penelope presumably sleep together (he spends the night at her house, if nothing else), and bearing in mind that her husband and Magnum's great friend had only been killed a few hours previously, I didn't feel that this aspect of the story sat well at all.

But other than that, I enjoyed this second half of the story. Magnum's prophetic dream was interesting, and something that, by this stage of the series (and bearing in mind other seemingly telepathic stories, such as season four's classic 'Home From the Sea') we as the audience had learnt to accept.

Of note is the voice of Robin Masters in this episode â€" instead of traditionally being voiced by the great Orson Welles, as the character had been on all other 'appearances', on this occasion Robin is voiced by a different actor, Red Crandall. Robin would be heard in the series one more time, later in the season in 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen', where he would be voiced by an uncredited actor.

The only thing that lets this story down in my opinion is the climatic revelations about Geoffrey being a hit man. On first viewing, I found the explanations very hard to follow, and it was only several viewings later that I began to piece it together. I found that the script in this section of the story let it down and could have been much clearer.

But I do like the final scene, where Higgins is finally reunited by his estranged father (also played by John Hillerman). It is a nice scene to round off a decent story.

On the whole, this is a nice feature-length / two-parter. It is more engaging than most of the previous season's episodes, and being set close to where I live, stands as a very special episode to me personally.
COZI