Magnum, P.I.

Don't Say Goodbye

Aired Unknown Mar 26, 1981 on CBS

• When wealthy, blind grandmother Agatha is threatened by blackmail and a series of "accidents," Magnum discovers a surprise false identity while running down the bad guy.

This episode with a "feminine side" shows that family ties based on love are thicker than blood. It unravels the relatonship between a grandmother and granddaughter. Magnum and the rest of us know pretty early who the bad guy is. The mystery is granddaughter Amy's real identity. It's fun to sort out her intentions as clues point to her as the blackmailer of wealthy, blind grandmother Agatha. While her decisions were not always the best, she finally proves her genuine, loving relationship with Agatha. Andrea Marcovicci (Amy Crane) is wholesome but sexy. She's a big contrast to another suspicious granddaughter -- remember Gretchen Corbett's character (Christine Richards)in "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club?" Ted Danson is creepy from start to watery finish as husband Stewart Crane. Mercedes McCambridge (Agatha Kimball)is a little stiff but still sympathetic. The recurring Higgins, TC, and Rick characters are cool and familiar. Higgins as usual suspects Magnum when Robin's phone appears disconnected. In yet another give-and-take scene, he grudgingly apologizes when we find out the Lads chewed the wires. Magnum hands off a not-hottie blind date to Rick. But the girl's gorgeous sister takes her place at the last minute, leaving Magnum a hero. I usually prefer the Navy/spy/adventure episodes, but this relationship one was both different and fun.