Magnum, P.I.

Forty

Aired Unknown Feb 11, 1987 on CBS

• Magnum is in Chinatown with Rick and T.C. to celebrate his forthcoming fortieth birthday, when he by chance meets a beautiful woman, whom he quickly falls in love with – but she is entwined with the protection racket he's hired to break. Not bad...

This review contains spoilers.

Aging and maturing, and facing up to ones responsibilities, is a recurring theme through the run of 'Magnum, p.i.', even from the very earliest episodes, but season seven in particular seems to concentrate on this (for one prime example, see the previous episode, 'Solo Flight'). Here, Magnum prepares for his fortieth birthday, and once again tackles the issue of getting older.

As with a number of other episodes, Magnum's exact date (and age of birth) is contradicted, but to me it didn't stand out enough as to spoil the story.

Patrice Martinez puts in a pretty good performance as Linda Lee Ellison, the woman who Magnum quickly falls in love with (almost, I have to say, to stalker-ish levels!). I wouldn't say her performance is on the same level as say, Marta DuBois (Magnum's long-lost wife Michelle), but Martinez is good enough for what the episode requires.

One actor I do particularly like in this episode is James Hong (as Han Quing). A distinguished Asian-American actor Hong has been a guest role performer for many years (he's still going at time of writing) and did the typical guest part rounds in the 1980s ('The Dukes of Hazzard', 'T.J. Hooker', 'The A-Team', 'Airwolf', etc.). It is great that he finally gets showcased in a MPI episode, and I really like his character here – it's just a shame that he wasn't given more to do, or bought back for another story.

Anyway, the plot itself... it is typical of many later episodes in that most of it is very more drama-driven that stories from the earlier seasons. I confess that when I first saw this episode, many years ago now, I wasn't too enamoured with it, but re-watching it now I am older, I actually like it quite a bit more than I did originally. Maybe in keeping with the maturing theme of this episode, my viewing habits themselves have indeed matured.

Hawaiian Chinatown is also featured well in this episode, complete with night-time carnival parade. It is the scenery and settings which add a lot to MPI's appeal, even all these years later.

Although far from one of my all-time favourites from the show's run, I'll admit that this one is better than I remembered it.
    And it's not the last time we see Linda – as the threads are sown to begin to tie up the series, she returns in the show's finale, 'Resolutions', next season.
ENCRC