Magnum, P.I. Forums

CBS (ended 1988)

Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii

robburne

[1]May 16, 2007
    • level: 1
    Hi,

I am new to Magnum P.I - I just bought the first series on DVD and after watching the pilot show "Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii" I have a question regarding the plot.

Towards the end of Part 2 when Magnum has broken into the naval offices we learn that Dan Cook was on a mission to investigate an aircraft wreckage from World War Two that had recently had been discovered. The officer investigating the wreckage is Captain Cooly.

Now from what I understand the plane contained gold and was on a secret government mission. Cooly put word out that there was nothing to salvage from the wreck and therefore I presume he intended to steal the gold cargo - so was he the smuggler that Snow White refers to in the club?

Therefore presumably Dan Cook was killed because he would uncover the truth when he checked the war records in Japan. So was he killed enable Cooly's story to hold tight? Magnum says la Bulle killed Dan, but why?

What does La Bulle have to do with any of this? We learn that La Bulle is aka Phillipe from the teams days back in Nam but what does he have to do with the gold - was he the intended buyer and if so why would he want to kill Dan?

Any clarification would really be appreciated. I loved watching the odd episode back in the 80's but I am now really looking forward to getting through the entire set collection!

Many thanks,

Rob.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scifinut99

[2]May 17, 2007
    • level: 15
    snow is another word used for cocaine and the pilot that died was one of magnum closest friends and diddnt belivehe was dealling coke

Since60

[3]May 22, 2007
    I'm assuming Le Bulle was the smuggler and Cooly somehow became involved when NIS was called in to investigate the plane. Perhaps the two had some connection from way back that facilitated their dealings. You'll find that some of the story lines rely heavily on things that have presumably taken place before the start of the series. It's probably asking a lot for a weekly TV series to tie up all the loose ends.

I will say the show only gets better as it develops and hits its stride in years 3 thru 7.

Diogo22

[4]May 22, 2007
    • level: 15

having rewatched the 2 part pilot there are a couple of things that still amaze me got past network censors

- having a 19 year old girl be one of the biggest drug smugglers on the island (who married at 11 btw)

-the treatment of vietnam and the FX were pretty well done (for 1980 anyway)

-the use of guns in a non cartoony away (for the most part, like they did on the A-team, which wasn't the least bit believable)

. not fearing showing people dead, instead of just saying they were, like they did most times on another shows 

eastvangirl

[5]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 3
    they played out the last show of season 8 out of washington state (KVOS), then they replaced it with Quincy reruns...UGH! i wanted to watch magnum from the beginning!! guess i'll have to rent season one.

michaeljlogin

[6]Sep 1, 2008

michaeljlogin

[7]Sep 1, 2008
    SNOW IN HAWAII that is the pilot episode. like you said..(the original person that started this text post) ok, well I guess that Labuel was hired by Coolie..? so Coolie was going to get the gold, and Labuel was working for Coolie. But we saw labuel on the boat, remember? when magnum and tc flew in the chopper.

michaeljlogin

[8]Sep 1, 2008

robburne wrote:
    Hi,

I am new to Magnum P.I - I just bought the first series on DVD and after watching the pilot show "Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii" I have a question regarding the plot.

Towards the end of Part 2 when Magnum has broken into the naval offices we learn that Dan Cook was on a mission to investigate an aircraft wreckage from World War Two that had recently had been discovered. The officer investigating the wreckage is Captain Cooly.

Now from what I understand the plane contained gold and was on a secret government mission. Cooly put word out that there was nothing to salvage from the wreck and therefore I presume he intended to steal the gold cargo - so was he the smuggler that Snow White refers to in the club?

Therefore presumably Dan Cook was killed because he would uncover the truth when he checked the war records in Japan. So was he killed enable Cooly's story to hold tight? Magnum says la Bulle killed Dan, but why?

What does La Bulle have to do with any of this? We learn that La Bulle is aka Phillipe from the teams days back in Nam but what does he have to do with the gold - was he the intended buyer and if so why would he want to kill Dan?

Any clarification would really be appreciated. I loved watching the odd episode back in the 80's but I am now really looking forward to getting through the entire set collection!

Many thanks,

Rob.

SNOW IN HAWAII

that is the pilot episode.like you said..(the original person that started this text post)ok, well I guess that Labuel was hired by Coolie..?so Coolie was going to get the gold, and Labuel was working for Coolie. But we saw labuel on the boat, remember? when magnum and tc flew in the chopper. ok so for those of you that dont know what the *** I am talking about, this is the story that is...the pilot episode, of magnum, p.i. it was so long that it was cut into two parts, like we said, so, I suppose that Coolie hired labuel to be like a strongman or hitman, labuel did not know it was dan, his war time buddy, until it was too late, so that was a coinsidence. magnum was friends with dan, and got real mad, and I suppose paid Labuel back for being a terrible guy that does bad things like deal drugs and work with coolie, (a real **** and so magnum got labuel, in that scene at teh end where he shot him he was also protecting his own life, in that scene, which makes it justified, and righteous. Labuel got him by surprise and attacked with a gun, shot magnum, and magnum shot back, but magnum, did have a gun pointed at him, or did he............hmm. ok I will have to look at that again, anyway,,,, labuel must have worked for Coolie.

michaeljlogin

[9]Sep 1, 2008
    -so, I suppose that Coolie hired labuel to be like a strongman or hitman, -labuel did not know it was dan, his war time buddy, until it was too late, so that was a coincidence. -magnum was friends with dan, and got real mad, and I suppose paid Labuel back for being a terrible guy that does bad things like deal drugs and work with coolie, (a real s.o.b. the way he talked to magnum earlier about not caring about dan at all... and so magnum got labuel, in that scene at the end where he shot him. -he (mag) was also protecting his own life, in that scene, which makes it justified, and righteous. -Labuel got him by surprise and attacked with a gun, shot magnum, and magnum shot back

michaeljlogin

[10]Sep 1, 2008
    so, I suppose that Coolie hired labuel to be like a strongman or hitman, labuel did not know it was dan, his war time buddy, until it was too late, so that was a coincidence. magnum was friends with dan, and got real mad, and I suppose paid Labuel back for being a terrible guy that does bad things like deal drugs and work with coolie, (a real s.o.b. the way he talked to magnum earlier about not caring about dan at all... and so magnum got labuel, in that scene at the end where he shot him. he (mag) was also protecting his own life, in that scene, which makes it justified, and righteous. Labuel got him by surprise and attacked with a gun, shot magnum, and magnum shot back[/QUOTE]