Magnum, P.I.

Holmes Is Where the Heart Is

Aired Unknown Mar 08, 1984 on CBS

• Higgins recalls an event in 1976, when at the funeral of a comrade, an old friend, David Worth, suddenly reappeared. David seemed to be suffering shell-shock, beliving that he was Sherlock Holmes, and that Moriarty was close at hand. A wonderful episode..

This review contains spoilers.

This is the third of three 'Magnum-lite' episodes of the season (the other two being 'Smaller Than Life' and 'A Sense of Debt'), and it is by far the best of the three of them (the final episode of the season, 'I Witness', also features less Magnum than usual).
    The opening trailer is quite funny, in that is shows virtually all of the Magnum moments from the story, almost like "Magnum's still in it, keep watching, folks!".

It's strange, in 'Smaller Than Life' and 'A Sense of Debt', part of me was irked wondering where Magnum was, but with 'Holmes Is Where the Heart Is', it didn't occur to me once, thanks to Higgins being such a strong character, and such a great guest star...

...Which leads me on to Patrick Macnee. I am a big fan of the classic British series 'The Avengers' (especially as I'm a Brit myself), and it is great to see him in this episode. Surprisingly, he doesn't get Special Guest Star billing, being credited as just a regular Guest Star. Either way, he really brings the role of the troubled David Worth to life, and I found myself really caring about what became of him.

One thing I really like is the nice changes to the study and guest house décor in the 1976 setting. We also get to see that before the Audi, Robin 2 was a Jaguar (which I personally prefer). Oh yes, and we see Gillian Dobb as Agatha in a terrible wig trying to make her look eight years younger, but the less said about that the better.

The story is a charming one, and John Hillerman and Macnee work really well together. It also shows what a caring character Higgins is, as he really worries about his troubled friend. The scenes in-between Higgins' recollections, of Magnum desperately trying to find out what Higgins is so tied up with, aren't really necessary – but this is his show, I suppose, so he has to be in the episode somewhere!

The ending, when it is revealed that David has recently died, is very bittersweet, and perfectly played by Hillerman.

All-in-all, this is one of my favourite episodes from the seasons, and probably my all-time favourite Magnum-lite story.