Magnum, P.I.

I Witness

Aired Unknown May 03, 1984 on CBS

• Three perspectives

Magnum does Rashamon, basically like in that film an incident has occured and at least three witnesses know what happened and unfortunately all three of them Higgins, Rick, and T.C. all are not completely honest about it. Magnum despite not wanted to miss the ball game (I don't blame him there are times when I don't want to miss the next episode of Battlestar Galactica)has to figure it out. It's funny and thought provoking (I have to warn you it's one you got to pay attention to or your going to miss something) because like Magnum we know their all telling the truth but their leaving a lot of information out which blocks us from seeing it completely.

It's funny how all three of them make themselves seem strong and the others weak. All of them had that common desire to do something heroic while in that crisis but it's obvious they all didn't. In each perspective we compare and contrast from the smallest things like piano playing or even setting, as well as the main characters in it and what they all do. Higgins, Rick, and T.C. make themselves into rather cleched heroes. T.C. as some common noir hero, Rick a tough guy from almost a 70's film, and Higgins well still himself but a martial arts master. All of them make themselves big but ridiculous at the same time, we don't really bealieve in them actually doing those things but that's the point because fiction can be more fun than fact.

In a way also it shows what the nature of the truth is, how unreliable witness testimony and remmembering can be, but are different perspeictives on how we perceive the truth.