Magnum, P.I.

Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts

Aired Unknown Oct 07, 1987 on CBS

• Magnum's mother arrives to be at her son's side as he lays comatose. But at the point of death, Magnum makes a miraculous recovery – but while recovering from the trauma, finds there is an old score to settle. Thank goodness they brought him back!...

This review contains spoilers.

After the outcry from fans about Magnum being killed off in 'Limbo' at the end of season seven, and feeling that there was mileage for a few more stories, the producers of MPI thankfully renewed the show for an eighth, final season.

The trouble is, with killing off Magnum when they expected it to be the end of the show, the producers and writers had somewhat painted themselves into a corner. They did get inkling that the show might be renewed halfway through filming 'Limbo', and re-edited some scenes accordingly, but even so, if they had known that Magnum would be back earlier, they would probably have woven more threads that would be tied up with his return.
    I'm not complaining about the story – it holds up perfectly well, but it just feels like the best they could do with awkward situation.

Whereas most MPI episodes can be watched 'stand alone', this story pretty much depends on seeing 'Limbo' before it (which in turn is greatly helped if the viewer has seen the previous Michelle-connected episodes).

The story is passable, and the writing and acting are certainly there (although I did feel that Larry Manetti overacted at a couple of points), but as I say, I just think they were making the best of an awkward premise. The bulk of the plot is passable, but there are also definite points where it dips (particularly in the middle), and feels a bit contrived.

But there are still some nice touches – one of my favourites a small but good moment is Higgins when, after seeing that Magnum has awoken from his come, runs excitedly down the hospital corridor to tell the others, beaming from ear to ear, before regaining his composure and entering the room in his typical reserved manner.

The seeds are also beginning to be sown for the wrap-up of the series – for example, T.C. speaks on the phone to ex-wife Tina, reminding viewers that T.C. has children from his failed marriage, which will be bought into play more as the season progresses.

'Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts' isn't really one of my favourite episodes, but I think they made the best of a tricky situation, and it could have been pulled off far worse. Either way, I'm just glad that they brought Magnum back!
ENCRC