Magnum, P.I.

L.A.

Aired Unknown Oct 01, 1986 on CBS

7.2
  • Tom is still shaking his head...

We hardcore fans loved the two-parters, the writers of the show always did a great job of making them "epic", over-the-top dramatic turns with some important tie-in or the this was a failure on every front save for two was in it and Dana Delaney was in it and their chemistry was good considering the awful writing. I don't like to include spoilers, even with the customary it to say they even ruined the way they tied up their affair. Any hack writer can make a scene like that romantic. My review score is what I gave it because even bad Magnum is good for us fans, but it didn't deserve the 6. Watch it anyway, we only had 8 years of this fantastic show that could have gone on for 5 more.
  • Guest star

My favorite guest star:

Dana Delany
  • Magnum is in Los Angeles to issue a subpoena to a film company, but the young comedienne who befriends him is murdered. Meanwhile, a member of T.C.'s youth baseball team is in great danger. The weakest of the show's feature-length eps...

This review contains spoilers.

It is often said that 'Magnum, p.i.' picked up and found its feet again in its seventh season. And while this is true in many ways, there is still the odd dud offering – and this story ranks as by far the weakest of the show's feature-length / two-parters.

All of the show's other two-hour episodes are generally very strong and memorable (I in particularly like the second season's 'Memories Are Forever' and season three's 'Did You See The Sunrise?'), but in the case of 'L.A.', I find the story to be with very little charm or warmth. Saying that, coming to re-watch it to review, I find it marginally better than I did first time around.

Marti, the young comedienne that befriends Magnum at the start of the story, is about as funny as toothache. Although it sounds a terribly callous thing to say, thankfully she is killed soon after – I was worried was worried we'd have to endure her for the whole story!

Probably the strongest point about this story is Dana Delany, who has a great on-screen spark with Tom Selleck. She is not one of my favourite guest stars from the show by any means, but is the only thing that is of any merit about this overall poor tale.

Meanwhile, T.C., Rick and Higgins have their own separate plot back in Hawaii, involving a young member of T.C.'s baseball team whose chop shop friends have been blown away by thugs. I found this story in particular to be without much interest or flair.
    The only point of note here is that the young teen is played by Alfonso Ribeiro, who would go on to co-star in the 1990s sitcom 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'.

Without wanting to single one particular person out, this episode is written by one of the producers, Chris Abbott-Fish. She always seemed to want to take the show away from its roots as a drama-comedy-adventure series, into more straight dramas, and this one very much sums that up for me; it is quite a long way away from the MPI we knew in early seasons.

And after all this, I still have Part II to sit though. Oh no...