Magnum, P.I.

Aired Unknown Feb 21, 1985 on CBS

• Guest star

My favorite guest star:

Dennis Weaver
  • Thomas is hired by a talented musician to track down five unpublished songs penned by legendary country star George Lee Jessop shortly before he was killed. But the woman that the songs were written for denies ever knowing him. Great guest star, dull plot

'Let Me Hear the Music' (original working title: 'Secret Rainbows', later 'I Want To Hold You') is an episode that part of me really wants to like, but I just can’t warm to it due to such a dull and unengaging plot.

Dennis Weaver, playing musician Lacy Fletcher, is a great guest star, and for this alone I want to like the episode. Weaver is immensely likable, and it is such a shame that he didn't get a stronger story to appear in. He also plays the guitar and fiddle in this episode, as well as writing two of the three songs featured.

The story begins with a flashback to the 1950s, with George Lee Jessop and Lacy Fletcher performing on the evening shortly before George was killed in an aeroplane crash. In this sequence, Lacy (Weaver) is played by Weaver's son Rusty Weaver, and the young George by another son, Robby (the same device of using actors' offspring to play younger versions of themselves was previously used in the enjoyable first season episode 'Lest We Forget'). Also to note for trivia fans, is that yet another of Weaver's sons, Rick Weaver, was a producer for the series through most of its run.

Anyway, as I say, I find the plot itself to be extremely weak. I just couldn't warm to what was going on, and my attention wandered from the plot at some points.
    The fight at the peak of episode, between Weaver and Desmond Crane, is very unconvincing, and doesn’t work at all.

The only thing I do like about this episode is Lacy's unending loyalty to his old deceased friend George, which is handled in the final scene very well. If only the rest of the story had more of this warmth, maybe I would have liked it a bit more.

For me, this episode sums up how many feel the series changed its tone somewhat in the fifth season, lacking its well-written and well-balanced qualities of earlier seasons, instead going for more out-and-out, take-it-or-leave it dramas such as this.

All-in-all... this one of my least favourite episodes, I'm afraid. There are others that are more ridiculous, but this one loses a lot of marks for just being so darn boring. Dennis Weaver is the best thing about him and, as I say above, its such a shame that he didn't get a stronger story to showcase his talents in.