Magnum, P.I.

Memories Are Forever

Aired Unknown Nov 05, 1981 on CBS

• Working on a routine case, Magnum catches sight of the woman that he is sure he married during the Vietnam War, and who he believed to have been killed in a bombing raid. As he searches for her, he walks into a political minefield. A key story of the show

This review covers the first half of the episode, as shown in two-part format.

Well, where to begin... the feature-length / two-part 'Memories Are Forever' is a key 'Magnum, p.i' story, and in many ways, after the show's early establishing episodes, the one that set the pace for much of the rest of the series.

I wonder why this story wasn't used to kick off the second season, as most seasons of the series began with feature-length outings, and this story would have began the season much better than the disappointing 'Billy Joe Bob'. Maybe it was down to a two-hour slot not being available at that time, or maybe the story simply wasn't ready. I like how the story unfolds. It is not fast paced, but does not sag either; instead allowing the viewer to soak up the atmosphere and appreciate the depth that the series had over some of the other detective / adventure shows of the day.
    I find this episode works best if you've seen a number of previous episodes; when I very first saw this episode, I had only seen about three or four episodes previously, and didn't really fully appreciate the story. But when I came to watch it again, after watching the series from the Pilot, I understood the characters better, and really appreciated this story much more for it.

There are some great Magnum / Higgins moments in this story (Higgins is shown to be writing his memoirs for the first time, in what would become a recurring detail), and is a great example of how this truly Odd Couple deep down have great respect for each other.

There is also a great scene for Roger E. Mosley to get his teeth into, as T.C. tries to convince Michelle is no longer alive. I also like how the flashback to Vietnam leads on to the present, with T.C.'s 'Nam chopper flying along the coast into the present day. The shot doesn't really make sense when analysed, but works perfectly.

The plot of Magnum once having a bride, although an idea not conceived until this story, fits in to the history of the character perfectly, and is very believable. (As a side note, Magnum had previously commented in the first season's 'Beauty Knows No Pain' that he had never been married; but this could be explained away by the fact that he simply did not want to talk about it then).

Marta DuBois is mesmerising as Michelle, and the part is cast perfectly. We also see General Hue (Soon-Tech Oh) for the first time, and, although we only hear is voice in Part 1, Lance LeGault as the tough Colonel Buck Greene. LeGault, who had previously played another character in the first season's 'Missing In Action', would go on to play the recurring Colonel Decker in 'The A-Team'; I like all of LeGault's work, he has the deep-voiced by-any-means character down perfectly.
    Paul Burke also appears as Admiral Kitchner; rather confusingly to the casual viewer, Burke played different Admirals in different later episodes of the series.

On thing I really like about this episode – and this one is very personal to me – is that we get to see a close-up of Magnum's driving license. It gives his birthday as 1/05/46. Although this date would be contradicted in several later episodes, I like this date, as my birthday is also January 5th!

Review continued in Part 2.