Magnum, P.I.

One Picture is Worth

Aired Unknown Oct 08, 1986 on CBS

• Carol asks Magnum to protect a deaf artist who was the only surviving witness of a violent armed bank robbery. But the culprit is determined to see that she never makes it to testify. A pretty decent episode...

This review contains spoilers.

Well, after the shaky feature-length / two-part 'L.A.' at the top of the season, here we are back into the more familiar MPI fare.

This is the show's obligatory 'deaf' episode – it seemed every popular action / investigation / whatever show in the 1970's and 1980's felt obliged to do at least one episode centring around a deaf or blind character.

The deaf Linda is well played by Stephanie Dunnam, and thankfully the character is not presented in a patronising or preachy manner (as was sometimes the case in other shows of the era that attempted such a story).

We also get some nice Higgins scenes, as he communicates in sign language behind Magnum's back, and we even find that he is a keep amateur painter.

Sadly, after getting off to a promising start, the plot sags slightly in the middle, when Linda disappears, and the gang have to search for her. Here things descend into a more typical, generic hunt, which is a shame, as the story started off really well.

...But at least this does lead to one highlight scene where Higgins is forced to pose as Magnum – complete with cap and Hawaiian shirt. This is almost a precursor to the eighth season episode 'Pleasure Principal' – I wonder if this is where they got the idea?

Anyway, thankfully things pick up again in the final act, and the shootout at Linda's remote hideaway is pretty good.

All-in-all, not perfect – the sag in the middle is its main flaw, but even so, a very good episode, and a sure sign that the show was picking up again around this point.