Magnum, P.I.

Photo Play

Aired Unknown Apr 10, 1986 on CBS

• Magnum literally runs in a rather "overpowering" photographer-come-author, who needs to hire him to find out who the two thugs pursuing her are, and just why they are after her in the first place! A nice, humorous finale to the sixth season...

This review contains spoilers.

This episode, like many fifth and sixth season episode, this one splits the vote with fans. There are some episodes that some really like but I'm not keen on, whereas some people don't care for this episode – but personally I really like it.

It might not be one of the show's classic plots, but I enjoy it because of its humour – something that the show had lost for much of the fifth season and thankfully was getting back to by this point.

Cassie Yates plays Shelly, after playing a different character in season five's 'Kiss of the Sabre'. Like her character in that episode, Yates plays Shelly in an extremely annoying manner (and with a grating voice). However, unlike her previous role, I find this one more of a love-to-hate character than out-and-out dislikeable.

I really like Magnum having to give a speech and accept an award for saving a drowning cat from the tidal pool. It is quirky details such as this that makes the series such a joy to watch.

There are also some good car chase shots as Shelly is being pursued by the bad guys – like humour, action is something that the series had moved away from somewhat, and it is nice that the show is starting to include more of it again at this point.

The only thing about this episode that doesn't particularly work for me is the climax. Rich dressed in a curly blonde wig to pose as Shelly, T.C. flying overhead in the chopper... it doesn't feel particularly satisfying, and lets an otherwise enjoyable story down a little in my opinion.

But all-in-all, although some don't like it, I personally really like this episode. It has a nice amount of humour and little touches, and is a nice closer to the sixth season. I enjoy watching it enough to give it a very strong 9.5.
ESQUI