Magnum, P.I.

The People vs. Orville Wright

Aired Unknown Apr 01, 1987 on CBS

• Despite Selleck's Republican status, he advocates responsible arms use/control. Perhaps this was his way of making such a statement w/o contradicting Magnum's regular use of his 9mm.

It's interesting to note that Magnum didn't have his gun when he and T.C. were surveying Icepick's hideout. T.C. admonished Magnum for not bringing it along. Gun use must be okay if you have to render its user unconscious so that you can use the gun instead?
  • After Rick has gone to Ice Pick for some info to help Magnum on his latest case, a hitman is assigned to kill Ice Pick. Soon after, the hitman is found dead, and to Magnum's amazement, Rick claims he did it. Not one of the better episodes...

This review contains spoilers.

Although not the worst of the season (that goes to 'Novel Connection' in my opinion), I don't care very much for this episode.
    With such a notable story, of Rick being arrested for killing a hitman, using the word 'average' doesn't seem very apt, but even so, I find the majority of the proceedings a rather routine, uninspiring fare.

I find the plot hard to really get into, and in many ways, find the whole "did he really do it" a retread of several earlier examples (the first season's 'Thicker than Blood', involving T.C., springs to mind).
    At the same time, this doesn't quite rank as bottom-of-the-barrel material (there are a number of instalments from the weak fifth season to take that title over this ep).

Higgins deliberately interviewing unsuitable applicants to take over running the King Kamehameha Club while Rick is banged up is okay I suppose, but just doesn't feel as funny as it should have been in my opinion.

The only thing of real note with this episode is the surprise, shock ending – after all has been explained and ironed out and Rick is set free, he is suddenly arrested and send to prison for possession of firearms! This is a very unexpected last-minute twist, and is the only thing that really stands out about this story.

All-in-all, far from one of my favourites. Thankfully, things pick up again with the memorable final episode of the season, 'Limbo'.
  • Magnum busts a burglary ring with help from Icepick, who then disappears just as a mainland hitman shows up, apparently in retaliation. The hitman turns up dead and Rick takes the rap. The guys must prove Rick's innocence, which might be tough after he

This episode is notable not for its plot, which is a fairly standard "taking the rap for buddy/parent/sibling who didn't do it" sort of storyline, but for the epilogue, which is one of the few (if not only) times I can recall a network TV show coming down on draconian federal gun laws, as Rick is released from jail in a happy ending which quickly goes sour when an ATF agent shows up literally on the jailhouse steps with a warrant for Rick's arrest on charges relating to several war trophies, including an AK-47, Rick brought back from Vietnam, which were found by the cops in Rick's house and had nothing whatever to do with the crime he'd been jailed for. Rick winds up in the federal pokey and his cherished war trophies probably wind up under the torch.