Magnum, P.I.

This Island Isn't Big Enough...

Aired Unknown Feb 13, 1986 on CBS

• Out on his boat, Rick and his passengers are attacked by thugs. With no-one back home knowing what happened, Magnum finds himself joining forces with a detective who thinks he's John Wayne as they investigate. One of the worst eps of the entire series...

This review contains spoilers.

I criticised the previous episode, 'All Thieves on Deck', but at least it had a few redeeming moments. On the other hand, 'This Island Isn't Big Enough...' is a high candidate for worst episode of the entire series in my opinion.
    I had totally forgotten this one until I came to re-watch it to review – maybe my brain had blanked it out as it was so bad!

Detective Gordon Katsumoto, the John Wayne-wannabe, is played by Clyde Kusatsu, making his hundredth (!) appearance in the show. Whenever they wanted a Vietnamese / Asian actor, chances are they'd use Kusatsu!
    Kusatsu might be okay as a guest bit actor, but for a role like this, he is totally miscast. His scenes impersonating Wayne are as much unconvincing as they are toe-curlingly embarrassing. The sequence where he is examining the hotel room and finds the money, talking to himself in his (supposed) John Wayne drawl, is one of the worst sequences in the show's run!

The rest of the cast, including the main four actors and regular guest star Kathleen Lloyd (Carol), also feel like they're just going through the motions with this one, and the episode decidedly feels like filler material, to bump up the season's episode count.
    It comes to something when the only real notable element of an episode is when Ice Pick's real name (Francis Hofstetler) is revealed!

I could barely follow the plot of this one – maybe I just didn't care enough to pay attention, but even so, I just could not make the connection between some of the occurrences.
    Only at the very end of the episode, where Rick is finally found on the island, going insane, and the bad guys are taken care of, that the episode vaguely hints that there might have possibly been a good story somewhere in there.

I like Katsumoto's closing line, that in a film of the story, Magnum could be played by Burt Reynolds (Tom Selleck was sometimes dubbed "TV's Burt Reynolds" back in the day), but other than that, I'm glad to see the back of a truly terrible episode.
    There are so many quality instalments in MPI's run – I just hope that someone new to the show doesn't start with this episode, it's enough to put them off for life. A strong candidate for worst episode of the entire run.